Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 02:05 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,559,342 times

Advertisements

Many years ago a TV show made a strong impression on me. It was 20/20 or a similar type show. They went to a 20-year high school reunion. It was quite shocking to see how old/young the classmates looked compared to each other. A few looked like they could be their own parents. An aging expert on the show took surveys of them all.

As expected, the people who were overweight, smoked, drank regularly, didn't exercise, worked outside looked the oldest.

It was interesting to see how their attitudes and personalities affected their appearance. The ones who were full of energy and happy looked younger than the ones who were worn out and world weary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 04:45 PM

551 posts, read 343,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Many years ago a TV show made a strong impression on me. It was 20/20 or a similar type show. They went to a 20-year high school reunion. It was quite shocking to see how old/young the classmates looked compared to each other. A few looked like they could be their own parents. An aging expert on the show took surveys of them all.

As expected, the people who were overweight, smoked, drank regularly, didn't exercise, worked outside looked the oldest.

It was interesting to see how their attitudes and personalities affected their appearance. The ones who were full of energy and happy looked younger than the ones who were worn out and world weary.
Keeping a joyful spirit and positive attitude makes a person radiate

Old 05-03-2021, 12:24 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,757,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
Do people guess your age correctly? Approximately anyway: say, plus or minus 3 years of your actual chronological age?

Second, for those of you who often get others to guess you are younger than your chronological age, what are you doing right to get people to guess younger?
No. Never does anyone come close to guessing my actual age. Since my mid to latter adult life, most think I'm about fifteen years younger than I actually am. This has changed recently because I'm now retired and people assume those who are retired are of a certain age. Recently, several have been "shocked" to learn that I will turn 70 this summer, (they thought I was around 60).

Why? Certainly genetics have something to do with it. Also a physically active lifestyle my whole life. Outdoor activities, especially bicycling. And, a youthful attitude. People just don't believe that 'old geezers' will go out for a 100 mile bike ride.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 05-03-2021 at 12:46 PM..

Old 05-03-2021, 01:05 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,003 times
Keeping a youthful attitude is so important.

I do agree about not bringing attention to age.

Staying a positive, happy person looks good on everyone.

Old 05-03-2021, 05:39 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,641,987 times
The ones who guessed, I could tell they purposely guessed a lower age because no one wants to hear that they look older.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:11 PM

6 posts, read 1,958 times
I'm in my early twenties, and most people still think I'm a teenager. I went on a dating website and got suspended for 2 days because they thought I was underage. I asked to be unbanned, and they eventually did. Liqour stores have to card me because they think I'm an 18 or 19 year old kid trying to buy alchohol. People think I'm around 15-19 and someone once told me I sounded like I was 14 At one hand of this issue, I'm flattered. On the other hand, I'm confused. I wear glasses, hunch, and am kinda chunky (not obese, but chunky).

Old 05-04-2021, 03:11 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,440,622 times
I work in an area that requires age designation. Under 21, go elsewhere.
Buying certain items will also get you declined. It's part of our state policy to curtail certain entities from harming themselves or others.
On a social level I may or may not comment or inquire. When Auntie May is asked she takes no offense. If they guess right or wrong she takes no offense. She says, well thank you, 79 works for me til I have my next birthday.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:19 PM

3,505 posts, read 761,223 times
i am the same age as my tongue but am 18 months older than my teeth ..i didnt have teeth in 1956 and i havent had teeth since 2009 .. tell me how old i am ..

Old 05-10-2021, 11:03 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,049 times
I would say I easily pass as late 20s to early 30s, and I’m 38. I get carded still which is weird and somewhat annoying but I guess flattering. So I won’t take total credit, part is genetics. I understand it’s just genetics but it’s completely baffling to me that anyone who isn’t like 60 could possibly be losing their hair, but 2 of my 3 friends have receding hair lines - one is 31! - and partial bald spots. My dad is 79, he has more hair than them both. Everyone in our family for that matter has no issues with their hair. When you have baldness in your 30s, it makes you look WAY older.

Besides that, I keep in great shape and very muscular. I’m far stronger than I was at 21, or 30, or 35. For whatever reason despite always pushing myself hard and doing the right things, I’ve continued gaining strength. I even took 2 years off alcohol and during that time, I didn’t gain any strength, I was at a plateau. I started drinking again here and there and within a year I was benching 12% more than I had ever done before. Makes no sense but it is what it is. A lot of guys my age have dad bods already and I have more of a peak college bod - I can bench similar reps at 225 to college QBs, wide receivers, etc. at the NFL combine but far fewer reps than running backs, linemen, etc. I also think another part is attire, because I work for myself and I’m buff, I just wear T-shirts and jeans everywhere. I don’t wear business attire ever for any reason, even if I had a client meeting, that’s normal for my industry so I don’t give it a second thought. The other piece when I’m out with my wife is she’s 27, but looks younger than that, like a few years ago she answered the door and a salesman asked if her parents were home ha ha! When people see us together then, they tend to give me the benefit of the doubt that I must also be around the same age, maybe a few years older.

The final part is maturity - if you want to seem young, you cannot have that. “You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever.” Words to live by! Ha ha just teasing, but I wouldn’t say I’ve changed much since I was 21. We are a childfree couple, I love swimming, playing video games, watching movies, and I don’t value or care about “acting adult” in the boring ways. The ways that matter are I run a company, I make lots of money, I support the people I care about, and I take responsibility for my actions. The ways I don’t care about are: not laughing at fart jokes, caring about offending people I don’t even know or care about, pretending to be sophisticated to blend in, pretending I care about things I don’t (whatever that might be, people do this because they think they’re supposed to), or subscribing to society’s values or ideals about anything - I make my own values, thank you very much.

My goal would be to be like Tom Cruise where when I’m like 55, I have the fitness of someone 35 and look like someone 40 years old.

Last edited by JonathanLB; 05-10-2021 at 11:12 PM..

Old 05-11-2021, 07:49 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,688,238 times
71 here and not a single person can hit it right...No gray hairs yet, just a few and a full set of it....all come at 60 yrs of age and below.

The gym during the week days,out and about on most weekends walking and more exercixes, great eating habits, a good Black Angus Rib Steak on my grill in the back yard once every other Month, Lots of Legumes and greens and Seafood.

Never smoked, No hard liquors, just like a Neighborhood Bar, wine and beer.

Retired at 62 and loving it ...

Last edited by Huasho; 05-11-2021 at 08:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness