Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 03:43 PM

739 posts, read 2,253,069 times

Advertisements

it could be that you weigh too much. Concrete never hurt me but i don't weigh hardly anything I close to being underweight.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 03:49 PM

16,882 posts, read 16,145,167 times
I'm not a runner but I like to do brisk walking.

Last fall I developed plantar fasciitis in one of my feet - sharp pains in my heal, down through my arch. I've found that four things have really helped with this: 1) Good shoes 2) Gel inserts - I've used the ones from Dr. Scholls. I like the full shoe inserts designed for athletic shoes. I replace as soon as I feel pain when I'm walking. 3) Losing weight 4) walking on trails/treadmills.

Concrete is really hard on your feet and joints. Even when I was at optimum weight, I would develop painful shin splints if I didn't replace my shoes soon enough.

Last edited by springfieldva; 05-21-2010 at 04:12 PM..

Old 05-22-2010, 08:56 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,379,962 times
Trust me don't run on concrete, In the long run its very bad for your joints. Instead go the your nearest park and run on the grass.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:19 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,828,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Trust me don't run on concrete, In the long run its very bad for your joints. Instead go the your nearest park and run on the grass.
I agree. If at all possible, try to stay away from concrete, but dont use it as an excuse NOT to exercise. None of this "Oh, I wanted to run, but the only place to run is on concrete and I heard its bad so I didnt run.". Its safer to run on concrete than to not run at all.

I always try to run on the dirt trails in parks and hiking areas or on the beach, but if I cant there, I am for sure going running on the sidewalk in the neighborhood. Ive NEVER had any injury from running, but then again, I only do on average about 3 miles per day which isnt much.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:10 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,462,162 times
When I run I much prefer the treadmill or a local track that has very soft clay. I tried to run on my side walks in my neighborhood but my joints and shins were aching, and that was even after taking rests.

I now just use the treadmill in the gym at work, and the gym I have a membership to at home. I don't have any pain after running on that. Sometimes I'll even use the elliptical for something different.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,034 times
Default running on pavement

Repetitive running on pavement or any surface can cause damage to muscles and bones. I believe that we should be alternating between running surfaces, allowing ALL of our muscles a chance to do some work. Many runners, after having an injury, switch to softer surfaces. This may not be adequate because it's still "same surface" running. We need varying terrain imho. Here's an article that may help explain better: [url]http://www.forkstofeet.com/2013/06/whats-better-running-on-pavement-or-dirt.html[/url] I hope that this helped. Some people don't have the luxury of having different surfaces to run on. Depending on where you live, you may have to do some searching.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:26 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,268,822 times
DB sums it up, IMO you are no more going to get used to running on pavement than you get used to getting hit in the head with a brick. A hard surface transmits more impact to your joints and will wear them down. I'm an avid runner, but my advice is that if you don't have any choice but to run on concrete, don't run.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:26 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,780,745 times
I agree with DB and wutitz, especially if you have any type of pre-existing or acute joint issues. The pounding motion is accumulative, eventually its going to have an affect on your body. At the beginning of the year I joined a running club. They train on river trails, some dirt, some gravel. Frequently the only dirt was on the side of the gravel road, and very uneven. It was a disaster waiting to happen for me, especially after doctors orders to not run due to being s/p 2 back surgeries and a torn medial meniscus (now healed). I do like HIIT with some running on the AstroTurf at our local sports parks & HS stadiums, but I absolutely will not do it on pavement.

Old 06-12-2020, 02:07 PM

113 posts, read 143,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Avoid running on concrete at all costs. Even asphalt is much easier on your joints, as it is only about 1/4th as dense as concrete. A quick, easy test you can do in order to experience the difference in density is to take a regular carpenter's hammer outside and kneel down and rap the sidewalk (concrete) a couple times. Then step out into the street and strike the asphalt. Feel how much more the hammer bounces? That gives you a good idea of how much better asphalt is for you. And when you consider that when running, each foot-strike is hitting the ground with a force roughly equivalent to twice your weight. Multiply that by about 1500 foot strikes per mile, and you can see how much less pounding you're looking at from avoiding concrete.
The best outside surfaces to run on would be a local high school track, either one made frome the old traditional packed cinders, or the newer synthetic rubber material. The only downside with tracks is, they can get boring real fast, and some people experience pain on the left knee after a period of time, since that's the inside knee--assuming of ocurse you're running in the traditional counter-clockwise direction. This discomfort can be avoided however, by simply running clockwise once in awhile.
Running trails are of course, the other preferrable outdoor surface. The downside here is that you may come across uneven spots, so you have to watch your step so as not to trip or sprain a knee or ankle.
Grass can be good since it's soft, but it is sometimes TOO soft, and thus will make you work a bit harder. If the grass is long the added friction or "drag" will also make your run a little more difficult. Also, grass surfaces are notoriously filled with depressions and potholes, unless you're running on that football field inside the aforementioned track. But this too can get old.
The easiest surface for running, as far as your joints are concerned, is the treadmill, hands down! It's smooth and springy and the fact that the belt is rolling and is therefore doing some of your work for you makes this the preferred surface for people who have problems with shin splints, runner's knee. IT Band syndrome, plantar fasciitis, or any other common running malady. If you use a treadmill, try and set the elevation at at least 1% so as to compensate for the easiness of it, if, that is, you want to get an honest workout.
The treadmill can be boring, though, which is why many outdoor runners refer to it as the "dreadmill."
Myself, I've learned to love the treadmill, and have found many ways to combat the boredom, like changing up the routine by playing with the speed and the elevation controls, or listening to music, or watching TV, or even checking out all the hardbodies at the gym. LOL.
Whatever you do: invest in some good running shoes; even the higher-priiced ones are well worth the price for someone who has a history of injuries or discomfort when running.

I HATE treadmills with a passion. I refuse to use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness