Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 08:40 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
So what EXACTLY were you doing? Sets, reps, etc. ?
The same thing that you claim isn't good for fat burning. 12-20 reps spread out over 3 or 4 sets with 30-60 seconds rest between sets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 08:50 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
The same thing that you claim isn't good for fat burning. 12-20 reps spread out over 3 or 4 sets with 30-60 seconds rest between sets.
This is not good for fat burning.

You are basically moving individual body parts, for short periods of time, with plenty of rest inbetween.

What works better is to move your whole entire body. For a long, sustained period of time without resting.

Lifting like you do DOES burn fat. It just burns much, much less than cardio. Can you see what i'm saying?

Doing sets of curls or shoulder presses with rest inbetween will NOT burn as much fat as jumping rope, or swimming laps for 20 minutes straight with no rest.

Would you agree?

Old 09-13-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Well then I guess we need to go back and regain the near 200lbs of weight we lost and do it the right way.

Quote:
Lifting like you do DOES burn fat. It just burns much, much less than cardio. Can you see what i'm saying?
Sorry. Not true.

Quote:
Would you agree?
No.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Well then I guess we need to go back and regain the near 200lbs of weight we lost and do it the right way.

Sorry. Not true.

No.
Instead of saying "not true" and "no" could you elaborate a bit to make the discussion a bit more interesting. One-word answers are never good for intelligent discussion.

If you lost 200 lbs. of weight between 2 people. You must have been absolutely obese. And with that kind of obesity, just about anything would probably make the pounds fall off. This is NOT any kind of proof that your method is good. It's purely anecdotal.

High repetition weight lifting does burn some fat. It's just a very bad way to do it. But if you are an incredibly fat person, high rep weight lifting would be enough to give you dramatic results of course.

Any movement burns SOME fat. You burn fat by typing on a computer, by walking to the living room.....

Old 09-13-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Instead of saying "not true" and "no" could you elaborate a bit to make the discussion a bit more interesting. One-word answers are never good for intelligent discussion.
What more discussion do you need? Myself and many others have achieved excellent results using the methods you claim don't work. You can't argue with results.

Quote:
If you lost 200 lbs. of weight between 2 people. You must have been absolutely obese.
Not really. I'm 6'0 and a former football player. At my heaviest I was around 285. My friend bigger (around 5'11 and 300+).

Quote:
And with that kind of obesity, just about anything would probably make the pounds fall off.
Yeah, that's why people are always losing it so easily.

Quote:
This is NOT any kind of proof that your method is good. It's purely anecdotal.
You call it what you want. We'll stick with our method that's helped us and many others.

Quote:
High repetition weight lifting does burn some fat. It's just a very bad way to do it.
Again, I guess we better gain that weight back and do it the right way.

Quote:
But if you are an incredibly fat person, high rep weight lifting would be enough to give you dramatic results of course.

Any movement burns SOME fat. You burn fat by typing on a computer, by walking to the living room.....
Oh Christ.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:37 PM

I would rather talk about the excercises themselves than hear stories of 300 pound people dropping their weight to 200 and thinking they have found the answer.

Oh, but you're an "ex-football player". I love it when the say that.... as if that's an excuse for being obese. A good reason for it.

I would rather speak technically and scientifically instead of story telling.

How does this high rep lifting work to burn fat? Physiologically? Enough stories.

How does doing sets of 16 reps of weight lifting movements, with a minute rest inbetween make you burn more fat than jogging constantly for 20 or 30 minutes?

Old 09-13-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:

You are basically moving individual body parts, for short periods of time, with plenty of rest inbetween.

What works better is to move your whole entire body. For a long, sustained period of time without resting.

Doing sets of curls or shoulder presses with rest inbetween will NOT burn as much fat as jumping rope, or swimming laps for 20 minutes straight with no rest.

Would you agree?
I am quoting myself here. Because this is the basis of what i'm saying. It is very, very simple.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I would rather talk about the excercises themselves than hear stories of 300 pound people dropping their weight to 200 and thinking they have found the answer.
That's the same friend of mine who I just mentioned can bench press just shy of 500lbs.

Quote:
Oh, but you're an "ex-football player". I love it when the say that.... as if that's an excuse for being obese. A good reason for it.
Who the **** said anything about reasons or excuses?

Quote:
How does this high rep lifting work to burn fat? Physiologically? Enough stories.

How does doing sets of 16 reps of weight lifting movements, with a minute rest inbetween make you burn more fat than jogging constantly for 20 or 30 minutes?
If you really need answers to these questions than you should probably just quit posting.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:07 PM

That "ex-football player" line is just something that fat guys will say to make themselves look a little more cool. And to give a bit of an explanation for why they are fat.

It's like the fat guys in the gym who claim to be "power lifters". Yet their maximum lifts are very, very unimpressive. They just try to have the image of "power lifters" to make an excuse for their fatness.

Please......power lifting is lifting yourselves off the bench after you finish that set.

By the way, if your buddy weighs over 300 lbs. and his max bench is 500. That is NOT that impressive. That's only 166%. I can do better than that and I don't even lift for strength.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:24 PM

Well, obviously literacy didn't come easy for you, so it appears I'm going to have to draw this out in crayon.

Quote:
That "ex-football player" line is just something that fat guys will say to make themselves look a little more cool. And to give a bit of an explanation for why they are fat.
Newsflash, genius. People who were formerly in good shape will carry their weight alot better than someone who was never in good shape but weighs the same.

The fact that this even needs to be explained to you makes me have serious doubts as to the validity of your claims to experience, even more so than your horribly incorrect misinformation.

Quote:
By the way, if your buddy weighs over 300 lbs. and his max bench is 500. That is NOT that impressive. That's only 166%. I can do better than that and I don't even lift for strength.

Go back and read it again noob. 300lbs is what he used to weigh when he started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness