Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 AM
YBF YBF started this thread

1,260 posts, read 3,358,051 times

Advertisements

Ok so I am getting serious about losing some major weight now (30-40 lbs) and I am starting to Power walk/Jog and few times a week to start off hoping to increase time and intensity as I progress. But my question is I get up early in the morning before work to walk/jog...so should I eat breakfast first or wait until after I come back in? How about eating something like a banana on my way out the door and a light breakfast when I return? Please help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 10:41 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
I have always been an advocate of doing early morning cardio workouts on an empty stomach. Since you're carb depleted in the morning, your body will use your fat as its primary source of energy. At the most, you can have maybe half a cup of black coffee before your cardio run/walk.

After your run/walk, you should have half a grapefruit and a bananna or a bowl of quaker oats (not instant) with some blueberries or dried cranberries.

If this is the only time you will be exercising you will need to make sure that you really go for as long and hard as possible. Really up the intensity in your training.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:55 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I don't like to eat before I work out in the morning, either. Food sloshing around while I'm walking/running? No thanks!

Include some protein in your post-walk breakfast. It'll help you stay satisfied throughout the morning. And water, too.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:35 PM

86 posts, read 326,165 times
I usually just eat a small sandwich before I do my jog/walk in the morning. Just enough so I don't feel hungry while doing my workout.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrej View Post
I usually just eat a small sandwich before I do my jog/walk in the morning. Just enough so I don't feel hungry while doing my workout.
If you get to the point where you can feel that you "feel hungry" then you are not really working out. What do you do, walk (very slowly)?

Morning cardio on an empty stomach is by far the best method.

What exactly is a "small sandwich" anyway? Bread is almost all the same size. I would think that a almond butter sandwich on whole wheat bread would be a good after workout snack.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:04 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Exercising on an empty stomach is a bad idea for more than one reason. I would never recommend that.

Here is what my eating schedule is like on my low carb diet.

Breakfast:
2-4 extra large eggs. 2 if I have meat, 3 or 4 if it's just eggs
1 slice of ham or turkey ham
8oz protein shake if I just have the eggs
1 multivitamin pill
1 flax seed oil gelcap

First snack:
8oz protein shake
1 or 2 cheese sticks

Lunch:
Any kind of lean meat. Chicken, steak, ham, fish...etc.
Maybe another cheese stick or two.

Pre-workout snack:
8oz protein shake
5g of creatine
5g of glutamine

Dinner:
Again, basically any kind of meat or fish, with a serving of green beans or cottage cheese.
1 flax seed oil gelcap
200ml liquid fish oil

Nighttime snack:
8oz protein shake or;
A couple slices of lunch meat and cheese.

Also, if you're looking to lose that kind of weight, I'd stay away from any major cardio and do high intensity weight lifting instead, I.E low weight, 12-20 reps and 3 sets.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:24 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Exercising on an empty stomach is a bad idea for more than one reason. I would never recommend that.

Breakfast:
1 multivitamin pill
1 flax seed oil gelcap

First snack:
8oz protein shake
1 or 2 cheese sticks

Lunch:

Pre-workout snack:
8oz protein shake
5g of creatine
5g of glutamine

Dinner:
Again, basically any kind of meat or fish, with a serving of green beans or cottage cheese.
1 flax seed oil gelcap
200ml liquid fish oil

Nighttime snack:
8oz protein shake or;

Also, if you're looking to lose that kind of weight, I'd stay away from any major cardio and do high intensity weight lifting instead, I.E low weight, 12-20 reps and 3 sets.
Man, that's intense.

If I follow that diet, I'll probably die.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

Breakfast:
1 multivitamin pill
1 flax seed oil gelcap

First snack:
8oz protein shake
1 or 2 cheese sticks

Lunch:

Pre-workout snack:
8oz protein shake
5g of creatine
5g of glutamine

Dinner:
1 flax seed oil gelcap
200ml liquid fish oil

Nighttime snack:
8oz protein shake or;

Interesting. Too bad you either didnt read the OP post or you didnt understand her. But thats cool.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:15 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Man, that's intense.

If I follow that diet, I'll probably die.
It looks rough on paper, but once you get into the habit of eating every 2-3 hours it's not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Interesting. Too bad you either didnt read the OP post or you didnt understand her. But thats cool.
I read it and understood it just fine. I chose to give her a breakdown of my diet that has been highly successful since the OP seemed to need a little guidance.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:39 AM
YBF YBF started this thread

1,260 posts, read 3,358,051 times
Thanks for all the replies. My workouts will most likely always be in the mornings before work and on the weekends. I think that working on an empty stomach worked fine the first day although I was really really drained towards the end of it. On my way back home I felt really worn out (I walked a while then ran for as long as I could then walked again to catch my breath...I am really out of shape so I felt I did the best I could for a beginner) Any other tips you guys have that will be helpful please post em for me!!! Thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness