Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 04:37 PM

201 posts, read 963,918 times

Advertisements

As far as resistance training goes. There's a difference between load and volume, as well as strength and power. More importantly whether it's cardio, weight training or both you need to change things up as the human body adapts quickly.

If you do the same training at the same pace, distance, intensity, etc. you'll hit a plateau no matter what kind it is. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 09:42 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,199,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
High intensity cardio will be the most valuable use of your time as far as burning calories. Strength training certainly burns calories, but not as much in the same amount of time, not even close, unless you are doing hard-core bodybuilder type of training. And if you are overweight, I doubt that is the case. Go for the cardio.
Respectfully disagree. While it is true 40 minutes of cardio will burn more calories than 40 minutes of lifting, that's not the end of the story. The body burns additional calories for several hours after lifting, not so much with cardio. Further, lifting will increase muscle mass, and muscle mass burns calories in and of itself.

If one is highly overweight, and fat loss is the only real goal (that is, the person doesn't really care to become more muscular, but just wants to lose fat), then I might agree cardio should be the focus, but I would NOT agree lifting has no place.

The ideal would, in my mind, be a combination of the two. And of course, as others have said, diet is KEY for weight loss. I'd look at it this way.

1. Get diet in line.
2. Do SOME KIND OF CARDIO EXERCISE. Something you enjoy preferably, because you'll keep doing it. Do it regularly
3. Add in some lifting.

If OP absolutely hates lifting, then its not strictly necessary of course, but I think an optimum weight loss program would include at least some lifting. And if the OP wants to gain LBM or anything, its a no brainer to include lifting, and possibly a decent bit of it.

And note, that lifting should generally, in my view, not be of the high rep variety, at least not most of the time. High rep lifting isn't much different than a form of cardio - to get the benefits of weight training, you need to lift fairly heavy.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:47 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,045,521 times
The other thing about lifting is that a well-designed weight program can help prevent over-use injuries common to high-intensity, high-impact cardio like running, particularly for people who are over-weight.

My own experience with running bears this out. For years, I tried to be a fitness runner, but as soon as I exceeded two miles at a time, I injured one or both of my knees and had to stop. It wasn't until I began working with a trainer, who started me on a simple lower body strength program, that I was finally able run consistently. And, once I could sustain the running for an extended period, my weight began to drop quickly.

I usually do three sets of eight traditional squats, plie squats, stationary or walking lunges, calf lifts, & deadlifts (or hamstring curls using a Swiss ball). By the time I'm done, I'm wiped. The difference has been amazing, not just in my running, but also in the overall shape of my legs. And, even other people are noticing the change in the way I carry myself.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 05-12-2009 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 04-22-2010, 06:18 PM

739 posts, read 2,261,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejl127 View Post
What are you looking to accomplish? For general body fat loss and lean muscle gain first and foremost is nutrition as stated above. You need to burn more calories than you ingest, bottom line. Whether that's from cardio, weight training or both does not matter. That being said resistance training goes a long way as far as burning calories and more so increasing lean muscle. Muscle burns calories so you want more muscle.

What's worked for me as far as building lean muscle and losing body fat is full body resistance training. Done so in a circuit or minimal rests between sets type training. An example would be push up's instead of bench press. Push ups incorporate more muscles than lying on a bench. I rarely lie or sit on a machine. I try to do all body weight exercises, exercises while standing, or on a stability ball. This way it activates more muscles thus more calories burned.

Do you belong to a gym?
Pushups do not increase strength though at a point they are more aerobic than anything. If I can benchpress 2.5 times my weight and I switched to only doing pushups I would actually get weaker. I know from experience because I got weaker at the navy bootcamp. bodyweight exercises only work if you are already extremely weak.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:59 PM

78,271 posts, read 60,479,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
If one is overweight than what is better? High reps and 3 sets of each machine or heavier weights and maybe only do two more intense sets?
IMO, the correct answer is whatever helps you feel better and keep coming back longterm.

When embarking on a program of exercise after getting out of shape the biggest problem is getting hurt or discouraged....not so much what exercise you are doing. As the weight starts to come off you can get a bit more serious but for starters just do what is getting you steady sustainable results.

Just my humble opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness