Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:42 PM

573 posts, read 2,058,760 times

Advertisements

I am normal weight and always try to exercise every week, 2 hrs. There are different things that motivate me, even simple things, like just by looking at a person that's obese can motivate me because I do not want to be like them. I know what happens when people become lazy and gain weight, they are unable to lose that weight because they gain too much. If I do not feel like exercising on a particular day all I do is go to yahoo or google images and look at pictures of people that are obese and I am automatically motivated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 08:31 PM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times
I have never liked to exercise, so motivation is a big issue for me. There are three things that help get me going: 1. having an exercise buddy. 2. Knowing how much better I will feel better after exercise; and 3. the photo of me in a swimsuit that I posted on the refrigerator door. (Tee hee!)

Old 04-19-2010, 09:14 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,541 times
I just want to be healthy! I enjoy being active and I love being outdoors. I have really been enjoying working out lately. I didn't always feel that way about exercising, but for some reason it has all changed. It's like a high for me to finish a workout and know that I ate clean all day.

I'm slowly reaching my goals and it makes me happy to know that I am sticking to a healthy path.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:59 AM

181 posts, read 598,647 times
lots of things.

- i thoroughly enjoy lifting weights.
- i play soccer/basketball and if i want to play D3 next year @ my college i am going to have to be strong and fast.
- aesthetic gains.
- strength gains.
- the look i get from others during deadlifts and power cleans

Old 04-20-2010, 07:35 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
What motivates you to exercise?
Its fun and I LOVE the way I feel after a good workout.
My health and fitness is VERY VERY important to me and my family
My 2yr old daughter - I want to make sure I am around for as long as possible to help her grow up.
My work - I teach martial arts and do bodyguarding.
It flat out makes for better sex.
I (and the wife) like the way I look when naked.
I know I'll have higher energy and greater focus after I exercise.
When I see others in great shape (primarily women) its a huge motivating factor. Just last night when I saw this vid with the woman working out, it motivated me so much I went in the garage and did a quick workout.
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...1clean1min.mov

Old 04-20-2010, 09:28 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Most recently, it's been the research indicating that women need an hour of exercise per day to stave off middle-age weight gain. It's difficult, particularly because all my hard work isn't paying off in weight loss, and while I'm hardly obese, I outweigh most of my peers of the same height by a good 10-15 lbs. That's discouraging, but I keep plugging away, knowing that even if I can't see it on the scale, my overall health still benefits.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 04-20-2010 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-20-2010, 09:36 AM

739 posts, read 2,262,195 times
being chased by this mean poodle. It chases me about 1/2 of a mile every day and tries to bit my leg. These other people have 2 black cats that hate me they hide behind this tree and run after me and try to grab me legs with their paws.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:49 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
I was fat as a kid for a few years. Lost my fat along with most of my muscle so I was skinny fat. Joined X-country since I was so skinny. One day, I tried to bench press...couldn't bench the bar. Yes, no weights just the bar and I was 16. That day, I decided to quit X-Country and start lifting weights. Now, I'm not a big guy but I am above average and once a lose a few more pounds around my gut, I'll be satisifed with how I look. I'm planning to be Rocky for Halloween so I need to look good!

Old 04-20-2010, 03:16 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Mostly I'm motivated because I do things I love (running and cycling). Most of my friends participate in those activities as well, so if I stop I'd be pretty lonely.

I'm also motivated by ~not~ exercising. Or rather not being able to. I've been sick for the last 4 days and man I was itching to get out and run at lunch! I wasn't able to run fast or long, but it sure felt good to use my muscles and be out in the sun.

Finally, new gear motivates me. A new pair of running shoes or a new wheelset for my mountainbike will usually get me out the door in a hurry.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:48 PM

367 posts, read 415,265 times
A desire to remain a non-smoker (quit 9 years ago)
A desire to start my days off right
Love the adrenaline rush post-exercise
Love the sense of accomplishment
A desire to be smokin' hot!
Trying to fight the hands of time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness