Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 11:10 AM

6 posts, read 36,521 times

Advertisements

I'm doing an 8-week walking program, trying to condition myself and my dog to start jogging.

Does anyone have any tips as to how to get the most out of a walking program -- burn the most calories, etc? I do it all with a hyper greyhound at my side, we do a quarter mile walking fast, no stops, and then a quarter mile more leisurely, and repeat for 2 or 3 miles. I'm going to try to kick the first interval up to a half mile this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 11:30 AM

9 posts, read 36,073 times
For total calories you want to set a distance, but it's also good to attempt to complete that distance in less time, as a faster seed means more muscle stimulation and afterburn. It's generally a better cardiovascular workout that way since your heart will beat faster.

Some people use pedometers, though if you're doing a consistant path and distance it's better since steps are inconistant things anyway which vary to much.

A heart rate monitor is good, you can try to maintain a specific heartrate for a perod of time, progressively larger. It's actually a challenge, because the more fit you get in response to exercise, the larger your heart gets and the more efficient your muscles get, so it will take more and more work to maintain a simlar heartrate much less going beyond it. That's a fun thing actually.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:56 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igiggigi View Post
I'm doing an 8-week walking program, trying to condition myself and my dog to start jogging.

Does anyone have any tips as to how to get the most out of a walking program -- burn the most calories, etc? I do it all with a hyper greyhound at my side, we do a quarter mile walking fast, no stops, and then a quarter mile more leisurely, and repeat for 2 or 3 miles. I'm going to try to kick the first interval up to a half mile this week.
igiggigi
I am a "greyhound mom" and have been involved with greyhound adoption for 14 years. Aren't they the greatest dogs .
Just keep in mind that greyhounds are sprinters not distance runners. It sounds like you have done a great job in conditioning if you are up to 2 or 3 miles. We joke that unless you work them up to it, if you take a greyhound on a 2 mile walk you will end up carrying him/her when they decide they have gone far enough.
You didn't say how long you have had your "grey" or what part of the country your in . Heat and greyhounds are not great match. They don't have the body fat to regulate the heat. They tend to get over heated easily. If you have a "retired racer" they have spent their racing career in A/C kennels.
As far as your question on the walking for you I have read that brisk walking is as good if not better than running. Also if you pump your arms while brisk walking it gets your upper body involved.
since you walk everyday why don't you join us in the daily exercise thread not only are there a bunch of great folks but we have so much fun.
karla

Old 06-07-2007, 02:53 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,712 times
I walk too, but only about 3 times a week. I jog/run and do Pilates more than I do walking. But when I do go, I go for about 2 hours around the park where I live. That's about 6 laps around and about 6 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness