Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:30 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post

While you can't blame government for people's irresponsibility, you can blame them if their actions are contributing to the problem. Look at how prevalent high fructose corn syrup is. Maybe if the government gave subsidies to farmers who grow fruits and vegetables instead of to corn growers, HFCS wouldn't be so cheap to produce and fruits and veggies would be more affordable.

Yes, but it is still a persons choice as to what they consume. It's not hard to find healthy choices now a days. Just because crappy foods are offered doesn't mean I HAVE to buy them. I can support smaller farms locally and choose to be active.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 10:56 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,669,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Yes, but it is still a persons choice as to what they consume. It's not hard to find healthy choices now a days. Just because crappy foods are offered doesn't mean I HAVE to buy them. I can support smaller farms locally and choose to be active.
I agree BUT if I were supporting a family of four on my same salary - as most people are - I'd be singing a different tune. When you are living paycheck to paycheck, feeding hungry children, you have to stretch your dollar as best you can. For this reason, I try not to be as judgmental as you are when discussing what other people eat.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:03 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,967,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
We may be,but it's not the Government's place to order people to lose weight.

Really?

http://trusted.md/blog/donald_b_arde...to_weight_loss

Japan thinks otherwise...

Old 04-22-2010, 11:15 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I agree BUT if I were supporting a family of four on my same salary - as most people are - I'd be singing a different tune. When you are living paycheck to paycheck, feeding hungry children, you have to stretch your dollar as best you can. For this reason, I try not to be as judgmental as you are when discussing what other people eat.
I agree. It's easy to preach to others about taking responsibility. But for a lot of people, healthy food is either unavailable or too expensive. If you live below the poverty line and have children, you have to be smart about how you spend money. Most fast food joints have value items for $1. If I'm a single parent with 2 kids, I could get a burger, fries and drink for all three of us for under $10. What could also be true is that I live in the city and don't own a car. I may not have a grocer within walking distance and if I do, it may just be a convenience type store that doesn't have fresh or even frozen veggies. But you fast food joints are at every corner. Government can actually do a lot of good with targeted taxes and subsidies. I can understand paying sales tax on a TV, but on a bag of frozen carrots? How bout giving tax breaks to grocery chains who set up stores in areas where healthy food is hard to find?

Old 04-22-2010, 11:17 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Government can actually do a lot of good with targeted taxes and subsidies.
Government could do more by eliminating subsidies. How do you think soy/corn-based convenience foods wrapped in obscene amounts of packaging ended up so cheap in the first place?

Old 04-22-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I agree. It's easy to preach to others about taking responsibility. But for a lot of people, healthy food is either unavailable or too expensive. If you live below the poverty line and have children, you have to be smart about how you spend money. Most fast food joints have value items for $1. If I'm a single parent with 2 kids, I could get a burger, fries and drink for all three of us for under $10. What could also be true is that I live in the city and don't own a car. I may not have a grocer within walking distance and if I do, it may just be a convenience type store that doesn't have fresh or even frozen veggies. But you fast food joints are at every corner. Government can actually do a lot of good with targeted taxes and subsidies. I can understand paying sales tax on a TV, but on a bag of frozen carrots? How bout giving tax breaks to grocery chains who set up stores in areas where healthy food is hard to find?
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Government could do more by eliminating subsidies. How do you think convenience foods ended up so cheap?
Indeed, the worst foods are the most subsidized. High fructose corn syrup is the cheapest calorie which is why it is in damn near everything. Really I shouldn't be that specific and just mention corn as a whole. It's not going to change though, as for instance corn is a major export and of course billions of gallons of ethanol (which comes from corn) are blended into gasoline by federal law.

What's really stupid is states like mine, NY, are threatening to add a tax to soft drinks. I don't drink the stuff personally but I still think it is ridiculous to tax people for drinking stuff that is cheaper than water, and made that cheap by our own federal government... just another way to stick it to lower income people "for their own good."

Old 04-22-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
...I still think it is ridiculous to tax people for drinking stuff that is cheaper than water, and made that cheap by our own federal government... just another way to stick it to lower income people "for their own good."
I'm pretty sure that tap water still comes out ahead, although your point is well made.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 04-22-2010 at 11:46 AM..

Old 04-22-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I'm pretty sure that tap water still comes out ahead, although your point is well made.
Again you are only thinking of yourself - I personally have lived in buildings with pipes so old the water was rusty and undrinkable.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:22 PM

Again? What the heck is that supposed to mean?

Old 04-22-2010, 12:25 PM

161 posts, read 240,296 times
Quote:
Only problem i see here you you said you can feed two children and yourself for 10 bucks. This is one meal for 10 bucks. SOunds cheap but if you spread that over a week 3 times a day thats over 200 bucks.
With half the money you could feed yourself and your two kids for a whole week and these would be complete meals with fruits veggies and your protiens. These meal would be much heathier then burger and fries.
Many times it due to lazy parents not wanting to cook and its easier to just run to the drive thru. You save so much money cooking your own meals plus the benefit of spend time with your family while cook instead of sitting in the local fast food drive thru.
Its not that hard to make healthy meals with a limited salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness