U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2009, 05:20 PM
 
5,019 posts, read 8,790,221 times
Reputation: 6734
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I agree with everything you said, and for me it isn't larger people that are annoying, but rather lazy people.
Funny, I have the same prejudice! I don't care if you wear a size 2 or a size 20, but if I see you a) circle around the parking lot for a "close spot" more than once, or b) toss any piece of trash out of your car window or 3) watch you ditch your grocery cart in the lot instead of returning it to the cart-corral....well you earn a huge black mark in my book.

I also have a thing about "gym rats" (since we are admitting our biases here). Yeah, so I am going to step on a lot of toes now. I guess I just don't see the point of pumping oneself up, of the sweat and effort and time spent, just to stand in front of a mirror and preen and feel superior. WTF?

There is a whole, big wide world out there. Get out in it! Consider transferring some of that strength and fitness into, oh, cycling, running, hiking, surfing, paddling, climbing etc etc etc. Geeze!

Finally, I do respect those who have eating issues and admire those who are stuggling to overcome them. I consider anorexia and bulimia to be close cousins to overeating:

Quote:
My experience with overweight people, as well as other addicts, is that many of us are victims of trauma/abuse somewhere down the line.
Amen to that.

And finally, fitness does not alway come in a size 2 (women) or a 28-inch waist (men).
Once I left the world of distance running and added some new sports to my repertoire (cycling and swimming) I started to notice and appreciate the fact that there are some big, strong people on this planet. I never ever underestimte the power and strength of a larger competitor out in the field, in the pool, or on the road!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2009, 07:20 PM
 
947 posts, read 1,998,836 times
Reputation: 703
[quote=lorilou;9643917]
Quote:

Okay, let's play by your rules: I'm fat...hope that makes you feel better.
I cannot get a grasp of what you do, but I have picked up several references that you somehow "work" with overweight clients? My God, I hope NOT. Your lack of knowledge and compassion is very disturbing.
Somehow you really seem to believe that this is a simple topic. Your stream of consciousness says, "I have no problems putting down donuts, therefore no one else should either...I exercise everyday, why can't everyone else?" Are you really that simplistic? Really?
Do you think that people who go through life being ostracized and criticized by the likes of you consider this rejection a matter of choice? You seem to believe that just because you think something, it is now scientific evidence. Maybe you have a problem with arrogance or narcissism, you might want to look into that. Maybe it's a mental disorder.
My experience with overweight people, as well as other addicts, is that many of us are victims of trauma/abuse somewhere down the line. Wrongly, I will admit, we use food--or drugs, or alcohol, or bulimia, or exercise even--to insulate ourselves from our deep-seated fears. THIS, my friend, is the unspoken truth on this thread, not something as simple as admitting we are overweight or obese.
You might want to consider this for a few moments before you just react out of anger. So much of what you have contributed here is simply rude and hurtful to the people who suffer in silence.
Well there you go! Well Said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2009, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,444 posts, read 16,584,109 times
Reputation: 15560
read this thread with great interest, and the quote that kept coming to mind? "Fat bashing is the last acceptable prejudice here in the US". Just wish I could remember who said it, it is soooooo true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2009, 09:27 PM
 
Location: James Island, SC
1,628 posts, read 2,335,074 times
Reputation: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Stress and the related side-effects (including over-eating and inactivity) need to be addressed. We also need to address our car-depandent culture and lack of leisure time.
Not only stress, but depression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2009, 09:28 PM
 
Location: James Island, SC
1,628 posts, read 2,335,074 times
Reputation: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I also have a thing about "gym rats" (since we are admitting our biases here). Yeah, so I am going to step on a lot of toes now. I guess I just don't see the point of pumping oneself up, of the sweat and effort and time spent, just to stand in front of a mirror and preen and feel superior. WTF?

There is a whole, big wide world out there. Get out in it! Consider transferring some of that strength and fitness into, oh, cycling, running, hiking, surfing, paddling, climbing etc etc etc. Geeze!
I'm right there with ya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2009, 09:31 PM
 
Location: James Island, SC
1,628 posts, read 2,335,074 times
Reputation: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Actually it is. We all share the same health care system, one that's overburdened with treating people who have obesity-related illnesses. Our health care premiums go up every year, in part to because the cost of treating these illnesses goes up and because more and more people develop them. That means folks like myself who eat healthy, stay in shape, and rarely need to see a doctor are paying for the people who are obese.


The one thing that rarely gets mentioned (probably because it's not PC) is that people need to take more responsibility for their health. I'm not saying everyone who's obese is guilty of bad behavior. But too many are and we're all paying for it.

What about people like me? I have what most people think of as an obesity-related illness: Asthma.

I was first diagnosed AFTER I ran my FIRST MARATHON. I was practically underweight, in both BMI and body fat percentage.

Last edited by Mearth; 07-07-2009 at 09:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2009, 09:38 PM
 
Location: James Island, SC
1,628 posts, read 2,335,074 times
Reputation: 920
To answer the original question:

I don't believe that obesity is in itself a mental illness, but I do believe (barring a physiological problem like congestive heart failure, or a blown out thyroid) that obese people have underlying, diagnosable mental health problems.

Unfortunately, those problems are rarely caught, because too many people are too busy calling them "lazy" - including themselves.

Example: I worked with an older woman who was tremendously overweight. So much so, that it took a year of working with her before she had the strength to do the amount of work where she could even begin to lose weight. It was clear as I got to know her, that she had loads of negative thoughts about herself. Had she ever seen a therapist? I asked. Yes, but it didn't seem to work. What about medication? Didn't work either. She pretty much had given up. Sadly, and frustratingly, depression is a self-perpetuating disease: it keeps you from seeking the help needed to recover from it, and keeps you hopeless about any potential solutions.

Example 2: I gained an unprecedented amount of weight. My therapist it was because of the medication it was on. I said, "No, I don't want to make excuses." He was SURE it wasn't just my willpower. He was also sure I had become depressed (as opposed to anxious). I said, "No, this isn't depression, it's just me."

I am speaking as someone who went to GRAD school for clinical psychology, and I was still in denial.

People need support systems who are willing to recognize when they are not themselves. I was not myself. Fortunately, I had someone who saw what I couldn't. Now I feel SO much better, and am on a different medication that lacks the weight-gain side effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 05:48 AM
 
1,354 posts, read 1,199,264 times
Reputation: 22432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
I don't believe that obesity is in itself a mental illness, but I do believe (barring a physiological problem like congestive heart failure, or a blown out thyroid) that obese people have underlying, diagnosable mental health problems.
Mearth, you raise some interesting points in your post. I would want to modify your statement a bit, just because I think that you inadvertently overstate your point. Some obese people have underlying diagnosable mental health problems. As I suggested in my first post, I think that we need to be clear on how we are defining obesity. Are we defining it as being 40lbs overweight, or 400lbs overweight? This distinction is important because it's one of mild obesity vs morbid obesity. I would speculate that mental health-related problems are much more common among morbidly obese people. Yet, most people who are obese are not morbidly obese.

Of course, I would never want to underestimate the power that mental health-related problems have on our overall physical health. However, I think that we do a disservice to everyone when we broadly state that obesity, in and of itself, is caused by an underlying mental health problem. I staunchly believe that this is blatantly false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 06:01 AM
 
9,856 posts, read 7,309,379 times
Reputation: 5297
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Funny, I have the same prejudice! I don't care if you wear a size 2 or a size 20, but if I see you a) circle around the parking lot for a "close spot" more than once, or b) toss any piece of trash out of your car window or 3) watch you ditch your grocery cart in the lot instead of returning it to the cart-corral....well you earn a huge black mark in my book.

I also have a thing about "gym rats" (since we are admitting our biases here). Yeah, so I am going to step on a lot of toes now. I guess I just don't see the point of pumping oneself up, of the sweat and effort and time spent, just to stand in front of a mirror and preen and feel superior. WTF?

There is a whole, big wide world out there. Get out in it! Consider transferring some of that strength and fitness into, oh, cycling, running, hiking, surfing, paddling, climbing etc etc etc. Geeze!

Finally, I do respect those who have eating issues and admire those who are stuggling to overcome them. I consider anorexia and bulimia to be close cousins to overeating:



Amen to that.

And finally, fitness does not alway come in a size 2 (women) or a 28-inch waist (men).
Once I left the world of distance running and added some new sports to my repertoire (cycling and swimming) I started to notice and appreciate the fact that there are some big, strong people on this planet. I never ever underestimte the power and strength of a larger competitor out in the field, in the pool, or on the road!
The things I put in bold drive me crazy as well! We have two legs for a reason, and it isn't to press a gas pedal all day.

I really don't like gyms. Working out in a gym feels like work, but running/biking/playing soccer/tennis/whatever is actually fun. The 'workout' part of it comes after the 'fun' part
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 07:24 AM
 
Location: SUNNY AZ
4,589 posts, read 8,578,066 times
Reputation: 1777
I still don't get it. All I'm hearing are excuses on top of excuses on top of "fat bashing" accusations....i'm totally floored. I have absolutely NEVER EVER put anyone down for being overweight....i've never put anyone down for anything actually. I hate excuses...hate them...I hate hearing them and most of all I can't stand seeing people accepting them and convincing themselves that they are factual. It's really not as tough as everyone makes it seem....once you make up your mind that you have had enough....you WILL find a way to change whatever it is that has made you so fed up...whether it be weight,smoking,drinking ect... gosh...bottom line guys. That's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top