Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:06 AM

25 posts, read 66,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Sure what others do to themselves doesn't bother me either. But what is difficult is when everyone else in your family or circle of friends eats really unhealthy and never exercises. Then if you don't go out with friends or go over to family member's house for a swimming in grease and served inside a biscuit meal then you are labeled as antisocial. Those kind of people are what drag others down when they are trying to stay on the high road to fitness. (They sabotage others.) Just like having friends who only want to sit on the couch watching movies on the weekend and will never go with you for a walk or to the gym to lift. So what do you do? Stay clear of them and suddenly you are labeled the family snob because you won't come over to eat lard and bread.

Oh...and then there's people like my mom who tries to get me to give up exercising because its "unladylike" and my dad who apparently feels threatened by a daughter who lifted weights and did martial arts 15 hrs a week. I recently told my mother off bigtime when she referred to one of my cousins as looking "plum pitiful" because he had gone off to college, apparently started working out and lost a lot of weight. He was obese most of his childhood! I don't know if its an Appalachian thing or just my weird mom's side of the family kinda thing but they equate being fat with being healthy (though none of them are healthy). So what others do or think does affect us. In other words, hard not to get frustrated.
This is exactly what I am struggling with right now, both at work and with my family. I don' t know what the answer is, only that it is incredibly frustrating. I mention that I am watching what I eat and am told "but it's a special occasion!" Well, first of all, every time we see each other can not be a special occasion. Just because it's Friday, doesn't make it a special occasion. And even if it IS a special occasion, doesn't mean we have to make our selves sick with disgusting, fattening food. Sigh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 09:18 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,859,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Sure what others do to themselves doesn't bother me either. But what is difficult is when everyone else in your family or circle of friends eats really unhealthy and never exercises. Then if you don't go out with friends or go over to family member's house for a swimming in grease and served inside a biscuit meal then you are labeled as antisocial. Those kind of people are what drag others down when they are trying to stay on the high road to fitness. (They sabotage others.) Just like having friends who only want to sit on the couch watching movies on the weekend and will never go with you for a walk or to the gym to lift. So what do you do? Stay clear of them and suddenly you are labeled the family snob because you won't come over to eat lard and bread.

Oh...and then there's people like my mom who tries to get me to give up exercising because its "unladylike" and my dad who apparently feels threatened by a daughter who lifted weights and did martial arts 15 hrs a week. I recently told my mother off bigtime when she referred to one of my cousins as looking "plum pitiful" because he had gone off to college, apparently started working out and lost a lot of weight. He was obese most of his childhood! I don't know if its an Appalachian thing or just my weird mom's side of the family kinda thing but they equate being fat with being healthy (though none of them are healthy). So what others do or think does affect us. In other words, hard not to get frustrated.
See this is just ridiculous. Peer pressure all over again just like when you were in middle school and high school. You would think that as adults, one would not succumb to those types of pressures. I would NEVER EVER EVER let ANY outside influence effect me and the way I take care of my health. NEVER. Its actually worse because its like all your friends and family are saying "Hey, we are going to jump off of this mountain, why arent you? Arent you part of this family/group of friends? Then you should do it too?" Flat out stupid if you let this type of childish peer pressure get to you.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:26 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,943,393 times
I've been working out regularly for over 40 years. The trick I've used to get myself into the gym on those many day when I just don't feel like working out, is to give myself permission to take it easy during that workout. It works like a charm! 99% of the time....once I start my actual workout my attitude changes, and I end up doing my usual full-steam-ahead workout. On those very rare occassions when I do take it easy, I still feel victorious because I made it to the gym and did what I could do on that day, rather than throwing in the towel and doing nothing. And even then my workout is only slightly less intense than my normal routine...but the ever so slight reduction in intensity makes a world of difference. Like Yogi says, half of the battle is 90% mental!

Old 04-06-2010, 05:42 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,185,727 times
I think its like...99.9%..lol

AND A GREAT BIG MEGA BEAST! (with extra teeth)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness