U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2009, 07:48 PM
 
1,008 posts, read 1,968,704 times
Reputation: 787

Advertisements

This theory is a myth. Lifting weights in different ways is NEVER an effective way to burn fat.

High repetition lifting does have it's benefits. It works your muscles in different ways, but it does not burn off fat. Localized fat burning through weight lifting simply does not happen. And honestly, I do not know where this theory even began.

Talk to any pro bodybuilder. Talk to anyone who really knows their stuff, who is NOT in it to sell books, products and make a profit. And they will tell you the same thing.

Always, always, always question the source of the information you are getting. Magazines, books and other media are FULL of misinformation.

Because the fact is, exercise and diet is very, very simple. Hard work, but extremely simple concepts.

But simplicity does not sell, complexity sells. So they create illusions of complexity in order to sell long books and keep those magazine articles coming, keep the money flowing.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2009, 07:52 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
968 posts, read 2,433,103 times
Reputation: 499
Do you have something to back it up or are you simply posting your opinion?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 08:04 PM
 
1,008 posts, read 1,968,704 times
Reputation: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
Do you have something to back it up or are you simply posting your opinion?
What do you want me to post? Some scientific study full of graphs and charts, and official sounding data?

There are thousands and thousands of those online. They can be found to back up absolutely any theory. There are "logically sound studies" out there that claim the most ridiculous things. Contradictory theories all have their own respective articles that are very convincing.

Most of these "studies" are there to push an agenda, a product, a supplement, or a particular theory. Look at guys in the gym for your answers, look at bodybuilders and athletes. Don't look at articles and books

I learned what I learned from experience and observing the experiences of others. I've been in bodybuilding and weightlifting for 15 years. I've met some of the best bodybuilders in the world.

Where did you learn your stuff? Some guy peddling books online? It takes a LOT of info to fill a book. Therefore they need a lot of filler.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 08:18 PM
 
1,008 posts, read 1,968,704 times
Reputation: 787
Here is a video in which the best bodybuilders in the world back up what i'm saying. Pay attention at 0:15. They seem to be speaking honestly to me.


YouTube - EAT LIKE A PRO Part 2

But of course, when I type "fat loss" into google I get a million BS articles which all lead you in different directions.

You can't trust them. You have to look at the real world.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 08:34 PM
 
Location: NOCO
534 posts, read 1,478,854 times
Reputation: 236
Never? Really? You contradicted yourself in your arguement. You said high reps never help you burn fat, and later said diet and exercise work. If I was training somebody who wanted to lose fat I would probably prefer them to be doing a mix of everything, including diet, high rep -low weight, and low rep -higher weight. It's all about calories burt vs. calories taken in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 08:38 PM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 3,956,112 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
This theory is a myth. Lifting weights in different ways is NEVER an effective way to burn fat.

High repetition lifting does have it's benefits. It works your muscles in different ways, but it does not burn off fat. Localized fat burning through weight lifting simply does not happen. And honestly, I do not know where this theory even began.

Talk to any pro bodybuilder. Talk to anyone who really knows their stuff, who is NOT in it to sell books, products and make a profit. And they will tell you the same thing.

Always, always, always question the source of the information you are getting. Magazines, books and other media are FULL of misinformation.

Because the fact is, exercise and diet is very, very simple. Hard work, but extremely simple concepts.

But simplicity does not sell, complexity sells. So they create illusions of complexity in order to sell long books and keep those magazine articles coming, keep the money flowing.....
High reps light weight in a circuit with many different exercises makes me loose weight...
I do agree, most articles make it appear much more complex then the subject actually is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 08:39 PM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 3,956,112 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Here is a video in which the best bodybuilders in the world back up what i'm saying. Pay attention at 0:15. They seem to be speaking honestly to me.


YouTube - EAT LIKE A PRO Part 2

But of course, when I type "fat loss" into google I get a million BS articles which all lead you in different directions.

You can't trust them. You have to look at the real world.
But they forgot to add steroids into the mix.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 08:41 PM
 
1,008 posts, read 1,968,704 times
Reputation: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
Never? Really? You contradicted yourself in your arguement. You said high reps never help you burn fat, and later said diet and exercise work. If I was training somebody who wanted to lose fat I would probably prefer them to be doing a mix of everything, including diet, high rep -low weight, and low rep -higher weight. It's all about calories burt vs. calories taken in.
Different types of weight training effect your MUSCLES in different ways. But they do not help you to burn fat any more. The difference in the amount of calories you burn doing high rep vs. low rep is so low that it will not have any significant effect at all.

For fat loss. It's diet and cardio.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 08:44 PM
 
1,008 posts, read 1,968,704 times
Reputation: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
But they forgot to add steroids into the mix.
These guys use lots of steroids for sure. But they are also the best bodybuilders in the world.

There are hundreds of thousands of clowns out there who do tons of steroids and still don't even look close to that great. To get to the level of the guys in that video, you must be an expert at bodybuilding. Steroids alone will never make someone look even close to what they look like. Although steroids are part of their game for sure.

I don't even like that video. I just posted it because some people demand to have other sources.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 08:49 PM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 3,956,112 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
These guys use lots of steroids for sure. But they are also the best bodybuilders in the world.

There are hundreds of thousands of clowns out there who do tons of steroids and still don't even look close to that great. To get to the level of the guys in that video, you must be an expert at bodybuilding. Steroids alone will never make someone look even close to what they look like. Although steroids are part of their game for sure.

I don't even like that video. I just posted it because some people demand to have other sources.
My point about steroids, is that unless you are taking them, their advice will probably be useless to you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top