Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 12:33 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
Dead lift is a terrible exercise. It can be dreadfully injurious to many joint in your body, especially the lower back, knees, and shoulders.

There is no reason to do this exercise, that is, it does not help with what we call "functional fitness." This is the type of exercise which increases a person's fitness level and ability to do thing more easily in ever day life.

CrossFit's who mindset and dynamic is based on this type of thinking: finctional fitness. They rightfully condemn the sort of resistance training that people who like to do power lifts often engage in. That is: standing around and isolating specific muscle groups. CrossFit keeps you moving, thus sustaining an elevated heart rate so you get cardio benefit as well as strength and flexibility.

Increasing endurance and flexibility are very important aspects of a fitness program--especially as we all get older. Power lifting helps with neither of these. In fact, right now off the top of my head I cannot think of a more potentially injurious or useless exercise than power lifting. (Well, unless maybe you were a professional wrestler! LOL)
Are you sure you've done crossfit or know what you're talking about? First of all, the deadlift isn't an isolation exercise. Second, and more telling, is just about every box incorporates deadlifts and cleans...which are fast deadlifts...

Third, powerlifters don't primarily do isolation work

fourth, just stop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 01:01 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
I do both CF and weightlifting and find both have their benefits. Weightlifting leads to better CF as the increased strength allows for surer manipulation of a given weight. CF leads to more stamina which is beneficial in prolonged weightlifting exercises. Both lead to mental toughness.

Once you go heavy or fast[relative limits to any individual] on any exercise the possibility of injury is there. It is like any endeavour which can injure to be mindful of what one is doing.

But it has been stated for older males a CF type workout with bodyweights or lighter weights than typical CF is more ideal due to natural declension of joints.(reduced load or stress bearing capability of ligaments, tendons, cartilage) Maybe women too but I am a guy and focus on my health.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-24-2015 at 01:13 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 01:16 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
CrossFit certainly has its' merits but I don't find it particularly useful. I focus on strength training(deadlift, squat, bench, military press), martial arts and flexibility training. I also do various calisthenics and cycling. Training in martial art disciplines is far superior to CF training.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:32 PM

339 posts, read 334,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Did you try thinking of CrossFit? I have never known a single CrossFitter who wasn't pretty seriously injured at one point or another, and many that I've known are constantly injured.
All practitioners of intense sports get hurt occasioanlly. But I believe you are exaggerating a bit.

CrossFit works, it has been proven, when little CrossFit girls that weigh 123 lbs. outdo Special Forces guys in bootcamp training exercises. LOL (As depicted in this book). Which is excellent, BTW. Anyone interested in CrossFit should read it.

http://cdn.roguefitness.com/media/ca...ire-web-h1.jpg

Old 02-24-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
CrossFit certainly has its' merits but I don't find it particularly useful. I focus on strength training(deadlift, squat, bench, military press), martial arts and flexibility training. I also do various calisthenics and cycling. Training in martial art disciplines is far superior to CF training.
LOL--how can you not find CrossFit useful. It helps in "real-world" conditioning.

What does a deadlift possibly do for you? Or a bench press for that matter? I mean insofar as functional fitness is concerned.

Or maybe you tried it and it was just too hard?

Here ya go...read this, bro.........

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brian-...b_5461759.html

Old 02-24-2015, 01:55 PM

743 posts, read 832,309 times
Quote:
All practitioners of intense sports get hurt occasioanlly. But I believe you are exaggerating a bit.

CrossFit works, it has been proven, when little CrossFit girls that weigh 123 lbs. outdo Special Forces guys in bootcamp training exercises. LOL (As depicted in this book). Which is excellent, BTW. Anyone interested in CrossFit should read it.

http://cdn.roguefitness.com/media/ca...ire-web-h1.jpg
Quote:
LOL--how can you not find CrossFit useful. It helps in "real-world" conditioning.

What does a deadlift possibly do for you? Or a bench press for that matter? I mean insofar as functional fitness is concerned.

CrossFit vs. Gym: Which Is Better?*|*Brian Horn
I can't take either post seriously when you both link the most biased sources possible to compliment your arguments.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:58 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:

CrossFit vs. Gym: Which Is Better?*|*Brian Horn
You are an obvious troll. I realize that now.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:58 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
I can't take either post seriously when you both link the most biased sources possible to compliment your arguments.
I second that. Well, I stopped taking him seriously when he lumped the deadlift in as an isolation exercise.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I second that. Well, I stopped taking him seriously when he lumped the deadlift in as an isolation exercise.

CrossFit refers to deadlift and all those other non-aerobic, standing-around; gym-based; weightlifting exercises as "isolation" exercises which cannot compare with CrossFit WOD's insofar as aiding to a person's overall fitness level, which should include cardio, endurance and flexibility.

Deadlift offers you zero help in ANY of those three areas. Now, crossfit, yes, does have some WOD's in which deadlift-type exercises are used, but they are only one portion of the WOD, which usually consists of at least three different exercises. Also: the deadlifts are to be done several times--as in CF's popular 21-15-9 format, thus using a lighter weight than a guy doing one-time max deadlifts in a gym, while he stands around adjusting his ipod in between lifts. Or fixing his bandana, or chugging form his one-gallon water bottle! LOL

I wonder how seriously you would take me if you came to my box and we did a WOD together? LOL Like maybe a "Murph."

Schmedes...I do CrossFit here (twice a week for three months now)......http://www.crossfitprescott.com/

Last edited by Der Vogel; 02-24-2015 at 05:01 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 05:05 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
Quote:
I wonder how seriously you would take me if you came to my box and we did a WOD together? LOL Like maybe a "Murph."
This is the other reason so many CrossFitters are so annoying . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness