Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:39 AM

551 posts, read 1,921,163 times

Advertisements

Some suppliments help with rapid recovory time. If you are pushing hard and taking suppliments be careful you are not over doing it for yourself. In the past, I've taken two cycles of testosterone suppliments. I was never sore no matter how much weight I lifted. & I lifted a lot during the cycles with no bad side effects. If you are not taking suppliments and miss that soreness feeling, do as someone else has suggested and change up your workout. I would rather not be sore. I've been so sore before that I couldn't move. BUT again...during that time I just upped my protein intake and that helped. Which leads me back to my first sentence. If you are taking suppliments, maybe that along with being back in the routine, is why you are not sore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 05:52 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,435,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
If i wake up the next day and don't feel muscle soreness, did I not push it hard enough in my previous workout?

I've always had on and off streaks with working out, I'd go with it for a bit, then stop, then start again. Every time I started after a break, my muscles would be sore for a few days. If I kept up with it, I would notice less soreness a few weeks in. Is that because my muscles started to adjust, or do I need to push it harder?
My personal trainer said that you don't notice it straight away, it should be the next day.

As a previous poster said I believe it just takes time to adjust, no need to push harder, just keep the technique right and work harder and it will click together.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:19 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,865,842 times
You should feel a little bit of soreness, but if it really hurts (to the point your limping or can barely lift your arm), then stop for a while. If you push it further you risk getting an injury then.

I get a little sore after every long run (more than 4 miles). It's quite normal in running/jogging. But if it's really bad then I won't run for 3 days or so. I sometimes do push myself a little too fast sometimes, but I've been doing it since I was 12 and have experienced some minor, common running injuries. Hey, they go with the territory sometimes, you know.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,394 times
I am fourteen and after a workout I will be sore, however I am not gaining anything and I seem to have hit a platau but I am sore. I like to do 5 sets of 8 and that might be the reason but otherwise I am really confused.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:36 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,860,959 times
SmallG, it depends on:

1) how new you are to lifting. If you've just started, it may take a few weeks for your body to adjust to the new demands of lifting weights so you're no longer sore after every workout. (Keep in mind that feeling a little stiff afterward is good. It shows that you've had a good, effective workout.)

2) how often you work the same muscles. You need time off--a minimum of one off-day--between workouts with the same muscles. It's during this rest period that the muscle tissue rebuilds, a little stronger than it was before, as an adaptation to the demands of strength training. Keep working the same muscles day after day after day without a rest, and you're just breaking down muscle tissue without allowing the chance for it to rebuild.

3) WHAT YOU EAT. You need to eat, and especially to consume plenty of protein, to provide the fuel for rebuilding muscle tissue broken down by strenuous workouts.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:30 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,959,838 times
Muscle soreness and tiredness - I actually enjoy those feelings; for me they indicate I pushed myself and that my body is reacting or going to react.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:32 AM

209 posts, read 301,042 times
My body will adapt to specific workouts after a few weeks. The soreness that was initially there, subsides. I like to change it up at that point to avoid plateauing.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:46 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,362,991 times
Unless you're a beginner or unless you are beginning a new routine, the answer is an emphatic "no."

At the beginning of hiking season in May, after I do a 16 mile hike with 5,000 elevation gain, I am sore. I might be a little sore for the next 2 or 3 hikes. But by October, when I do the Grand Canyon rim to rim to rim (48 miles with a 12,000 elevation foot gain), I am not sore. My body's adapted.

Persistent soreness after exercising is not good and it's your body telling you something. Unless you're a beginner or just starting a new activity.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:17 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,470,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Unless you're a beginner or unless you are beginning a new routine, the answer is an emphatic "no."

At the beginning of hiking season in May, after I do a 16 mile hike with 5,000 elevation gain, I am sore. I might be a little sore for the next 2 or 3 hikes. But by October, when I do the Grand Canyon rim to rim to rim (48 miles with a 12,000 elevation foot gain), I am not sore. My body's adapted.

Persistent soreness after exercising is not good and it's your body telling you something. Unless you're a beginner or just starting a new activity.
Yes....its your body telling you that your workout was good enough to make you stronger. Plus you probably not roiding....which is supposed to almost eliminate soreness?

Old 03-31-2011, 02:57 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,571,660 times
If you feel soreness like "oh i'm a bit sore" then it's alright and you can go at it again the day after...

If your soreness is like "HOLY FKN CHRIST IT HURTS AND I CANT MOVE!!!" then you need to chill out until it's mild... take about 4~days off, do an easy workout(warmup) and stretch it out good. Each stretched muscle should be held stretched for at least 40 seconds, or the tissue that surrounds the muscle will shrink again.(It's this tissue that gets too short, not the muscle, though I don't know the terminology in english but I guess "musclemembrane" is the closest I think of.)

In either case your body will adapt and a few weeks in your soreness will never get really bad, it will just be there to remind you of your great workout.

Last edited by SwedishViking; 03-31-2011 at 03:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness