Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 09:03 PM

1,802 posts, read 3,170,492 times

Advertisements

If i wake up the next day and don't feel muscle soreness, did I not push it hard enough in my previous workout?

I've always had on and off streaks with working out, I'd go with it for a bit, then stop, then start again. Every time I started after a break, my muscles would be sore for a few days. If I kept up with it, I would notice less soreness a few weeks in. Is that because my muscles started to adjust, or do I need to push it harder?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 09:19 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,637,889 times
It's because your muscles are adjusting again. Pushing harder will only make you more sore!

Old 06-13-2009, 11:10 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,960,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
If i wake up the next day and don't feel muscle soreness, did I not push it hard enough in my previous workout?
Yes, you should feel some soreness if you were really pushing yourself during a workout like you should be, however it should be tolerable soreness and should decrease as you spend more and more time at the gym.

If you're sore take an anti-inflammatory like Advil or ibuprofen. Also, be careful not to mistake soreness for an injury, and vice versa.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:28 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,314,878 times
Yep, the soreness is normal after an especially hard workout. Try keeping it up and sustaining the workouts, as you said, your muscles are adjusting.

But don't push so hard all the time that they're always sore. That is not good for the body.

Do 1 rep of the heaviest you can do and then multiply by 1/2 and do 3 sets of 10 reps., that is what you should do if you want to build endurance. Multiply by 3/4 and do 3 sets 6-8 reps, and that is for strength building.

As always, though, listen to your body. If it quits on you, don't push it beyond that. Just stop.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:06 AM

72 posts, read 450,723 times
Are you stretching enough? Alot of soreness could be due to lack of stretching.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:21 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,062,141 times
No...once I get really into it, even when I increase the weights and really go nuts, I don't get sore after a while...talked to a couple of trainers who said that was normal.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:03 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,790,209 times
With soreness your body will eventually adapt and it will cease. If you are that in love with pain just constantly change your routines up to target different parts of the muscle. There are also ways to trick your muscle into growing more and getting through walls. Eventually though it will come down hard on your body in other ways such as hemheroids (spelling), torn ligaments, pulled muscles, fatigue, and irregular sleep patterns to name a few.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:35 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,931,353 times
I don't think it's a matter of wether your muscles should or shouldn't be sore after each workout. It's more a matter of wether they ARE sore or NOT sore. Adjust your workout to leave your muscles feeling the way that you would like them to feel after a workout. Only you know what is best for your body. Trust your experience and make the opinion of everone else of secondary importance.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:01 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,663,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post

I've always had on and off streaks with working out, I'd go with it for a bit, then stop, then start again. Every time I started after a break, my muscles would be sore for a few days. If I kept up with it, I would notice less soreness a few weeks in. Is that because my muscles started to adjust, or do I need to push it harder?
There is a distinct possibility that I'm exactly wrong, but I always felt that a lack of muscular soreness after a workout was good indication that I had not stressed myself enough to yield growth/progress.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:27 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,131,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
There is a distinct possibility that I'm exactly wrong, but I always felt that a lack of muscular soreness after a workout was good indication that I had not stressed myself enough to yield growth/progress.
This is quite true; your muscles are pretty smart actually. They will adapt and conform to your routines, which is why the soreness goes away after repetition of the same routines. Switching up your routine will not only keep you feeling that good pain but it will also help your muscles and your body from achieving stagnation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness