Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 01:17 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
As I begin my road back to fitness, I'm finding a lot of misinformation out there about women's exercise. Can you help me figure out what is true/false?

1. You cannot lose weight and build muscle at the same time

2. Running/Jogging/Swimming (any of them solo) will not build muscle on their own

3. Women should never lift more than 5 pounds - they should do Pilates/Yoga/ Resistance Bands instead (this from a personal trainer!) to build muscle

4. If you run/jog, your knees/back will be ruined by the time your 60 years old
1. False
2. False
3. False
4. False
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 4,855 times
Women should never lift more than 5 lbs ? Women are made to carry babies in their arms and toddlers on their hips. Ever pick up a cast iron pan ? Ever carry 3 gallons of milk in with the groceries ? Move the couch to clean behind it ? Carry the Christmas decorations down from the attic ? Shovel the driveway ? Carry a suitcase? Hold back the lab from jumping on your grandmother ? 5 lbs? Is this advise for a china doll or a woman ??

Old 09-08-2009, 01:27 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
3. Women should never lift more than 5 pounds - they should do Pilates/Yoga/ Resistance Bands instead (this from a personal trainer!) to build muscle
That trainer should have her license/certification revoked. What gym does this person work out of?

Old 09-08-2009, 02:16 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,200 times
Quote:
As I begin my road back to fitness, I'm finding a lot of misinformation out there about women's exercise. Can you help me figure out what is true/false?

2. Running/Jogging/Swimming (any of them solo) will not build muscle on their own

Well muscle is heavier than fat, so if you gain muscle by exercising then you may not get the same weight loss as if you just dieted, however you shoud still lose INCHES.

I think you can lift whatever yous are comfortable with, but generally with women they advise doing more reps

I agree-running is bad for your joints and brisk walking, cycling, swimming are as good for aerobic exercise, however remember non-weight bearing exercise will not protect from osteoporosis-so maybe a mix of walking and cycling or swimming.
They will all build muscle to some degree, but do you just want to tone up rather than "build" muscle?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:18 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:

Somewhat true. It is difficult to add muscle if you are not eating as many calories as you burn. Strength training is important in weight loss though; I lost over 100 pounds and strength training was and still is a very important part of my workout regime.

Quote:
I would agree mostly with this. Running is more for cardiovascular health/endurance. Maybe you can build muscle with swimming because of the increased resistance of the water. I don't know.

Quote:
False false false, garbage garbage garbage. That personal trainer was an idiot. I hope you do not listen to any of his/her advice. There is nothing wrong with women lifting weights, and you will not look like a bodybuilder even after doing it regularly for an extended period of time. Women do not bulk up like men do.

I go to a lift class every week; it is mostly women there, and nobody there looks like a bodybuilder. Some of those women are benching 60 pounds for over 50 reps. I regularly use hand weights weighing between 12.5 and 20 pounds, and I load my bar with 20 to 50 pounds depending on the exercise. I do not have big muscles.

Quote:
If you do it wrong or to excess, i.e. if you are an elite world class runner, maybe. If you are wearing the right shoes and are not severely overweight, you should be fine. But if you are concerned about that and your knees hurt when you jog, don't jog. There are plenty of other cardiovascular exercises you can do that are lower impact than running, which is a high impact activity.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:10 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
I firmly believe that women can and should lift greater amounts of weight. It depends what trainer you ask, but mine have always told me to do 2 or 3 sets of reps, as heavy as you can, even approaching muscle failure. As a woman, I am not going to have huge man-arms, or bulk, start losing my breasts, or getting all manly without taking some steriods, going on a high protien body-builder type diet, taking amino acids, and all that other stuff. If you're eating a normal diet, and exercising, women can only get so bulky... because of nature.

I notice when I'm my women-only gym that I use more weight than anyone else, I'm constantly adjusting the machines for higher weight. Yet, I have thin arms and legs (5'7", 130lbs). I have great muscle definition, and it's getting better everyday.

If you do 100 reps of 5lbs of something, and you aren't tired, it's not going to do anything for you.

I vote for more weight...stop being afraid of getting too bulky. Lose fat through diet, and gain definition through weights. You will not look like a body-builder.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:25 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
When it comes to weight loss and exercise, if it sounds too good to be true, it is. Hey, I still want that magic pill that makes you wake up 2lbs lighter every day. I would have dieted myself into negative numbers by now.

Everything you listed is true and false.

You will find all sorts of improbable claims out there but at one time or another they worked for someone. It's all individual. You have to figure out what will work for you. A diet/food plan YOU will stick with and an exercise program that's reasonable for YOU that you will do consistently.

So many people sabotage themselves by jumping on the bandwagon of programs they know they will never be able to do long term. It's just another way to destroy your own self esteem, fail, and give up again. You are proving to your self over and over that you can't do it. See the pattern? Why do you think 95% of people who try to lose weight either fail to lose or maintain that loss?

Do you know anyone who successfully lost a bunch of weight and got in better shape? And kept it off? If you do, talk to them and see what they did. Think about what you can adapt to your lifestyle.

Here's what *I* believe should be the first step. Journal for a month. Honestly. Keep track of what you eat and your activity level every single day. You'll learn a lot. By the end of the month you will have identified your problem areas, strengths, and weaknesses.

Accept that you have to start at the beginning. You have to work with where YOU are and what YOU can do. For some folks, a workout can consist of arm weights in a sitting position. For others it's a 2 mile run. Chances are you are somewhere between these 2 extremes. Your diet may begin with giving up ice cream every other night. It has to be something you can live with and stick to. Accept that you will cheat and resolve to forgive yourself and get back on the program immediately. Not tomorrow or next week. NOW.

Forget Oprah and all those size 0 celebrities. Chances are you don't have a 24x7 personal trainer, chef, and nutritionist. You have to live in the real world. And look at Oprah. Even with all those advantages, she can't keep the weight off.

This is work. Don't kid yourself. You have to start at the beginning and find your own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness