Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 07:35 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,078,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
funny how I don't see any advice coming from Mr. Bare in any other threads.

Help some people out dude. You seem to have infinite knowledge of fitness, the rest of us pale in comparision to you.
Why would I want to post in other threads when everyone on this forum is just trying to have a retarded arguement with me in this one instead of having an intelligent discussion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 08:31 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
You all are just nitpicking on the minor wordings of what i'm saying. But ignoring the big picture.

Cardio burns more fat than weight lifting.

According to that calorie counter, walking slowly burns more calories than general weightlifting. What does that tell you?

If you all want to be pricks, keep it up though. Prick attitude seems to be the norm these days.
Now now, wanting you to be more specific is not being a "prick".
Cardio burns more fat then general weight lifting. Just stop saying it doesn't and I won't call you out on it.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:34 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
You have to do a lot of exercises and reps over a sustained period (45 minutes) with minimal rest between stations and between sets. You have to mix upper and lower body. This sounds like circuit training.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Now now, wanting you to be more specific is not being a "prick".
Cardio burns more fat then general weight lifting. Just stop saying it doesn't and I won't call you out on it.
If people want me to be more specific i'm all for it.

This is a long thread and I misworded things a few times. Wrote a few posts while drunk off wine. I can understand the confusion. But my theory is solid and if anyone wants to ask me a real question about it go ahead.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
You have to do a lot of exercises and reps over a sustained period (45 minutes) with minimal rest between stations and between sets. You have to mix upper and lower body. This sounds like circuit training.
Circuit training is great for burning off the fat.

Most of these guys are not talking about circuit training though. They are doing a normal weight lifting session in the high rep ranges. And they claim this is a great way to burn off fat.

You can burn more fat walking down to the store than you would with a high rep weight session. That's a fact.

A good weight lifting session for most people will burn 200-300 calories. A good cardio session will burn 500-1000 calories. Maybe even more.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:28 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Circuit training is great for burning off the fat.

Most of these guys are not talking about circuit training though. They are doing a normal weight lifting session in the high rep ranges. And they claim this is a great way to burn off fat.

You can burn more fat walking down to the store than you would with a high rep weight session. That's a fact.

A good weight lifting session for most people will burn 200-300 calories. A good cardio session will burn 500-1000 calories. Maybe even more.
And the laughs just keep on coming.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:30 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
What do you want me to post? Some scientific study full of graphs and charts, and official sounding data?
It's called peer-reviewed studies, one that other experts can review and evaluate and attempt to reproduce the results themselves. While there are plenty of bogus studies out there, I suspect you've made up your mind that ALL are bogus and will therefore reject any that are presented to you.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
It's called peer-reviewed studies, one that other experts can review and evaluate and attempt to reproduce the results themselves. While there are plenty of bogus studies out there, I suspect you've made up your mind that ALL are bogus and will therefore reject any that are presented to you.
Why do you need a study at all when every calorie counter on the internet backs up my theory?

People in this thread aren't acknowledging the proof i've already shown. It's just become a war of pride now.

People are ignoring the logical statements i'm making about cardio burning more cals than lifting. And walking burning almost as much as lifting.

Swallow your pride and be a man. And respond to what i'm saying first.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:13 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Why do you need a study at all when every calorie counter on the internet backs up my theory?

People in this thread aren't acknowledging the proof i've already shown. It's just become a war of pride now.

People are ignoring the logical statements i'm making about cardio burning more cals than lifting. And walking burning almost as much as lifting.

Swallow your pride and be a man. And respond to what i'm saying first.
LMAO. First, if you think those calorie counters are reliable, you're kidding yourself. Those are estimates at best that make far too many assumptions about the user. Two people could be the same height, age, weight and gender and do 30 minutes of jogging, but that doesn't mean they'll both necessarily burn the same number of calories. Second, no is denying that cardio burns more calories than weight lifting. But that's only DURING the session. The real benefit of weight lifting is the post-exercise boost in metabolism that can last as long as a few days for some people. With cardio, unless it's high intensity, the afterburn is minimal.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:30 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Second, no is denying that cardio burns more calories than weight lifting. But that's only DURING the session. The real benefit of weight lifting is the post-exercise boost in metabolism that can last as long as a few days for some people. With cardio, unless it's high intensity, the afterburn is minimal.
Excellent post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness