Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 14,396 times

Advertisements

I've just started lifting weights to increase the size of my chest, biceps and abs.
I'm still sore 2 days later. Should I wait until the soreness is gone or go back tonight like I planned?

Also, how many machines (Chest press, bicep curl, ab machine, etc) should I use each time I go to the gym? I go Fri, Sat, Sun & Mon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 11:33 PM

415 posts, read 1,778,690 times
I cannot emphasize this enough: TAKE A CLASS OR FIND A TRAINER. IMMEDIATELY.

Get proper training or there is a significant risk of injuring yourself. I am speaking from first hand experience.

You owe it to yourself to learn how to lift weights properly.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:21 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
I cannot emphasize this enough: TAKE A CLASS OR FIND A TRAINER. IMMEDIATELY.

Get proper training or there is a significant risk of injuring yourself. I am speaking from first hand experience.

You owe it to yourself to learn how to lift weights properly.

I'm going to have to agree here - learn what you're doing and learn how to do it properly first. A trainer works (many gyms offer free initial consultation or a brief introductory class on lifting for little/no extra cost), find an experienced partner, read up on it, whatever. I suppose by coming here and asking you're on the right path.

If you're new to lifting it will take a while for you to recover. Up your protein intake and sleep. Your body will eventually catch up and recovery will come quicker.

It sounds like you're more or less working everything when you go lift. Usually people split things up - Maybe legs and shoulders one day, chest and triceps another day and then back and biceps (just a common example).

How many machines should you use each time you go in? I'm not a big fan of machines, but how many sets and reps you do can vary, depending on your goal. Right now I would strive for three sets of ten on a couple exercises per muscle group exercised. Further down the road I'd try 5x5, pyramids, volume training and other rep schemes.

It also doesn't sound like you're doing the right exercises for a solid weightlifting program. I know chest, abs and biceps are seen as the most important for vanity purposes, but you'll be much better off if you get into compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, rows, barbell bench press and shoulder presses.

Going Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday might be a bit of an overload. Is there any way you can stagger it so that you have a day or two between gym visits? Maybe Friday, Sunday and Tuesday?

Old 03-09-2010, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 14,396 times
El Rhino
I hired a trainer at the gym. He didn't want to show me the machines so I dropped him. He only wanted me to do push ups and squats for him as fast as I could. I was sore for 5 days and he said he'd need many weeks of that before I'd be ready for a machine. Sorry buddy, I'm not paying you for 'many weeks'. Waste of $100.

This is what I'm doing.

Squats 3 sets of 10
Pull down (50lbs) 3 sets of ten
Chest Press (50lbs) 3 sets of ten
Torso Twist (90lbs) 3 sets of ten
Bicep curl (45lbs) 3 sets of 10
Sitting Crunch (90lbs) 3 sets of ten

Old 03-09-2010, 02:21 PM

24 posts, read 149,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoGinger View Post
El Rhino
I hired a trainer at the gym. He didn't want to show me the machines so I dropped him. He only wanted me to do push ups and squats for him as fast as I could. I was sore for 5 days and he said he'd need many weeks of that before I'd be ready for a machine. Sorry buddy, I'm not paying you for 'many weeks'. Waste of $100.

This is what I'm doing.

Squats 3 sets of 10
Really? The trainer made you do push-ups and squats fast?

If you're just starting out, slow down! Cut down your sets to 1 or 2 and the reps to 6 or 8 for a few weeks. You're gonna be a little sore anyway if you've never lifted before, but there's a high risk of injury as mentioned previously if you aren't doing it right (or too much). 5 days for soreness though is way too much.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:41 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
Quote:
El Rhino

Yeah, that's another issue that we didn't touch on.... There are a lot of people out there who have the occupation of "personal trainer" but really have no clue what they're doing. A good PT would have started out by showing you the basics and how to do them properly. You're ready to use machines once you know how to use them and your physician deems you healthy enough to begin an exercise program (gotta put that disclaimer in!), it's as simple as that.

My advice to you is to think about moving over to free weights and of course having someone show you how to properly use them. If you're uncomfortable with that now, think of doing it a little ways down the road when you're a little more comfortable with the gym.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:56 PM

758 posts, read 2,888,561 times
drop the machines, learn proper technique and go to free weights. Don't work out the same muscles 3 times a week or every other day, etc. Stagger them. You build muscle by tearing (which is why you're sore) and allowing the muscle to regrow and recover. You aren't allowing for any recovery by working the same muscles multiple times a week. When first starting out, recovery will take longer. Eventually you'll learn to listen to YOUR body and figure out a good schedule, but there is no magic formula.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:26 PM

181 posts, read 598,511 times
Quote:
I've just started lifting weights to increase the size of my chest, biceps and abs.
I'm still sore 2 days later. Should I wait until the soreness is gone or go back tonight like I planned?

Also, how many machines (Chest press, bicep curl, ab machine, etc) should I use each time I go to the gym? I go Fri, Sat, Sun & Mon.
First of all, do not get a personal trainer. Most PTs at commercial gyms are terrible and will show you the machines. Machines are 100% inferior to free weights. They restrict your range of motion, take all stabilizer muscles out of the equation, and aren't optimal for size or strength.

You want to learn how to squat deep, deadlift, bench press, military press, power clean, and row. These lifts work the most muscle groups at once and give you the most "bang for your buck". For example, when you deadlift, you work your hamstrings, quads, lower back, traps, biceps, and abs. Compare this to something like leg curls and tell me what you think is more effective

Old 03-14-2010, 11:12 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,492 times
Quote:

What are you trying to do - lose weight and get more lean or gain large amounts of muscle? Both require different strategies.

If you are sore that means your body is healing. Wait until you are not sore to work out those particular muscles.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:17 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,492 times
Quote:
El Rhino

This is what I'm doing.

Squats 3 sets of 10
Trainers can be useful, but if you do any research you can figure out stuff on your own (and save a lot of money). I strongly advise that you go to bodybuilding.com. Those guys know their stuff.

If you want to lose weight then I advise doing a lot of cardio and a comprehensive weight-lifting workout Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Mix it up every once in a while when your exercises get too easy. If you are a skinny guy trying to gain weight you need to eat a ton of food, not do a lot of cardio, and lift very heavy weights while focusing on one muscle group per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness