U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 AM

341 posts, read 1,339,636 times

Advertisements

I already walk (treadmill if weather is bad which is alot here) & lift light weights. Has anyone had any experience with yoga? Any benefits? I can get my peace of mind time in a hot bath with a good book. Looking to see if it has toning possibilities. Anyone? Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 04:02 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,468,097 times
Wow, I cannot believe no replies yet.

Here's my 2 cents, keeping in mind that my yoga experience is limited.

I've taken a handful of classes. A few at a "yoga center" and few at a health club. The yoga center classes seem to attract the more serious practitioners. Best if you are looking for the whole "lifestyle" thing...peace of mind, meditation yada yada yada.

The gym/health club classes are more about stretching. Feels great, less filling.

I eventually resorted to renting a few DVDs and working out on my own at home.

You can google "yoga" and find piles of info and reviews on-line.

I also like pilates for stretching and core-strength.

What I get from it?

Improved flexibility and balance. Better controlled breathing during strenuous physical efforts. I'm a runner and a cyclist so those are important to me.

Good luck.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:42 PM

Thank U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-09-2007, 10:45 PM

2,161 posts, read 7,484,341 times
Yoga, like yogurt, has all sorts of "flavors". Some types of yoga are geared towards meditation / relaxation / unwinding. There is a "fitness yoga" variety with more stretches and movements that work a variety of muscle groups, which sounds like what you're after. All kinds of choices, main thing is to find something that you enjoy, otherwise it seems like some kind of "exercise routine".

Old 04-10-2007, 10:15 AM

Definitely for fitness. Would like to mostly stretch. Thanx!

Old 04-10-2007, 03:52 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,149,758 times
I tried it once and was floored by the fact that I was drenched in sweat at the end of my session. I'm in fairly good shape, active, and work out (mostly weights but some cardio too), but yoga was really hard for me. I was focusing more on improving flexibility and stretching, and while it was extremely difficult while doing it, I felt really good afterwards, nice and loose like my limbs just moved much better. I plan to start back up doing it in the coming months just because I like a challenge.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:23 PM

489 posts, read 1,830,057 times
I was also surprised at the difficulty of something that looked so benign and like such a waste of time. LOLOL What I like most about it, though, is it is SO CHALLENGING physically that it is one of very few things that I've found over the course of 39 years that forces me to be in the moment. It totally shuts my mind down (I have a mind that never stops!), and all I am thinking about and CAN THINK ABOUT is getting and staying in the proper position. That is why I LOVE it. Doing yoga on a very regular basis dones tone, tighten, and seems to lengthen the larger muscles of the body - which gives a very thin appearance. Wonderful!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,735 times
Default Yoga music anyone!?!?

Have you heard about the new "Sacred Blessings" CD? It's a collection of songs inspired by the world's great faiths, all handpicked by life coach ANTHONY ROBBINS. The CD features chants/mantras/music by Deva Premal, Miten & Craig Pruess. Its perfect for releasing your mind while meditating and doing yoga. Listen to some of the tracks like "I Love You Lord", "So much Magnificance", "You can Relax now" and my personal favorite the "Gayatri Mantra". You can sample some tracks at < http://www.kosmicmusic.com/Product.d...tegory=_future > and buy the CD there, or at your local retail store

Old 03-26-2008, 08:20 PM

342 posts, read 1,582,813 times
I highly recommend yoga.

I've done bikram yoga, where they heat up the room, and it was awesome. It's "just stretching", but it's quite a workout. I was working out muscles I didn't know even existed. Plus, as with any workout, you feel refreshed and invigorated afterwards. As far as benefits, you will get toned and have increased flexibility. A lot of martial artists now also practice yoga because this added flexibility helps produce increased speed and power.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:31 AM

444 posts, read 922,859 times
If you vinyasa yoga it is fast moving and can raise your heart beat and get you sweating just as if you did a cardio workout. Some of the movents you are moving your entire body and the more muscles you use the more fat and calories you burn. I do this everyday and it makes me feel great it is like 3 workouts in one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness