Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 08:03 PM

68 posts, read 344,762 times

Advertisements

I am in need of some inout. I will be working the night shift (11 p.m.. to 7 a.m.) in about 3 weeks.

When do I eat?

How do I train myself to sleep in the day and be up at night? (I want to start getting used to the night owl schedule now so that when I do start, I am not too much like a zombie).

When do I work out (elliptical)?

This is all new to me (work schedule) and need some serious input as to when to sleep, eat and work out.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 07:04 AM

7,169 posts, read 9,225,978 times
You can either sleep after work and get up in the afternoon or you can stay up and go to sleep in the afternoon/evening. When I did graveyards I wanted to take some college courses. So I took morning courses and slept in the afternoon/evenings. Once your body adjusts to the schedule, it is just like getting up and going to work, then staying up after. Except everyone else is on a different schedule.

As to when to workout. When do you workout now? If you workout before work, then allow enough time when you get up to do so. If you workout after work, then keep it similar. Eating was the same. I would be having supper mid morning.

Training yourself to a new schedule is simple, on paper. Just get up at the same time each day. If you stay up too late one day, don't worry about it. You will be extra sleepy the next and will find it easier to go to sleep. To be honest it took me a couple of weeks to completely adjust to graveyards. I would wake up in the middle of the afternoon and be freaked out that I was sleeping in the afternoon. But that goes away, until you try to adjust back.

Good luck with this. To me the most important decision is whether to sleep right after or before work. You need to make that decision based on what you want to do with your spare time. The advantage to this schedule is you don't have to take time off for various things like Drs appointments, etc.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:09 PM

68 posts, read 344,762 times
Thank you for your input. It's true about hte Dr. appointments.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:08 AM

11 posts, read 23,906 times
Thanks for this post! The advice is really great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness