Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:01 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
i think more damage could be done when women wear 8 inch spiked heels.
Do they even make 8 inch spiked heels?

I think those Shape-up shoes are ridiculous looking and I only see them on old ladies going door to door giving away watchtowers or on fat women with bad feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:50 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
If they're comfortable and encourage people to walk, then more power to those who buy them.

I would hope that not too many of us give a rat's ass what other people think of us when we're out getting some exercise.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:04 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I would hope that not too many of us give a rat's ass what other people think of us when we're out getting some exercise.
I think a lot of women do. Or at least, they care enough about how they themselves look which is why you see sooooo many women wearing their Bebe Sport and Lulumon Athletica workout gear and some makeup when they go to the gym.

I think people should ALWAYS take some pride in their appearance and thankfully, many do. Otherwise you'd see a lot of scraggly, stinky, torn clothes wearing individuals around.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:08 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I think a lot of women do. Or at least, they care enough about how they themselves look which is why you see sooooo many women wearing their Bebe Sport and Lulumon Athletica workout gear and some makeup when they go to the gym.

I think people should ALWAYS take some pride in their appearance and thankfully, many do. Otherwise you'd see a lot of scraggly, stinky, torn clothes wearing individuals around.
I agree that people should always look their best before they leave the house. But you should see my town that I live in. Most don't. It's hard to find a good date here when you always dress nice and they look like they haven't took a shower in days.

But the makeup thing going to the gym: some put too much on, knowing they are going to sweat. I only wear my lip balm, shape my eyebrows, and sunscreen when I go jogging outdoors.

But the shape up shoes, I don't know. I haven't tried them yet. I might get 1 pair just to see what they feel like and such.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,420 times
I have a pair - frankly, I was skeptical about the "claims" and still am, but they are actually really comfortable, and I can walk for quite a while in them, and not experience the usual back and hip pain. As for lawsuits, that's hilarious - people will sue for pretty much anything, won't they?

Old 07-04-2010, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,367 times
Just like any product, shape ups works good for some people and maybe not as well for others. The reason I tried them (and I love them now) is because I am a bit clumsy and I have sprained my foot (without shape ups) and had to use a walking boot on the injured foot. I found that the boot has a similar 'rocking' sole and I felt that my gait with it was much smoother and there was less stress on my leg. The only problem was that my other shoe had a flat sole, this caused problems for me. So I tried the shape ups with the boot and it was great! Now I use shape ups (no boot) when I am going to be on my feet alot or going for a walk and so far they have worked very well for me. I feel like I walk straighter and my gait feels more natural then with a regular shoe. I'm happy with the results (no quick fixes for weight)

Old 07-04-2010, 02:57 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I think those Shape-up shoes are ridiculous looking and I only see them on old ladies going door to door giving away watchtowers or on fat women with bad feet.
LOL! OMG!

I've read a few articles that said they don't work any better than regular Sneakers for working out, walking, etc. My Mom told me she saw a Dr. Oz show segment called "Does It Work" and those "Shape Ups" were in the "No" category.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:22 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
I got a pair of Avia rockers on sale at Bob's for $40. I needed new sneakers, and my last pair of Easy Spirit didn't last as long as they usually do and didn't stay as comfortable for as many months as they usually do, so I was in the market for a change anyway.

I tried the Sketchers on, they seemed comfy but I couldn't justify over $100 for shoes I didn't already know would last (like Easy Spirits - minimum of 1 year wearing them almost every day of the year). I tried the Reebok ones, same result but they were too narrow.

Tried the Avias on, and lo and behold they were a perfect fit, and the price was right. In this case, it doesn't matter if they tone me up or not, they're less expensive than the Easy Spirits are, they fit flawlessly, they're comfortable enough I can wear them all day, and their comfort encourages me to walk more, which in turn tones me.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:46 PM

286 posts, read 535,448 times
I think the "science" reported on these shoes was five people using them. Just another gimmick for those who don't want to put in the effort

Old 07-05-2010, 09:41 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,347,014 times
Love my MBT's worht the cost to not have knee pain when on my feet 15hours...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness