Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:35 AM

8,847 posts, read 11,636,297 times

Advertisements

I don't have a link, but you should able to read this at the library or bookstore.

I have noticed that every time someone asks for dietary and exercise advice, protein drinks are always recommended.

Consumer Reports just did an investigation into the safety of 15 protein powders, and the results are scary. Many contain high level of toxic metals such as arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury.

I have long advocated caution when using supplements because there is no way for consumers to tell what they are putting in their body, as the supplement industry is not regulated and therefore not required to provide any proof to the FDA about the quality of the products.

In one post, I talked about "Ultimate Orange" I took years ago and gave me mini heart attacks and could potentially have killed me, as it had killed others, as an example of outright dangerous products. I also asked a question about products that can harm users overtime slowly. What do we know about these products? Now, thanks to this Consumer Reports investigation, I now know a little more about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 11:36 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,381,451 times
Bottom line, your body will tell you if its good for you or not. I've been taking them for 10 years and no problems at all.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 AM

8,847 posts, read 11,636,297 times
I suggest you at least read the Article first.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:19 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,117,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I don't have a link, but you should able to read this at the library or bookstore.

I have noticed that every time someone asks for dietary and exercise advice, protein drinks are always recommended.

Consumer Reports just did an investigation into the safety of 15 protein powders, and the results are scary. Many contain high level of toxic metals such as arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury.

I have long advocated caution when using supplements because there is no way for consumers to tell what they are putting in their body, as the supplement industry is not regulated and therefore not required to provide any proof to the FDA about the quality of the products.

In one post, I talked about "Ultimate Orange" I took years ago and gave me mini heart attacks and could potentially have killed me, as it had killed others, as an example of outright dangerous products. I also asked a question about products that can harm users overtime slowly. What do we know about these products? Now, thanks to this Consumer Reports investigation, I now know a little more about them.
Thanks for the information. I used to literally live on meal replacements 10 years ago (when I was always in the gym and actually in shape).

Old 05-29-2010, 02:25 AM

14,561 posts, read 22,957,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
It wasn't "many" of them. 3 of 15 products were over the recommended limit, and 2 of them were made by the same company, Muscle Milk, which is garbage anyway.

Consumer Reports on Protein Shakes - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Old 05-29-2010, 07:40 PM

345 posts, read 1,636,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Bottom line, your body will tell you if its good for you or not. I've been taking them for 10 years and no problems at all.

Botom line, if you have mercury or lead poisoning you won't know it for a long time after these metals have crossed the blood/brain barrier and done a considerable amount of damage.

Smugness is the first sign of a problem

What's wrong with eggs, chicken and beans ?

Old 05-31-2010, 12:46 PM

181 posts, read 597,069 times
Don't mean to sound arrogant, but BB.com dishes out SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH false information it's crazy. Don't get me wrong, a lot of guys there really know their stuff and are credible sources to go to for advice, but of the hundreds of thousands of people there, i would venture to say most don't have a clue.

Also, the guy said he found the article in a magazine. I'd bet my left nut after knocking all of the protein powders that the article tried to sell a "safe powder". All of those magazines are bull****- They advertise their products like hell and don't give a crap about the ****ty information in the articles.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:28 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,957,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
Don't mean to sound arrogant, but BB.com dishes out SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH false information it's crazy. Don't get me wrong, a lot of guys there really know their stuff and are credible sources to go to for advice, but of the hundreds of thousands of people there, i would venture to say most don't have a clue.
Oh believe me, you don't have to have to tell me about the raging morons that infest that forum. I just linked there because it's the only place I could find the story posted online at the time.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:08 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,381,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127 View Post
Botom line, if you have mercury or lead poisoning you won't know it for a long time after these metals have crossed the blood/brain barrier and done a considerable amount of damage.

Smugness is the first sign of a problem

What's wrong with eggs, chicken and beans ?
Just thought would let you know, just ordered another 1.3kg tub of protein powder.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:56 PM

345 posts, read 1,636,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Just thought would let you know, just ordered another 1.3kg tub of protein powder.

Don't care, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness