Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 01:13 PM

532 posts, read 1,567,400 times

Advertisements

I found this website with some cool tips on working out without going to the gym, how to maximize the gains from simple exercises like pushups. Also, if you surf around the cite you can find the fitness basic requirements for different military groups and a training regimine one can take on to get to that level.

Who Needs a Gym? - Military Fitness - Military.com (http://www.military.com/military-fitness/workouts/who-needs-gym - broken link)

1) lengthen your body

2) Move a greater distance during each repitition (full extension)

3) Eliminate bounce (no springing)

4) Work on more plains (therefore engaging more fibres)

5) Make your muscles balance you

Heres an example of a starter workout for getting ready for going into green beret assesment

"swimming NEVER Swim Alone

- Two to three times a week, 1,000 to 2,000 meters each time.
- One day a week, try to swim wearing cammies and boots for 100 meters.
- Wear fins when swimming half the time as well.
Running:

- Four to five times a week, 3 to 5 miles as fast as you can.
- Twice a week, do rucksack marches carrying a 30 to 50-pound load marching 5 to 15 miles at a fast walking pace.
PT: Every Other Day

- Pull-ups, 75 to 100 repetitions (seven to 10 sets of 10 reps).
- Push-ups, 200 to 300 repetitions (10 to 15 sets of 20 reps).
- Sit-ups, 200 to 300 repetitions (five to 10 sets of 40 to 50 reps). "(http://www.military.com/military-fit...beret-training)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 01:55 PM

865 posts, read 2,431,128 times
Ok, I'm tired just reading that....

Old 01-15-2010, 02:04 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Having to run for five to 15 miles carrying a 30- to 50-lb bag so that I don't have to go to the gym? No, that doesn't sound like it's for me.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:35 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Instead of weightless exercises it should be called bodyweight exercises.

As far as the 50 pound bag goes Im all for it. Been trying to find a good price on a GOOD 100 lb weight vest so I can do 3 mile weighted runs.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:49 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Eh, if I really want to lug 50 pounds around, I'll just let my son get on my back for a while. He's almost that big.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:03 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,127 times
How is it a weightless exercise if you are lugging around a 50lb bag?

Old 04-14-2010, 03:44 PM

7,167 posts, read 9,216,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
How is it a weightless exercise if you are lugging around a 50lb bag?
It is weighted exercise. It's just not your traditional barbell/dumbell exercises. Without checking the link, I think the exercises are probably what the military puts you thru in basic training or similar. As LaoTzuMidnFu said, bodyweight exercise.

Don't start with a 50lb bag unless you are already used to it. Start much lighter.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:59 PM

550 posts, read 1,214,512 times
This is for making a durable soldier, not for building size and shapes of any quantity/timeperiod. wether this is for you or not depends on what ideals you have and what your goals are.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:52 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Instead of weightless exercises it should be called bodyweight exercises.

As far as the 50 pound bag goes Im all for it. Been trying to find a good price on a GOOD 100 lb weight vest so I can do 3 mile weighted runs.
Dude--this is murder on your joints and your whole orthopedic well-being. You're simply asking for lower-back and knee problems, most likely be wearing out your meniscus. You'd be far better off running unencumbered for your cardio fitness, and then doing squats or leg presses in the gym for your strength training. Never carry weight while running! The succeptibility to injury simply isn't worth any minimal conditioning gain you might get. The military only does it because they have to train for situations they might find themselves in, i.e. having to run with their gear on! For someone who is not training for such a specific event, I'd advise against it. Doubt me? Ask ANY chiropractor or otho doc.
Since I'm a veteran as well as a personal trainer--I volunteer a few times a mionth at the local V.A. in their P/T dept. I see vets all the time with ruined knees and backs from military drills. So I just can't see anyone undergoing them if they don't have to, especially when there are so many alternative exercise methods out there.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:34 PM

622 posts, read 1,279,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Dude--this is murder on your joints and your whole orthopedic well-being. You're simply asking for lower-back and knee problems, most likely be wearing out your meniscus. You'd be far better off running unencumbered for your cardio fitness, and then doing squats or leg presses in the gym for your strength training. Never carry weight while running! The succeptibility to injury simply isn't worth any minimal conditioning gain you might get. The military only does it because they have to train for situations they might find themselves in, i.e. having to run with their gear on! For someone who is not training for such a specific event, I'd advise against it. Doubt me? Ask ANY chiropractor or otho doc.
Since I'm a veteran as well as a personal trainer--I volunteer a few times a mionth at the local V.A. in their P/T dept. I see vets all the time with ruined knees and backs from military drills. So I just can't see anyone undergoing them if they don't have to, especially when there are so many alternative exercise methods out there.
Thats exactly right. Murder on your joints. However I love body weight excersises. Esp pullups and dips. You can get seriously strong doing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness