Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:56 PM

739 posts, read 2,262,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I run three days a week.
Running will not make you legs stronger. Maybe its because I am not a bodybuilder but what I do is more similiar to what powerlifters do its very simple. There are a lot of people at my gym that have arm days and do a bunch of isolation exercises and I can lift a lot more than them on deadlift, squat, benchpress but they look a lot stronger. But they can do more like with curls and some isolation exercises but only having strong biceps is not much use. Like this guy there that curls 140 lbs and does it in the squat rack but I can lift a lot more if its a compound pulling exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 03:30 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
You hit the nail on the head Chad. Everyone is different...different goals, dfferent interests, different body types, different workout styles, etc. What works for one person, doesn't necessarily work for another person. Some things work...for some of the people....some of the time.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:38 AM

3 posts, read 4,998 times
Dead lifts and squats are compound movements that target large muscle groups in the lower body and will really tax you system. Thats why most people won't do them. But many people don't realize that those exercises will stimulate your testosterone levels naturally, so your entire body gets stronger. Ask any serious powerlifter.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:37 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpleahy View Post
Dead lifts and squats are compound movements that target large muscle groups in the lower body and will really tax you system. Thats why most people won't do them. But many people don't realize that those exercises will stimulate your testosterone levels naturally, so your entire body gets stronger. Ask any serious powerlifter.
It has more to do with misconceptions about what the deadlift is and who it's intended for. They see it as an exercise meant mainly for powerlifters. Since most people are just interested in general fitness and don't aspire to be powerlifters, they refrain from performing the deadlift. They also worry about injury, which is a big reason why people avoid doing the squat as well. I doubt your average gymgoer is thinking in terms of what exercise stimulates the most testosterone.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:04 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
I though Chad Roper was back... I feel duped! He's got to be 7 feet tall, 315 pounds by now.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:03 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
LOL. Either that or he's 5'1" and weighs 97lb. His size fluctuated wildly in both directions.

As for deads and squats being serious exercises with the weights, you all probably know that old saying: If you're not squatting, you're not lifting. While I understand the concern about injury, it seems to me that with these exercises it's especially important to use proper form.

Also, there is a balance it's possible to strike, where you challenge yourself but still remain within your capabilities. Dead lifts are an exercise with which it's particularly important to maintain that balanced approach. This means pushing really hard only after you are very experienced and have a really good feel for proper form.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:08 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
LOL. Either that or he's 5'1" and weighs 97lb. His size fluctuated wildly in both directions.
Must've been split personality disorder.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 655 times
Why do you think olympic weightlifting is so unpopular in the US as an organized sport

Old 02-22-2015, 01:07 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
I love the deadlift. Since I started doing deadlifts and squats back in April of last year my lower body has gotten much bigger and stronger. Deadlifts work more muscles than any other lift except maybe squats. At my gym I see a few people doing deadlifts but most don't. Deadlifts are more taxing on the body than even squats. Maybe that's why people shy away from them.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:37 PM

743 posts, read 832,411 times
Because deadlifts are possibly the most dangerous exercise, even if performed properly accidents can and do happen. Also, there are plenty of replacement exercises for them. To each, their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness