Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 03:05 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,393,475 times

Advertisements

I have always been heavier then other women. Heavier but at the same size or even smaller. I never really understood it. Going by the BMI table I have always been either over weight or borderline.
Even when I was at the best shape of my life. At age 20 I could run at 8 miles an hour for an hour straight, do 40 + push-ups and still be borderline over weight. It just killed my spirit so many times.
I was so active. I weighted 148 ( almost overweight according to the BMI chart, and I wore a size 6! Hello! How could this be?

So I just stopped paying attention to those BMI calculators because they never represented me. But every time i was looking for health information and related stuff, this damn BMI chart kept popping up.

But just recently I found out that people with a bigger body frames are still able to weigh more then people with small or even medium body frame. After using this calculator
What You Should Weigh For Your Body Frame Size,
I found out that I am not 15 pounds away from my upper level acceptable weight, but more like 6 pounds away. Now that is to me a relief. It might sound trivial to some of you, but when you work so hard to look good and you finally can fit into that size 8, the last thing you want to hear is that you are still 15 pounds overweight.

Like I said. I have always been bigger. Bigger shoulder, bigger wrists, bigger elbows. My wrist measure 6.6 inches!

Im not saying that 159 pounds is my personal ideal weigh. I know I look fabulous at 150 pounds. So that's my target.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 06-01-2010 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 03:49 PM

550 posts, read 1,212,387 times
Whoever started using BMI to measure individuals should be tortured, strung to a wall and shot. This measurement has done nothing but confuse people who lack knowledge about how to measure their shape/body composition.

Average BMI can be used to measure weight-trends of populations etc, but when it comes to individuals it's increadibly clumsy and downright useless.

The test you did does take the frame into consideration while it leaves the relation between water, muscle and fat.

Last edited by Niceguy89; 06-01-2010 at 04:00 PM..

Old 06-01-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy89 View Post
Whoever started using BMI to measure individuals should be tortured, strung to a wall and shot. This measurement has done nothing but confuse people who lack knowledge about how to measure their shape/body composition.

Average BMI can be used to measure weight-trends of populations etc, but when it comes to individuals it's increadibly clumsy and downright useless.

The test you did does take the frame into consideration while it leaves the relation between water, muscle and fat.

Is there a calculator that measure it all?

Old 06-01-2010, 05:09 PM

there are scales that measure BF%, muscle% etc but they are unreliable, to get it done properly you need to go to some health center and they'll have different methods, but this costs.

a cheap way is to combine one of the above mentioned scales with measuring your hips, thighs etc etc. this will give something of a picture...

Otherwise the mirror is usually better than the scale at showing how good shape(esthetically) you're in...

Old 06-01-2010, 05:10 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,510,227 times
Well I'm the opposite of you. I'm tall, but have a very small frame. I wear a size 4.5/5 ring and my wrist is under five inches.

My weight is fine for my frame size, but people are always saying I'm too thin for my height when they hear my weight. Trust me, if I was 170 lbs like some people on this site think a tall girl should weigh...I'd be a beast.

The size of your frame has a lot to do w/ what is an acceptable weight for you, imo.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post

The size of your frame has a lot to do w/ what is an acceptable weight for you, imo.
Yes but frame to weight ratio is still just 3 variables (height, width, weight)
to make an accurate determination of bodyshape you need muscle% and BF% aswell.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Well I'm the opposite of you. I'm tall, but have a very small frame. I wear a size 4.5/5 ring and my wrist is under five inches.

My weight is fine for my frame size, but people are always saying I'm too thin for my height when they hear my weight. Trust me, if I was 170 lbs like some people on this site think a tall girl should weigh...I'd be a beast.

My best friend is 5'6 and she also have a very small frame. At 130 pounds she wore the same size as me at 150 pounds.
But I also have a lot more muscles then her.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:44 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,863,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy89 View Post
Yes but frame to weight ratio is still just 3 variables (height, width, weight)
to make an accurate determination of bodyshape you need muscle% and BF% aswell.
So true.

Merlot, if you REALLY want to know your true body fat % you'll need to find a place that does the water displacement test. If you dont do this, then just take an HONEST look in the mirror. Look straight on, then from the side, you'll know exactly if your body fat percentage is too high or not.

What I do is a "sit down belly test". This is where I sit down and if my stomach rolls over my belt/pants then Im too fat. Also, one my wife told me about is to lay down on a hard surface (nude preferably). She said that there should be an open space under the small of your back where you can pass a pencil/sharpie/marker or similar sized item. If there is no space to pass anything through, then your fat % is too high.

BMI is just plain doo doo. I wouldnt even use it for rough ballpark estimates because its super flawed.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:02 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,020,134 times
Let's not forget about muscle too. Everyone thinks I weigh 10 pounds less than I actually do. It's because of muscle.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:21 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,853,375 times
BMI has always been oversimplified and misused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness