U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:30 PM

339 posts, read 1,387,985 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I'm looking to gain endurance and some muscle tone, and so far, heavy weight/low reps hasn't been working for me despite the fact that I'm doing a good amount of cardio (sometimes even without eating anything beforehand). What rep range has worked best for you guys in terms of toning up/gaining endurance?

I can only lift 2x a week, so if anyone has a similar plan as me (weights 2x a week, cardio 5x a week, weekends completely off) or can help me design a good weightlifting routine for getting cut, can you please post yours/help me out?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 02:40 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,063,866 times
I'm confused...when you say "endurance" are you talking about muscle endurance as it relates to being able to run/locomote for a long distance/time? Or are you referring to muscle endurance in the weightlifting sense-the ability for your muscle to contract over and over without tiring?

Old 10-13-2009, 07:26 PM

2,192 posts, read 2,775,803 times
For toning you need to do low weight, high repetitions. You are doing the exact opposite of what you need because heavy weight, low repetitions will build mass. Your original intentions were probably long distance running or some such...which you need to do lots of cardio in order to build that up (I reccomend swimming). The weight lifting will help support certain muscles to allow you to possibly run a little faster but for the most part, adding muscle mass wont do much to help things, and if taken in the extreme actually harms them in terms of high intensity running or marathons. It really depends on what body type you have and what your goals are, but I would avoid the heavy stuff if you're trying to lose weight or build up the running stamina, which it sounds like you are.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:46 PM

12,980 posts, read 18,908,863 times
Jumpman, what exactly are your goals? Few threads ago, you mentioned that you were worried about losing muscle mass from doing cardio, and you also mentioned that you are 5' 6" and 150lbs. But your workout routine sounds like you want to bulk up.

What exactly are you looking to do? You mention you want to get cut, but you never posted what your average daily nutrition plan is like. Do you eat ANY fast food? Do you drink soda?

What do you normally eat for breakfast?
What is your late morning snack?
What do you normally eat for lunch?
Evening snack?
What do you eat for dinner?

I think your problem could be more related to your nutritional intake than whatever routine you are doing.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:22 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,365,636 times
I've been doing a very simple circuit lately that I have been liking alot. I broke my leg 3 months ago so I haven't been able to do much lower body. However, once my leg has healed I would like to continue this routine but add squats and calf raises. I also only have about 2x per week to do weights, so I try to hit the whole body each time. I've done a lot of different routines over the years. I find this fun and challenging.

Bench (I use dumbbells) 8 reps
One arm rows (again dumbbells) 8 reps
Shoulder press (dumbbells) 8 reps
Lat pull down (machine) 8 reps
Inclined situps 30 reps
Roman chair 20 reps
Squats 8 reps (when leg is healed)
Calf raises 8 reps (when leg is healed)

I do 3 rounds of this circuit. The key is to not rest between exercises, just switch from one to the next. AND you should be picking your weight such that you are failing on the last couple reps of the last set. If you get that weight one week all three sets, bump up the weight next week. I find this to give me both strength gains and endurance.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:15 PM

339 posts, read 1,387,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Jumpman, what exactly are your goals? Few threads ago, you mentioned that you were worried about losing muscle mass from doing cardio, and you also mentioned that you are 5' 6" and 150lbs. But your workout routine sounds like you want to bulk up.

What exactly are you looking to do? You mention you want to get cut, but you never posted what your average daily nutrition plan is like. Do you eat ANY fast food? Do you drink soda?

What do you normally eat for breakfast?
What is your late morning snack?
What do you normally eat for lunch?
Evening snack?
What do you eat for dinner?

I think your problem could be more related to your nutritional intake than whatever routine you are doing.
Uhhh my nutrition is fairly simple: eat as much protein as possible (I take a couple of soy protein shakes which total to 66 gs of protein right there), and minimize fats (the only fats I try to take are from nuts since they are healthy fats) and carbs. I don't eat too much fast food even though I'm in the dorms (1-2x a week) and even if I do, I eat the healthiest choice possible there. I maintain a deficit of around 500 calories under my BMR. Plus, I lift really heavy (3 sets of 5) and do cardio on a fasted stomach making sure to eat right after.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:40 PM

5,748 posts, read 7,321,265 times
What are you trying to accomplish by running a calorie deficit? Are you actively attempting to lose weight? My gut feeling is that you need to bump up the calories to get results.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:36 PM

12,980 posts, read 18,908,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Uhhh my nutrition is fairly simple: eat as much protein as possible (I take a couple of soy protein shakes which total to 66 gs of protein right there), and minimize fats (the only fats I try to take are from nuts since they are healthy fats) and carbs. I don't eat too much fast food even though I'm in the dorms (1-2x a week) and even if I do, I eat the healthiest choice possible there. I maintain a deficit of around 500 calories under my BMR. Plus, I lift really heavy (3 sets of 5) and do cardio on a fasted stomach making sure to eat right after.
Dude, it sounds to me like you need a personal trainer. Seems like you just "cut and pasted" stuff you read on the internet and started just doing it. Because what you are doing is all over the place.

You still didnt answer my question on how you EAT. Thats what I mean by nutrition, not what supplements/protein shakes you are taking. When you say "not much fast food" what exactly do you mean? Are you eating any bad foods?

What exactly are you goals for working out? Mass? Size? To be cut? Overall functional fitness?

Old 10-14-2009, 08:02 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,873,508 times
Eh... I do 8 reps on most exercise for 3 sets, then try to only get 6-7 on the last one...
smaller muscle groups like calves, triceps i'll hit them for 12-15 sometimes and do burnouts.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:15 PM

436 posts, read 551,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
Your original intentions were probably long distance running or some such...which you need to do lots of cardio in order to build that up (I reccomend swimming).
Yeah, swimming is the king of endurance training.
Start and turn (I hate to say, but every time I turn, hold my breath, and do under water dolphin kick, it kills me. For some reasons, it is a good kill to my lazy), paddle and surgical rope, powerful butterfly body undulation and arm pulling ... ..., not to mention the low incident of injury.
Swim also help priming the whole body muscle coordination, not just getting muscle bigger for cosmetic purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness