U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-10-2010, 06:44 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,096,134 times
Default Exercise while anemic?

I just found out that I have iron deficiency anemia. My hematocrit is 31%, hemoglobin 9.7, ferritin 4 and percent iron saturation is 5%.

I am trying to lose a little weight , and had been going to the gym on average 5 days a week doing cardio/weights for anywhere from 1-2 hours each time. My anemia explains why my fitness test was worse on Monday than when I started working out 3 months ago!

Since anemia can effect the heart, and I've had tachycardia and dizziness while working out (and other times), I wonder what I should do about exercise. The Doc just says, "don't stress out about exercising now."

Has anyone here dealt with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 09:55 PM

8,958 posts, read 7,128,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I just found out that I have iron deficiency anemia. My hematocrit is 31%, hemoglobin 9.7, ferritin 4 and percent iron saturation is 5%.

I am trying to lose a little weight , and had been going to the gym on average 5 days a week doing cardio/weights for anywhere from 1-2 hours each time. My anemia explains why my fitness test was worse on Monday than when I started working out 3 months ago!

Since anemia can effect the heart, and I've had tachycardia and dizziness while working out (and other times), I wonder what I should do about exercise. The Doc just says, "don't stress out about exercising now."

Has anyone here dealt with this?
Why do people pay a doctor good money then refuse to listen to life saving advice??

LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR OR NEVER HEAR THE MORTICIAN.

(If you really must workout then settle for mild walks that just get you moving like a senior....... slow and easy.)

Old 03-10-2010, 10:15 PM

9,926 posts, read 8,389,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Why do people pay a doctor good money then refuse to listen to life saving advice??

LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR OR NEVER HEAR THE MORTICIAN.

(If you really must workout then settle for mild walks that just get you moving like a senior....... slow and easy.)

I so have to agree with you.

Lawmom at this point as far as I can see the least of your worries is losing weight. Ignoring your doctor's advice and continuing to push your body when clearly its not up to the task is only going to end in serious illness for you.

If you're so concerned about the weight loss ABOVE and beyond the very serious anemia which you don't seem to understand very well why not go back to your doctor and have an in depth discussion about HOW to get your levels back up AND what exercise you can do right now AND as you levels go back up what you can "treat" yourself to in terms of increasing your exercise.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:46 AM

Ok, I was apparently not very clear. When she said "Don't stress about exercising right now", she did not say NOT to exercise at all. I did not plan to go back and do the aerobics classes, but was wondering about the treadmill for example. I'm not stupid.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:55 AM

9,926 posts, read 8,389,228 times
Look, no offense, but I've lived with someone who has iron deficiency anemia and quite frankly it sounds like, from your description of what's happening, that you're doing too much.

I'm not trying to discourage you from exercising ONLY that you need to clarify with your doctor what, "don't stress about exercising now" means in terms of how much exercise you should be doing AND you need to inform your doctor of the symptoms you've experienced whilst you are exercising and come clean about exactly how much you're doing.

There's no point asking people on a message board, you need to clarify this with your doctor. For the sake of your health. You are FAR better off getting all the information from your doctor and adhering to it even if it means cutting back severly on your regime for a little while than continuing on with the potential to do yourself a good deal more damage.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:00 AM

8,424 posts, read 22,827,733 times
I would not do it just because if you pass out and bounce your face off the treadmill handle..yikes...That makes my teeth hurt just to think of it and could easily happen. Tachycardia carries a risk of sudden death. You should never exercise with that just on a whim. If you do, you have to have a medical grade heart monitor AND do a bunch of pre-testing with your doctor.

I am guessing she wants to fix your iron to see if it fixes your heart issue or if its something else. I think her quote to you was a casual way of saying not to exercise but just go about a normal day. She does not want you to stress out mentally either if you have tachycardia issues. Stress is not good for that either.

I have no idea what a heart attack feels like. Please join my club.

But seriously..don't exercise just yet. Its just not safe.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:20 AM

Thanks, I understand, and will talk with my doctor about it (tried to yesterday -- called and got her nurse who only read to me the dictation from the visit which mentioned nothing at all about exercise.)

Old 03-12-2010, 10:15 AM

2,551 posts, read 1,288,935 times
2 hours seems way too much for your medical condition.

I, too, have anemia when I'm on the time of the month (my monthly cycle). I do workout a little, but I don't go very long in it, because I do tire out easy around the time of the month. So, I normally just take it easy until it's over and I have my strength/endurance back again.

But your type of anemia, you need to slow down some. It can be serious if not taken care properly. Maybe take up 30 minute walks around your neighborhood or on a treadmill. Nothing too strenuous or anything that can disrupt your condition again.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:17 AM

2,551 posts, read 1,288,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Thanks, I understand, and will talk with my doctor about it (tried to yesterday -- called and got her nurse who only read to me the dictation from the visit which mentioned nothing at all about exercise.)
Maybe you should get another doctor. One that understands about exercise and the importance of it. That's a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness