Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you run barefoot?
Yes 16 39.02%
No 25 60.98%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:55 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,928,219 times

Advertisements

Now that I think about it, I have ran barefoot but only at the beach sidewalk. Did that for about a mile. The next day my feet were so tender...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 11:58 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,506,167 times
the thing about running barefoot is probably that you'd have to condition your feet to be "tougher". Ever walk barefoot on hot asphalt? I have--but not very far! They'd have to be able to stand up to being poked by rough objects, the heat, etc. Heck, I get a pebble in my shoe, I know it--and it bugs me.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:58 AM

914 posts, read 1,801,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I would never run barefoot because I'm afraid of stepping on a small rock or glass.

(May 14) -- Barefoot Ken Bob Saxton might not be the fastest runner on the road, but he never has to stop to tie his shoes.

The California jogger is one of the leaders of the barefoot running movement, a small but growing niche of runners who say they feel better -- and healthier -- without their sneakers.

Barefoot Runners Knock the Socks Off Jogging World - AOL News

I just saw this yesterday and was ASTOUNDED; someone jogging around the streets of Boston with their little finger toes. Isn't that bad for your back with such weight of bare feet on concrete? Just sayin'. I would do it, but i'm scared it might hurt my back.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:20 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,490,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
I just saw this yesterday and was ASTOUNDED; someone jogging around the streets of Boston with their little finger toes. Isn't that bad for your back with such weight of bare feet on concrete? Just sayin'. I would do it, but i'm scared it might hurt my back.
A letter was just published in Nature measuring the collision forces of running barefoot versus running with shoes on. Collision forces were lower for barefoot running because runners were allowed to adopt different gait/running form. Running with shoes forced runners to heel-strike and lead to higher collision forces.

Access : Foot strike patterns and collision forces in habitually barefoot versus shod runners : Nature (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v463/n7280/full/nature08723.html - broken link)

Its almost as if you were supposed to run barefoot...

Old 05-17-2010, 12:56 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,462,874 times
Personally I don't think I ever would. I tried it before and my foot got all cut up due to the rocks and gravel around the sidewalk, must have gotten some teeny rock that messed up my foot.

I love my new running shoes, I feel like I'm on clouds when I run now, and my knees don't hurt anymore (they did with the wrong shoes). I feel energized when I'm done on the treadmill, so much so that I could just keep running right out the door lol.

More power to those people who DO run barefoot, I just like my comfort too much

Old 05-17-2010, 06:23 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,074,922 times
I used to run barefoot on the beach all the time.

I think most people need shoes for practical reasons/protection. Protection from glass and debris, protection from heat and cold, protection from motor oil and antifreeze and who-knows-what other nasty chemicals litter our roadways.

If I want to really run and feel the road, I just wear a pair of racing flats.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:50 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,415,617 times

Old 09-20-2010, 10:29 AM

647 posts, read 2,076,943 times
I've been running barefoot for quite a while. I often go 3-5 miles through the streets where I live with barefeet and I've never had an injury or problem yet.

Running barefoot causes you to stride and land differently, i.e. more on the middle to front of your foot rather than landing on the heels. When running barefooted, the force is absorbed by the calf muscles rather than the bones of the knee and shin that occurs in landing on the heels first.

I get questions all the time about, "what about stepping on rocks, glass, etc...." My answer to that is that I just step over or around any such objects. I used to have shin splints and knee pain when I ran in thick heeled, cushioned shoes. Since barefooting it, I've had no pains at all.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:07 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,314,878 times
This is totally inane. NEVER run without shoes because of the possibility of injuring your foot with random small objects. They may feel better but I'd rather not since I'd rather not get a tetanus shot every time I go running.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:54 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,630,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
A letter was just published in Nature measuring the collision forces of running barefoot versus running with shoes on. Collision forces were lower for barefoot running because runners were allowed to adopt different gait/running form. Running with shoes forced runners to heel-strike and lead to higher collision forces.

Access : Foot strike patterns and collision forces in habitually barefoot versus shod runners : Nature (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v463/n7280/full/nature08723.html - broken link)

Its almost as if you were supposed to run barefoot...
Ding ding ding!

I'm very interested in trying it, but will likely try on a treadmill to give myself a greater margin of error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness