Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 01:14 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times

Advertisements

Why eat and spend on something you don't have to? Why burden your kidneys if you don't have to? High protein diets are hard on the kidneys. If you don't have to kick up your protein grams, you shouldn't.

I think all you will find this podcast interesting:
http://www.phi-life.com/anabolic-slow-down/

It talks about the conflicting info out there on protein, the body's ability to use it, and bulking. It also cites some studies if you want to go read it and look it up. Its a 30 minute podcast by a gym rat and nutritionist. Anyone who just started training or has been training for years will find it interesting.

I believe in listening to everything and finding your own tweaks. Not just doing exactly what someone else tells you. I personally think that level or protein is fine, but I am young and I respond fast to exercise.Seriously listen to that podcast when you have the time to sit down. Its very interesting and talks about both our points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 02:10 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times
Default The holy grail

I have wrestled with the delicate balance of maintaining/gaining muscle while staying lean since I started caring about all this when I was 18 (17 years ago!). I was so convinced that jogging and long, sustained cardio was the key to staying lean...it wasn't until I started getting foot injuries from endurance training (I was in a distance running habit for a few years) and I was forced to be creative with the birth of my first child, from a time perspective, that I found the answer. Hill sprints. Two 30 minute sessions a week will keep you as lean as you need to be (assuming a somewhat good diet...I don't eat that well, honestly). Don't even worry about short recoveries, just sprint uphill for ~80 yards, then walk back down as slow as you need to to give 100% every time up. After 6-10 (don't do any more than 10), you will be destroyed. This type of training has been shown to increase natural HGH production and also keeps your metabolism cranking all day long (unlike low effort, long distance aerobic work). Just look at Olympic calibre sprinters!

Old 06-10-2010, 02:58 AM

550 posts, read 1,214,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I hate to call bull**** on someone who is actually a doctor, but that article was horrible. Her whole basis of telling people not to increase the protein intake is because some idiots take more in and expect it to be a miracle without putting the work in, and her comments on keto diets are pretty far off base.

The 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight is a very safe guideline that has held up over decades now.
This^^^ is so true.
And for every doctor and study that says you should eat only small ammounts of protein there is a hundred studies and training professionals that say 1 g/lb of bodyweight is a very good guideline. Besides whenever physical therapists and doctors speak about working out, they are always going after the assuption that the patient is working out for "pure health benefits" such as good heart rate and mobility rather than strengh/speed/performance or getting lean etc. For example a doctor told me that one should never do any lowreps when lifting, nor make hard cuts when running, both of which are absolutely necessary when training for my goals.

Fact is, that being a doctor does not make you know much about training for most goals, it simply usually means they passed medical school, and thus have a medical perspective, rather than a performance or aesthetic
perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
I have wrestled with the delicate balance of maintaining/gaining muscle while staying lean since I started caring about all this when I was 18 (17 years ago!). I was so convinced that jogging and long, sustained cardio was the key to staying lean...it wasn't until I started getting foot injuries from endurance training (I was in a distance running habit for a few years) and I was forced to be creative with the birth of my first child, from a time perspective, that I found the answer. Hill sprints. Two 30 minute sessions a week will keep you as lean as you need to be (assuming a somewhat good diet...I don't eat that well, honestly). Don't even worry about short recoveries, just sprint uphill for ~80 yards, then walk back down as slow as you need to to give 100% every time up. After 6-10 (don't do any more than 10), you will be destroyed. This type of training has been shown to increase natural HGH production and also keeps your metabolism cranking all day long (unlike low effort, long distance aerobic work). Just look at Olympic calibre sprinters!
What you describe is commonly known as "High Intensity interval training"(HIIT). This is great for most ends and purposes, and I'd advice anyone with any kind of cardio, weightloss or/and speed goal to google it and find out more about it. It does not explicitly have to be hill running, as long as you go 100% and really push yourself for short periods of time.

Think it's getting time to make thorough a thread on HIIT...

Last edited by Niceguy89; 06-10-2010 at 03:14 AM..

Old 06-10-2010, 07:46 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,216,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy89 View Post
For example a doctor told me that one should never do any lowreps when lifting, nor make hard cuts when running, both of which are absolutely necessary when training for my goals.

Fact is, that being a doctor does not make you know much about training for most goals, it simply usually means they passed medical school, and thus have a medical perspective, rather than a performance or aesthetic
perspective.
Doctors are so afraid of malpractice suits they won't give you any advice on weightlifting. "Lifting more than 20 lbs may cause injury." Anybody who has had a back injury regardless of size, fitness, or current ability is given that statement. It is a "knee jerk" reaction. If they give you good advice on lifting heavier weights and you injure yourself following that advice they could be sued.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:41 PM

548 posts, read 1,479,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
I guess my question is this: is it possible to BOTH put on lean mass AND to cut body fat at the same time? That would be ideal.
In the past two months, I've reduced my body fat by 7% and gained 4 lbs. of lean mass. It is possible to put on lean mass and cut body fat at the same time! I do wonder if continuing to lose weight will get in the way of my getting stronger though.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle77 View Post
In the past two months, I've reduced my body fat by 7% and gained 4 lbs. of lean mass. It is possible to put on lean mass and cut body fat at the same time! I do wonder if continuing to lose weight will get in the way of my getting stronger though.
At 7% bodyfat I wouldn't be worrying about weight. Reevaluate your health, fitness & appearance goals instead. Just a thought.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:44 PM

199 posts, read 591,561 times
The poster above stated that they had gone down 7% on body fat, not that they were at 7% body fat.

Anyway, my focus right now is on cutting. Both through increased exercise, but also through a smarter, healthier eating plan.

I'll be lifting weights along the way, but don't expect significant increases in lean mass for another month or two when I finish my cutting phase.

There's a lot more fat there than I had originally wanted to acknowledge, eh.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
The poster above stated that they had gone down 7% on body fat, not that they were at 7% body fat.

Anyway, my focus right now is on cutting. Both through increased exercise, but also through a smarter, healthier eating plan.

I'll be lifting weights along the way, but don't expect significant increases in lean mass for another month or two when I finish my cutting phase.

There's a lot more fat there than I had originally wanted to acknowledge, eh.
Sorry. My bad.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:48 PM

622 posts, read 3,112,427 times
I've lost 10 - 20 pounds of fat, from very roughly 20% bf down to 10% bf with no cardio at all. I just did 2 weight lifting workouts/week.

You don't need cardio unless your ideal weightloss caloric intake is very low. If it's under 1000 or 1200 calories, then you better keep it at 1200 and do some cardio. Other than that, just keep the calories low, and protein high(er), adjust your carbs and fats, with little to no cardio, like mentioned above.

No one should really lose muscle. That's why the 1g of protein is suggested. Some go higher to 1.5, depnding on goals. Be careful, however, some recommendations are for "1g...etc... for "LBM"... Not total bodyWEIGHT. One can weigh 250, with a lbm of 200 pounds. They just have 50 pounds of fat that doesn't need the protein. That person would need, in the above example, 1g X 200 pounds = 200 grams protein, not 250g for their total weight.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:53 PM

622 posts, read 3,112,427 times
The Ultimate Diet 2.0 lyle mcdonald

Try reading something like this^^^ Makes a lot of sense. See if you like it. This is what I'm doing now. While it's too early to tell, as I've been on it for two weeks, the other diet I just finished it has worked for me. This is just more advanced, and for leaner individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness