Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:15 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
I'm confused about this, too; I've done a little Tai Kwon Do and a little Aikido. I really would like to focus on Aikido but Krav Maga seems pretty fascinating. I think those two are probably opposites, philosophically (?).

I read somewhere that Aikido was just a nice way to exercise and "learn Japanese manners." Does that mean that Steven Segal is a fake? I don't think so, but I'm not sure. I'm confused about him, too: his films are very, very violent, and yet he is supposed to be a great Aikido master (I'm sure he is) and follower of Asian philosophies of ...non-violence? Isn't that a HUGE contradiction? I like his films; I think many woman do, and far more men do, as well. They're about the bad guy getting his just dues, and they make you feel powerful. But no one ever seems to mention this contradiction. There's something about SS that's ever so slightly juvenile; I'm not sure what it is -- I can't put my finger on it.

I don't want to spend years practicing a martial art which is BS.
Aikido is a "do" - a "Way", a philosophy of living in addition to being a martial art. Krav Maga is strictly a "jitsu", or a martial/fighting style. Apples and oranges.

There are also several forms of aikido, some more combat-oriented than others. Most arts seem to lose their war-like qualities when they age, becoming sport (like BJJ and TKD).

That being said, "Asian philosophy" is a term that encompasses thousands of years and hundreds of schools of thought, everything from pure pacifism to outright savagery. Aikido, at least the original styles, were meant to teach the student how to blend energies with their opponents, in effect having your opponent beat themselves. But there are also aspects of the philosophy that basically call for death and hellfire to be brought down when necessary. So it isn't necessarily out of tune with oriental philosophy.

IMHO, Krav Maga would be the best method to study if you're truly interested in pure self-defense, armed and unarmed, and have only a limited amount of time to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 12:12 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Does Krav use a lot of power? I only kinda looked at it lightly and it seems its a lot of aggressive attack moves more than defensive motions using the others attack (like jujitsu).
Does it have as many "disable" moves like jujitsu...I am kinda personally amazed how fast you can mess someone up in less than 10 seconds with what I do know.

awesome jujitsu move:

YouTube - Jujitsu Defense Techniques : Jujitsu: Cross Wrist Grab Defense

I just really love it so much because its movement magic.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Does Krav use a lot of power? I only kinda looked at it lightly and it seems its a lot of aggressive attack moves more than defensive motions using the others attack (like jujitsu).
Does it have as many "disable" moves like jujitsu...I am kinda personally amazed how fast you can mess someone up in less than 10 seconds with what I do know.

From what little I know of Krav Maga, it is used by the Israeli Army for use in combat and by their police forces. Defense serves only a limited function in military ops - better to take the guy down fast without fooling around. With the police, their work is more suited to a style like juijitsu with it's joint locks and takedowns.

For any style, the longer you spend defending yourself, the more opportunities you give to your opponent to land a strike.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:05 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,250 times
This is all the self defense learning you will ever need:

YouTube - Bas Rutten Street Defense - The Better Version

Bas Rutten is the man.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:13 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
here is my best shot, dragon whips tail.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:28 AM

403 posts, read 1,119,677 times
Aikido is actually a great self-defense art, in the right hands. I came from Judo and Karate originally and found some kick ass martial artists in Aikido, back when I trained in the Bay Area. The techniques of Aikido originate from AikiJutsu, an amalgam of Kenjutsu (sword fighting strategy) and conventional Jujutsu. Eventually, that style became Aikijujutsu (or Jujutsu powered by Aiki strategies,) and then Aikido, when a Japanese board of martial arts needed to coin a term for it in the 1930's.

The Spiritual/New Age aspects that are pervasive in the art today, were mostly added by Western wusses who took the founder's comments out of context, in order to spread the art to the hippie-laden West Coast of the U.S. It was always a form of Jujutsu, albeit a study in non-conventional methods of technical application. But post-WWII, the Spiritual side had the most marketing potential in the West.

Additionally, there's a fair amount of cross-pollination of Aikido techniques in other martial arts.

Judo, for example, borrowed heavily from Aikido (via Tomiki) for its Goshinjutsu (or self-defense) kata. That Krav Maga video posted above is a replication of an Aikido technique known as Katate-Kosadori Nikkyo. Yes, Krav Maga took it from Aikido; they didn't simultaneously discover it.

For what it's worth, I used to train in BJJ back before the UFC was invented; back when they were calling it Carlos Jiujitsu. I rolled with some of the primary creators of the UFC, but it was the level of training that was important, not the name of the art. After all, traditional BJJ is still just the Gracie's take on Judo Ne-Waza (plus some ankle locks.)

Ultimately, far more important than what martial art you take, is what level of training you're going to get. It's not the name of the martial art, or even its tradition, it's the quality of training you personally will get at the dojo/gym in your area. In other words, look for the best teacher and training partners, and past the name of the style.

Last edited by Venusian_Artist; 02-21-2010 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 02-21-2010, 01:56 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
I'm looking at getting into martial arts, for self defense and exercise mostly. I want to learn real world self defense tactics, and how to disarm somebody if they approach with a weapon. I have heard Jujitsu was the way to go, but the only place I found that offers it around here is like $100 per month.

Any suggestions???
taikwondo would be great. I did that and it took just over 2 years to get black belt and learned real world self defense tactics and how to disarm someon if they approach with a weapon.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:07 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
I'm looking at getting into martial arts, for self defense and exercise mostly. I want to learn real world self defense tactics, and how to disarm somebody if they approach with a weapon. I have heard Jujitsu was the way to go, but the only place I found that offers it around here is like $100 per month.

Any suggestions???
You need to figure out first what schools/teachers are in your area. THEN, you need to figure out which is best for you and which one you would enjoy the most.

From who and where did you hear that jujitsu was the way to go? I ask this because many people say/claim that bjj is the best because that is what they see in MMA/UFC which has rules that favor those who do grappling arts. But there are those who do NOT do jujitsu who are successful like Fedor Emelianenko, Chuck Liddel, CroCop, Dan Henderson, Rampage Jackson, etc.

If you want "real world" self defense then stay away from the schools that stress tournaments. The best real life street fighting real self defence true martial arts ability having people I have met in my life were an 65+ year old taiji guy and my near 60 year old wing chun sifu. Dan Inosanto whom I trained with as well is supremely gifted martial artist who does Kali, Kenpo, Silat, and many other arts.

Point I am trying to make is, pick a school style that YOU enjoy and one that will help teach and develop your "fighting spirit" if you want to be successful.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:40 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,414,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
taikwondo would be great. I did that and it took just over 2 years to get black belt and learned real world self defense tactics and how to disarm someon if they approach with a weapon.
"A black belt only covers two inches of your ass, you have to cover the rest"
-Royce Gracie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
From who and where did you hear that jujitsu was the way to go? I ask this because many people say/claim that bjj is the best because that is what they see in MMA/UFC which has rules that favor those who do grappling arts. But there are those who do NOT do jujitsu who are successful like Fedor Emelianenko, Chuck Liddel, CroCop, Dan Henderson, Rampage Jackson, etc.
Fedor, Chuck, Crocop, Hendo, and Rampage all train some BJJ.

and trust me, just because guys are kicking ass in UFC/MMA, with "rules that faovor those who do grappling arts", doesn't mean they can't open a can on someone outside the ring.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
...and trust me, just because guys are kicking ass in UFC/MMA, with "rules that faovor those who do grappling arts", doesn't mean they can't open a can on someone outside the ring.
Two words - "multiple opponents".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness