Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:01 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,472 times

Advertisements

Feeling discouraged because I can't find another woman who wants to workout and lose weight. Sure I have plenty of overweight friends, but all they want to do it is b*tch about it. One such overweight friend is mad that I won't go to water aerobics class anymore as she used that as our socializing time (only time we saw each other) and she tried to talk me out of joining a gym and going to water aerobics instead. I just can't warrant spending $60 a month on something I did for 6 months straight last year 2-3 times a week and never noticed any weight loss or gain in strength, stamina, etc. Its just not a workout no matter how they pitch it to all the fat, middle women how fun bouncing in the pool is.

I looked into private martial arts classes down the line after I get a little more fit and that's $30 for 30 min lesson. Can't afford that. I placed ads for exercise partners and no answer at all!

Guess I will just have to work out alone to exercise dvds and maybe when I join the gym next month I will meet someone who wants to workout together. Been working out daily for past 4 months and loving it just wish it wasn't such a lonely venture. For now Leslie Sansone is my workout partner. lol

Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 07:37 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I don't mind working out by myself, but I know many people prefer to have an exercise buddy. Good luck to you!

Old 01-25-2010, 11:06 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Just join a gym and start working out. Once you get into a routine, you'll notice the same people are at the gym the same time as you. You'll get to know them since you'll see them pretty much everyday and then you'll have your workout partner(s). Going to some the the classes offered at the gym you'll see the same people over and over and even if you dont talk to them, you'll become "workout friends" because you'll know each other from the gym.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:38 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
What LTF said. You need to go to the gym and meet people, you will find a work out partner there. Take some classes, you'll meet people there as well. Don't get discouraged before you even start!

Old 01-25-2010, 02:13 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Don't let not having a workout partner deter you from reaching your weight loss goals. Your actions could perhaps spurs those friends you mentioned to start going! If not, keep on going. This is for you and your health! You can also try an online group where folks share their progress, etc. so you will have a virtual after workout partner! Did you try posting an ad at your local gym or Craigslist? If so, you can try again a little bit later. Good luck in your fitness goals!

Old 01-25-2010, 03:06 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Try finding someone at sparkpeople dot com. It's free. There are people from all over the country, many looking for workout partners and support. They list everyone by region, and you can join the local groups and they also do meets every now and then. It's very active and sure to be several people in your area. Try it.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:16 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,220 times
Stay focused. I can't find a woman to lift with. So, I feel a little bashful when going into the weight room alone. I tune into my ipod and get it done. You can do it!!!

Old 01-25-2010, 04:19 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Just join a gym and start working out. Once you get into a routine, you'll notice the same people are at the gym the same time as you. You'll get to know them since you'll see them pretty much everyday and then you'll have your workout partner(s). Going to some the the classes offered at the gym you'll see the same people over and over and even if you dont talk to them, you'll become "workout friends" because you'll know each other from the gym.

+1. Do your thing and I imagine that pretty quickly you will develop rapport with others there and there's your partners...and they would be ones who have already taken the first hard step to actually get into the gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Don't let not having a workout partner deter you from reaching your weight loss goals. Your actions could perhaps spurs those friends you mentioned to start going! If not, keep on going. This is for you and your health! You can also try an online group where folks share their progress, etc. so you will have a virtual after workout partner! Did you try posting an ad at your local gym or Craigslist? If so, you can try again a little bit later. Good luck in your fitness goals!
+1 again. Check out the sticky progress thread at the top of this page or the exercise journal subforum.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Yep I tried Craigslist months ago. What online groups are there to have virtual workout partners?

Old 01-25-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
What LTF said. You need to go to the gym and meet people, you will find a work out partner there. Take some classes, you'll meet people there as well. Don't get discouraged before you even start!

The gym doesn't have any classes. Its just a weightroom at the local recreation center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness