Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:49 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
OK, I will go with low calorie, low fat, high fruit and veggies eating plan then!

My original goal was to lose 10 stubborn pounds of fat, much of it visibly concentrated in the belly area, in one month.

I will now give myself two months, not one, to lose the 10 lbs.

I will be careful about protein consumption as well. I want it to be sufficient for my exercise needs (including weight and resistance training).
You do NOT want high fruit. Its amazing at how many people think that fruit is a "free food". Most fruits are loaded LOADED in sugar so I say minimal fruits is what you should have.

You need the protein for your muscles, as you build stronger muscles, you will burn more calories even at rest, thus further reducing your body fat %.

What kind of physical shape/fitness level are you starting from? Can you run a mile? Two miles? Can you run/jog at all? Do you lift weights? Squats? Deadlifts? Can you do a pushup? Two months to lose ten pounds is definitely doable providing you are working out and eating correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 12:55 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I don't think it will hurt you, but what's the point?

You're better off eating whole fruit and drinking water.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:40 PM

199 posts, read 591,769 times
I've been eating a relatively low cal diet (by my standards anyway), but even with moderate exercise (45 min. of walking or cycling) a day, I still feel quite hungry at the end of the day.

That's why I don't want to, and can't really go any lower than 1500 cal/day.

I'd also like to increase lean mass: aren't you worried about losing lean mass only eating 1200 calories a day? Or, do you accept some small loss of lean mass over a short period of time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Wow. I wouldnt do it.

First of all, just as JustJulia said above, fruit juice is LOADED in sugar. I would advise anyone wanting to lose weight and/or get healthy to stay away from just about ALL fruit juice (only exception being maybe 6 oz of all natural grapefruit juice in the AM). Exactly how much juice are you drinking to get 800-1200 calories per day? That is a LOT.

Your 1500-2000 calorie eating is still pretty high. I consider myself an athlete and even I when cutting (losing weight/fat) eat only 1200-1500 cals per day AND STILL WORKOUT WITH WEIGHTS AND CARDIO during this time.

What exactly is your goal for this one day per week juice fasting? Weight loss? Detox? Im curious because it seems your plan doesnt really have a goal. Plus, I dont think its enough to achieve any of that.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:00 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times
First off, do you know how many calories you should be eating per day based on your height/weight?

Once you know that, you can do the math to design a diet that is approximately 500 calories lower. That would have you losing about 1 lb/week.

Second, if you are fighting hunger pangs, the juice fast probably isn't the way to go. You are getting hunger pang because your stomach is empty. Try food that are high in fiber. Fiber slows down passage rate of foods out of the stomach so you have the sensation of being full for a longer period of time. Drinking lots of water helps too.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:49 PM

87 posts, read 227,931 times
Quote:
I'd also like to increase lean mass: aren't you worried about losing lean mass only eating 1200 calories a day? Or, do you accept some small loss of lean mass over a short period of time?
no way you are gaining lean mass on less then 2k calories a day

you can spare all or most LBM on a 1200 calorie diet, depending on 3 things - 1) starting bf% level, which determines how long you can stay on the diet. the leaner you are, the more susceptible to LBM loss 2) protein intake 3)proper weight training, which should be 2 -3x full body and low volume because of inhibited recovery on such calories.

read the article below... since then, the author has actually changed his stance on maximum calorie deficit, as starvation study used did not include proper protein intake or weight training.. the deficit can be more then what he concludes at the end
Determining the Maximum Dietary Deficit for Fat Loss | Mind and Muscle (http://www.mindandmuscle.net/node/228?page=all - broken link)

Old 05-18-2010, 05:53 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
I dont worry about losing "lean mass" while on the cutting diet because the purpose of the cut is to lose body fat % not gaining muscle. It makes it much easier to gain muscle mass after the cut, plus, the definition is unbelievable.

Are you male or female? Just curious because you almost never find any guys wanting to go on a "juice fast", and you are now seem to be worried about lean mass.

I dont get how you want to increase mass but go on a juice fast. Sounds like you for one, really do not know what your goals are; and secondly, you have no knowledge at all about health/fitness.

Lets do this, so that we can figure out what you want and help you achieve your goals, please answer the following:

Are you male or female?
Height?
Current weight?
Goal weight?
Any health issues or physical ailments?
Do you have access to workout equipment and/or gym membership?
How much time are you willing to put into your health each day?

Old 05-18-2010, 06:23 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I don't drink juice either, and I too fail to see the purpose of this. What is the benefit of spending a day lying on your couch consuming liquid sugar? I don't get it.
ITA. Juice is awful and the worst part is that so many parents are giving it to their kids like water. If I'm going to ingest sugar, then I want to be able to bite into something.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:00 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
I've been eating a relatively low cal diet (by my standards anyway), but even with moderate exercise (45 min. of walking or cycling) a day, I still feel quite hungry at the end of the day.

That's why I don't want to, and can't really go any lower than 1500 cal/day.

I would bet you can do a better job of allocating the calories you take in, meaning, adjust the percentage of calories coming from protein, fats, sugars, carbs... I'm sure of it, that the way you eat could vastly improve with some help. Not all 1500 calories are created equal.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:01 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Wow. I wouldnt do it.

First of all, just as JustJulia said above, fruit juice is LOADED in sugar. I would advise anyone wanting to lose weight and/or get healthy to stay away from just about ALL fruit juice (only exception being maybe 6 oz of all natural grapefruit juice in the AM). Exactly how much juice are you drinking to get 800-1200 calories per day? That is a LOT.

Your 1500-2000 calorie eating is still pretty high. I consider myself an athlete and even I when cutting (losing weight/fat) eat only 1200-1500 cals per day AND STILL WORKOUT WITH WEIGHTS AND CARDIO during this time.

What exactly is your goal for this one day per week juice fasting? Weight loss? Detox? Im curious because it seems your plan doesnt really have a goal. Plus, I dont think its enough to achieve any of that.
Quoted for truth. Sounds like a bunch of snake oil to me.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:05 PM

199 posts, read 591,769 times
Man, I've been on a 1500-2000 cal a day eating plan the last 5 days, and while this is plenty enough, I'm getting cravings to eat more.

I'm noticing the fast food restaurants every time I go for a drive. I'm not sure how long I can hold out!

And it's not like I was super-happy eating fast food anyway. I just seem to have some unconscious association between junk food and "good times."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness