U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2009, 10:17 AM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,978 posts, read 28,645,243 times
Reputation: 10491

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
In most cases, people have control over their behaviors. And yes, in most cases of obesity, people have to learn to exercise control over their eating.
Exactly. But this is why I tend to believe that its also a form of mental illness as well. How could you KNOW that you are obese/unhealthy but still allow whatever "power" certain foods have over you control you? Just like in another active thread someone says "Oh, I love my soda I dont want to give it up". Its like they lack the mental filter that lies between their taste buds and brain that should interrupt them by saying "youre being stupid, you keep drinking soda and eating bad foods you will DIE".

I also say WTF to the poster who said "food is addicting". No one is "addicted" to sugar, cakes, fried chicken, cold stone ice cream. We all have to eat to survive (and to fuel our vehicles aka our bodies). Its just that some people lack that certain something that says to them "this is bad for me".

Same can be said for exercise. Maybe it has to do more with stupidity than being mentally ill but I have a hard to really distinguishing between the two. Someone could start a thread saying "I really need to lose weight, what kind of exercise routines should I be doing?". Those of us who know a thing or two about fitness would recommend great routines as well as nutrition plans to help them, only to get not response back from the OP or maybe something like, "It seems difficult". Then you have some "WTF" posters who dont know sh*t about health/fitness/nutrition come in and say "Do fluidity", "Take HCG Shots", "Do coffee master clean colonics" or some other "cheap a$$ useless routine/product sold on late night infomercials. The OP would then respond and strike up conversations with these idiots and their usless/harmful recommendations and say "Oh, I'll try it since it seems easier to do than the exercises recommended by Dabeez, Lola, TwiloMike, etc."

Bottom line is I just dont get how obese/extreme obese people can continue their harmful ways of eating/exercising when they KNOW they are killing themselves. I think there HAS to be some mental imbalance/issue if a person knows what is right, but just keeps on choosing to do what is harmful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2009, 10:23 AM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,978 posts, read 28,645,243 times
Reputation: 10491
Its like telling someone "Hey, you know you really shouldnt put that paint thinner in your cereal as it could kill you", but they person says, "Yeah I know, but I really like how it makes it taste" and the continue to put it in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 10:30 AM
 
Location: SUNNY AZ
4,589 posts, read 11,706,173 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Exactly. But this is why I tend to believe that its also a form of mental illness as well. How could you KNOW that you are obese/unhealthy but still allow whatever "power" certain foods have over you control you? Just like in another active thread someone says "Oh, I love my soda I dont want to give it up". Its like they lack the mental filter that lies between their taste buds and brain that should interrupt them by saying "youre being stupid, you keep drinking soda and eating bad foods you will DIE".

I also say WTF to the poster who said "food is addicting". No one is "addicted" to sugar, cakes, fried chicken, cold stone ice cream. We all have to eat to survive (and to fuel our vehicles aka our bodies). Its just that some people lack that certain something that says to them "this is bad for me".

Same can be said for exercise. Maybe it has to do more with stupidity than being mentally ill but I have a hard to really distinguishing between the two. Someone could start a thread saying "I really need to lose weight, what kind of exercise routines should I be doing?". Those of us who know a thing or two about fitness would recommend great routines as well as nutrition plans to help them, only to get not response back from the OP or maybe something like, "It seems difficult". Then you have some "WTF" posters who dont know sh*t about health/fitness/nutrition come in and say "Do fluidity", "Take HCG Shots", "Do coffee master clean colonics" or some other "cheap a$$ useless routine/product sold on late night infomercials. The OP would then respond and strike up conversations with these idiots and their usless/harmful recommendations and say "Oh, I'll try it since it seems easier to do than the exercises recommended by Dabeez, Lola, TwiloMike, etc."

Bottom line is I just dont get how obese/extreme obese people can continue their harmful ways of eating/exercising when they KNOW they are killing themselves. I think there HAS to be some mental imbalance/issue if a person knows what is right, but just keeps on choosing to do what is harmful.
They're still getting a pay-off from it...in some way they have to be getting a payoff from it otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. Maybe they don't have the support, maybe they don't truly want to, maybe they keep procrastinating, maybe they tried, didn't see results right away and gave up....there are many excuses out there but the fact is that human beings DO NOT do things that they don't get a payoff from....it's humanly impossible to continue to do something of your own free will when you are not recieving this payoff....how many times would you purposely cut your hand off before you decide not to do it anymore??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,506 posts, read 49,220,422 times
Reputation: 24538
I have Sleep Apnea and when it overcomes the C-pap unit I am using I push food to stay functional. I have gained nearly 10 pound per month for the last six months. I have just changed to a new machine and hope I get enough sleep to let me actually diet. I can tell you that exercise becomes a major problem when both Achilles tendons become painfully inflamed. I guess I'll have to take up swimming.

What is bad about drinking Diet coke to eliminate the sugar intake? I can practically live on coffee and DC.

Last edited by GregW; 06-30-2009 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: added line of text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,051 posts, read 56,839,030 times
Reputation: 51771
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Exactly. But this is why I tend to believe that its also a form of mental illness as well. How could you KNOW that you are obese/unhealthy but still allow whatever "power" certain foods have over you control you?
How can someone with diabetes know that certain foods and behaviors threaten his/her health, yet do it anyway? Is that person mentally ill? What about smokers who keep smoking? People with cardiac diseasen who eat bacon at every meal? Are they all mentally ill, too?

Quote:
Maybe it has to do more with stupidity than being mentally ill but I have a hard to really distinguishing between the two.
The problem seems to be on your end. Why did you start this thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 02:20 PM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,978 posts, read 28,645,243 times
Reputation: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
How can someone with diabetes know that certain foods and behaviors threaten his/her health, yet do it anyway? Is that person mentally ill? What about smokers who keep smoking? People with cardiac diseasen who eat bacon at every meal? Are they all mentally ill, too?


The problem seems to be on your end. Why did you start this thread?
Sounds like someone's feathers have been ruffled.

Thread was started because many obese people I have come across in my life (and those who post here who wont come out and admit that they are obese, but everyone knows it because they get so bent out of shape when anyone says anything (be it positive or negative) about obese people) and more often than not (a majority of the time) these people are unable to choose between - A) Eating healthy foods that will help get them on track to being healthy; or B) Continuing to eat whatever greasy, fatty, sugary, starchy, high calorie food they have been eating forever.

Some I have worked with who have overcome this and began eating right and exercising and lost a lot of weight were the ones who were just able to stop all the dangerous habits (poor diet and no or poor exercise) to achieve their goals. Those who fail, are the ones who (as I have said before) are unable to pass up a krispy kreme doughnut, cake, soda, etc. even though they know its bad for them. They seem to say, "yeah, I know I shouldnt be eating this, but I just have to have it". Why the "F" do you "HAVE" to have it if you know youre already obese? Thats the point of the thread. Why, when given something as powerful as knowledge do people choose to ignore it? That is where the mental "illness"/disconnect come in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 02:31 PM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,978 posts, read 28,645,243 times
Reputation: 10491
Do you think people who play Russian Roulette have some form of mental illness/instability? I do. I think its not much different when it comes to people who are obese who continue to eat raw cookie dough, bacon cheeseburgers, soda, or walk to the local 7 Eleven with their dog and say "I exercised", when their doctor is telling them that they must lose weight because of the strain on their circulatory system, joints, heart, etc. I see no difference in it.

It makes me feel even worse when these people have kids. Why play Russian Roulette with your life when you have children who need you to be around? Its like "well, I know I am at risk for heart disease, diabetes, etc. but I really just have to have a supersized quarter pounder meal deal and diet coke".

Alcohol and especially tobacco are habit forming addictive drugs, food is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 04:00 PM
 
5,019 posts, read 12,418,369 times
Reputation: 6949
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Alcohol and especially tobacco are habit forming addictive drugs, food is not.
Obviously, you have never had an eating disorder.

Food, or, conversely, not eating food, can be very very addictive. The rush a bulimic gets from consuming that "trigger" food, then purging??? Better than shopping for shoes!!! Or when you are anorexic and you get that awesome sweet sick smell after you have exercised to the point of ketosis? Yeah baby.

Been there, done that.

A visit to your local chapter of OA may give you some insight.

I think of eating disorders (all of them, including overeating) as long slow suicide. And, yes, I think they are depressive disorders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 04:54 PM
 
947 posts, read 2,772,430 times
Reputation: 721
[quote=DaBeez;9540899]Sounds like someone's feathers have been ruffled.
Thread was started because many obese people I have come across in my life (and those who post here who wont come out and admit that they are obese, but everyone knows it because they get so bent out of shape when anyone says anything (be it positive or negative) about obese people)

************************************************** ***********
You are kidding right? You can tell a person is obese based on what they say? Not on whether or not you met them? Since you can tell a person is obese based on what they type on CD - Can you also tell a person is obese when you talk to them on the phone? Do you then proceed to chew them out and say "WTF" put down that candybar!

Amazing. You should get your own T.V. show.
Rose~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Gary, WV & Springfield, ME
5,826 posts, read 8,421,541 times
Reputation: 17245
To all who responded here and are not suffering from some form of obesity, shame on you!

There are a myriad of necessary medications which have a nasty side effect of increased appetite and you'd be surprised at how many doctors and pharmacists neglect to mention it to their patients - and if they do, they will them tell their patients that there is no alternative. You would also be surprised at the number of patients who have legitimate reasons - not associated with obesity - why they cannot burn off as much as they take in to keep an even keel.

I take it personally because I was one of those fit and vibrant people all my life. I used to go hiking, jogging, trained horses, worked full time and ran working farm in my spare time and rarely sat still for any length of time. That was the first half-century. The second half is proving to be more challenging and while my health issues are not about to be discussed here, I dare say that those who post here negatively are talking about people they know nothing about. I know nobody asked me for my input first and It just is not anyone's business why someone else has a weight problem, addiction, disabling illness, either mental or physical.

In short, stop pointing out the speck in someone else's eye when there is a beam in your own. Nobody is so perfect that they have a right to point an accusing finger at anyone else. There is enough hate and contempt in the world. Soften your heart to the things you know nothing of, be less critical of those who are different than yourself. We are all family on this little planet. Why can't we all just get along?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top