Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:04 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times

Advertisements

I saw this posted outside of a local gym here in Woodland Hills and it really got me thinking about fitness and exercise. I remember all those years of being the "skinny guy" even though I'd spend a lot of time at the gym "working out". My problem (probably the same as many people here) was that even though Id spend the time working out, I didnt really know what I was doing. Kinda thought that, "well, if I go to the gym every day, I'll see results". Nothing can be further from the truth.

It really just comes down to achieving "harmony" of:

Nutrition (NOT NOT NOT NOT DIET)
Cardio
Resistance (i.e., weight) training

Without these three elements, achieving ones fitness goals will be futile.

This is one of the reasons I really love the work the trainers do on The Biggest Loser tv show. It forces them to face and confront these three issues and they seem to have 100% success with these folks. I think Ive cried more watching this tv show than any other show in history because its just sooooooo cool to see these folks make the changes they oh so wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 10:37 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I saw this posted outside of a local gym here in Woodland Hills and it really got me thinking about fitness and exercise. I remember all those years of being the "skinny guy" even though I'd spend a lot of time at the gym "working out". My problem (probably the same as many people here) was that even though Id spend the time working out, I didnt really know what I was doing. Kinda thought that, "well, if I go to the gym every day, I'll see results". Nothing can be further from the truth.

Cardio

This is one of the reasons I really love the work the trainers do on The Biggest Loser tv show. It forces them to face and confront these three issues and they seem to have 100% success with these folks. I think Ive cried more watching this tv show than any other show in history because its just sooooooo cool to see these folks make the changes they oh so wanted.
Really? I find The Biggest Loser unbearably horrible to watch now. The early seasons features lots of exercising and real food tips. Now there is a lot of crying, a lot of drama, barely any actual workouts, and really bad product placement: "Let me explain to you how ziplock will help you reach your fitness goals..." and "Lets have some delicious sugar-free gum to help us control hunger."

I used to love the show, and now I really truly hate it.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:24 PM

199 posts, read 591,604 times
lol, those "trainers" are such comical sell outs it's not even funny.

Also, isn't it odd to look to a tv show for weight loss inspiration? You're sitting on your bum for two straight hours doing nothing!

Exercise instead of watching the show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
Really? I find The Biggest Loser unbearably horrible to watch now. The early seasons features lots of exercising and real food tips. Now there is a lot of crying, a lot of drama, barely any actual workouts, and really bad product placement: "Let me explain to you how ziplock will help you reach your fitness goals..." and "Lets have some delicious sugar-free gum to help us control hunger."

I used to love the show, and now I really truly hate it.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:32 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post

Also, isn't it odd to look to a tv show for weight loss inspiration? You're sitting on your bum for two straight hours doing nothing!

Exercise instead of watching the show!
I don't need weight loss inspiration, never have. Do I look like I need weight loss inspiration? I watch TV for entertainment. Why do you watch?

Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post

Also, isn't it odd to look to a tv show for weight loss inspiration?
Its not about the trainers. Its about the people on the show and their dramatic and outstanding achievements in weight loss. Many of them know that they are spiraling down a path that is leading them to diabetes, heart disease and DEATH so to see them lose the weight, achieve their health goals, and to see how emotional and happy they become is outstanding and inspiring enough to cause any normal person to get teary eyed.

As far as looking to a tv for weight loss inspiration I think you've got it wrong. But, I have to agree with what your buddy GrannyNancy said about understanding the message about the inspiration. Plus, as you said yourself, youre a relatively skinny guy who wants to gain weight and it new to health/fitness. You more than likely dont know what its like for those who are morbidly obese and how extremely difficult it is for them not only to lose weight but to just function in life. I know because Ive worked with many of them over the years. Its always AWESOME and extremely INSPIRING (also tugs on your heart strings) when someone reaches their health/weight loss goals.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:40 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
Quote:

Cardio

Ya missed one: FUN!

If people don't enjoy what they are doing, they don't tend to stick with it.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:29 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,550 times
Quote:

Cardio

Some folk's fitness goals are not realistic, at least not for themselves. If I had a fitness goal to run 10 kilometers in 35 minutes, I would not now, or ever attain that goal. It was always a fundamentally impossible goal. The reason is genetics. Same might be true for the person who wants to compete in a local body-building contest. We can aspire to do the best we can, but to some degree we are at the mercy of our genetic make-up.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Some folk's fitness goals are not realistic, at least not for themselves.
That may be true for some, but not for most. The problem is that people dont really know how to go about achieving those goals, or, they are just unable to make the personal changes necessary to make it happen.

Im talking about the average person who wants to lose or gain weight. Take for example some of those Biggest Loser contestants, most specifically the gal who won a couple seasons back Jessica.

Some people may have looked at her before photo and say she's "big boned", "large framed", "fat", or "not blessed with genes to ever be thin". But, with the HARMONY of Nutrition, Cardio and Resistance training. She's become A HOT SEXY gal. This is possible for great great great many people, so much more than the few who may not be able to.

Nutrition, Cardio and Resistance together WILL get you into shape.

Last edited by picmod; 01-09-2014 at 05:58 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 09:47 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Some people may have looked at her before photo and say she's "big boned", "large framed", "fat", or "not blessed with genes to ever be thin". But, with the HARMONY of Nutrition, Cardio and Resistance training. She's become A HOT SEXY gal. This is possible for great great great many people, so much more than the few who may not be able to.
The Biggest Loser is dramatic television, but it's a terrible example of healthy diet and weight loss. The contestants are away from home and family in a controlled environment where they're working out for hours a day with personal trainers and eating a restrictive diet; dropping a lot of weight in a short amount of time which most people would agree isn't healthy. Remove them from that environment and put them back in the outside world, and most of them aren't going to be able to maintain that level of diet and fitness.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Remove them from that environment and put them back in the outside world, and most of them aren't going to be able to maintain that level of diet and fitness.
I dont know whats going on with the other contestants who have appeared on the show, but this gal won season 6 and IS STILL QUITE THIN AND ATTRACTIVE. She's back in the "outside world" and is maintaining her level of fitness/health SO IT CAN BE DONE!!

I guess I should have also said that negative thinking/attitude of "I cant do it" or "Normal people cant do it" etc. will also lead to futile attempts at achieving weight loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness