Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 06:09 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times

Advertisements

I had issues with my knee that went away. The doctor said it was from a tear or from the knee cap floating.

FF>>

Its been at least two years since any severe pain. With my recent weightloss I can tuck my heel in further because of well..smaller thighs.

What I mean by that is I always curl up in chairs with one leg up so that it is parallel to the chest. Upon extension I get crazy pain. Like it makes my face flushed and fades. If I feel the muscles around the knee the feel stringy like sprain but soften much more easily with massage. It is not a cramp though. If I deep breath it flushes out the pain.

So I guess my question is:

Is this normal adjustment or what?

The only time it hurts is when I have it bent and then straiten. My knee cap no longer floats (due to PT) I do not have heat or swelling in that area.
I thought it was a tendon health issue because my arms were doing the same thing with the tendon strings that wrap over the fingers and hand but they are better now. I think the were swollen from me increasing what they had to do to improve strength. My strength has improved...so...I just wonder if its one of those things. My weight change since the pain started has only been about 5lbs lighter. (10 on a good day..lol)

As far as my personal pain threshold I have been in sports and played mostly with boys growing up so its not over-reacting. I just never had to come back to getting in shape from total scratch + injury history. I DO NOT want to deal with that again so I am very cautious about pain. I think because of my history I have ignored it and just pushed through. But I think due to age and injury it might be wiser to baby myself?

THoughts ANYONE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 12:40 AM

p.s. body weight is almost minimal for height so its not from being heavy

Old 08-10-2009, 02:50 PM

Oh my god..I think I am old...

I am really kinda mad about the fact I cant bend my knee....

I was over extending...

So thanks ME for posting back to ME

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Ok..I am going to go find some young people to call stupid and crazy now...

Old 08-11-2009, 10:44 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Young man#1 here, he thinks you're crazy

The strength of the knee/knee cap depends on the strength of the quadriceps, the hamstring muscles and the calf muscles, coz they connect back to the patella and sort of hold it in its place.

The tougher the quads and hamstring muscles are, the happier your patella is.

So, you need to work these muscles out. I had knee problems couple years ago due to insane cardio activities. I quickly exercised these muscles for a couple of months and set it right.

If you find leg curls, extensions, hip twists and the like - you can find an array of leg muscles equipment in any gym. They should help you.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:52 AM

I am going to try some stuff on my hamstrings. Thanks for the tip on that. It was on the to do list but...yeh...lol. I think the front may be fine just from what it looks like (cut lines ) and the knee cap is no longer floating around. (it used to easily goo around before I did my PT)
Its not swelling though so that is good. It used to swell like mad.

I need to maybe balance my thigh muscle and make it cut on the back too...

I do not have access to machines but I am going to check out exercise TV/methods.
I wanted a new thigh workout.

I notice the pain is in soft tissue around the knee and if I palpate down my leg it seems to be in the Satories and tibias anterior. But you can see my 2/3 vastus clearly(lat & med). The middle one needs work but maybe thats the issue....

I get so freaked out from pain now because I do not want to injure it again. LOL

Old 08-17-2009, 12:12 PM

968 posts, read 2,589,148 times
Does it hurt when you squat or lunge? If so then I would go back to the doc.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:38 PM

Well I have been really working at the inside and back of the leg and you know how everything gets tight on that first week...well I think I found the issue...so thanks guys..

There is no pain at all when I do squats or lunges. I tried those and it felt like there was a cool sensation that went over a muscle on the outside. But it was not severe, painful or like fluid.

I think I know why babies cry...the getting in shape to walk...

God this is so ANNOYING.

I really feel for anyone who has to come back from mobility issues...Blah on it. BLAH i say!

I also noticed this past week and really today I am getting those burst of anti-depression juice from working out too..So I guess that is good because it could mean i am not so far in the hole anymore as far as being held back by body taking its sweet old time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness