Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 AM

992 posts, read 2,372,599 times

Advertisements

It probably sounds like a dumb question...

I really want to start running. I haven't really ever had a routine, and I want to know how I begin.

Any advice? Suggestions?

I'm healthy, but overweight. I eat well, and am losing baby weight. I don't have any specific running goals other than I'd like to enjoy my runs and perhaps run a half marathon in the next few years or so.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 10:21 AM

78,345 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post

I really want to start running. I haven't really ever had a routine, and I want to know how I begin.

Any advice? Suggestions?

I'm healthy, but overweight. I eat well, and am losing baby weight. I don't have any specific running goals other than I'd like to enjoy my runs and perhaps run a half marathon in the next few years or so.

Thank you!
I'm not an expert but will share my personal experience of getting back into shape.

1) Get some good shoes.
2) Depending on HOW heavy you are consider starting with less impacting cardio like elyptical machines (this is what I did for the first 30lbs.)
3) Run on springy surfaces even after you get the weight down. Rubberized tracks...then maybe asphalt but definitely stay off cement as it's so hard on the body.
4) There is no shame is walking for a bit but don't let that stop you.

I put on some winter weight (15lbs), was running 7 miles this summer and had a hard time running 3 now. My lower back was tightening up....

Tonight i'm running 5 miles no matter what, even if I have to walk sections.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:29 AM

41,950 posts, read 75,153,734 times
I second the good shoes. They make all the difference. Go to an independent shop that specializes in running shoes, and have them fit you. Pay attention to what they're saying and ask questions, so that in the future you can shop on your own (and pay a lot less!).

I'd been walking 3 or so miles a day before I started running, and I began the Girl Scout endurance-building way: 20 paces running, 20 paces walking, and gradually increased the number of paces running. Then I'd say "I'm going to run up to that white car." If there were someone else on the street after I'd passed the white car, I'd keep going until the person was out of sight, just to save face. Sometimes, the white car would start to move! Those helped build endurance, too.

For my money, it's easier to run on a solid outdoor surface than to run on a treadmill. Much less stressful psychologically, too; no worrying that I'm going to fall off.

And if you really want to enjoy your runs, pick a location that's pleasing to your eye, and doesn't cause a lot of stress (traffic, pedestrians, etc.).

Good luck!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:31 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,883,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post

Any advice? Suggestions?

Thank you!
Start with a walk/run routine for the first month. Walk for 5 minutes and run/jog for 5 minutes for 30 minutes to begin with. Alternate every 5 minutes. Do this for the first week or so.

And when you are feeling a little stronger, run a little longer and walk a little less. After a couple of months, or less, you should be able to run 2 miles without walking (if done 5 days a week to begin with).

Also, stretch for 10 minutes before and after every time you go for a run/jog. And always do a warm-up before and a cool-down after (like a 5 minute walk).

Also, incorporate some Pilates or Yoga and light weight training to the workout. Also some pushups and crunches would really help your core area to be stronger too. For 2-3 times a week is all.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:53 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,928,096 times
Do a Google search for the "Couch to 5k" program, it's fantastic. There's even an app if you have an iPhone for it.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:53 PM

541 posts, read 2,137,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Do a Google search for the "Couch to 5k" program, it's fantastic. There's even an app if you have an iPhone for it.
Exactly what I was going to say! And ditto on the recommendations to invest in some good running shoes!!!

Old 03-02-2010, 04:01 PM

280 posts, read 1,135,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Start with a walk/run routine for the first month. Walk for 5 minutes and run/jog for 5 minutes for 30 minutes to begin with. Alternate every 5 minutes. Do this for the first week or so.
That's what I did. I would run (slow jog, really) for a song then walk for a song. It could be a week or it could be longer depending on where you are starting from, it took me several weeks, but eventually you'll add a second song to your run. Then a third, a fourth, etc. It took me about 3-4 months to go from sedentary and overweight to being able to run 3-4 miles at a time.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:21 PM

992 posts, read 2,372,599 times
Thank you everyone! I checked out the Couch to 5k program and it's really comprehensive! I had a friend suggest the same site to me...looks great!

I'm going to invest in some good shoes and a good sports bra for sure!

I'm really looking forward to this...I've always wanted to do it but always have been a little nervous and scared.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:30 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,157 times
Along with couch-to-5k, another very successful walk-to-run program is outlined in The Beginning Runner's Handbook by Ian MacNeil. Coincidentally, the first time I completed this program, I was working to get back in shape after having my first child. It definitely worked.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 03-02-2010 at 06:51 PM..

Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,506 times
where do you find rubberized tracks? that would really be helpful since I remember getting shin splints just from dance performances back when I danced. I know they have them around high school football fields but most of the high schools here lock everything up after hours so I couldn't run there. my college has an indoor track but its cemented so that's no good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness