Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Exotics and High-End Luxury Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 05:58 AM

4,287 posts, read 7,984,138 times

Advertisements

Watch out street racers, Dubai cops have Lamborghini - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 06:02 AM

10,567 posts, read 12,760,529 times
Yah I heard that report yesterday. It does not offer Dubai any real status - just more contempt for a city built on disposable Arab cash...I guess they need a Lamborghini to chase down the speeding German imports. So once the Lamborghini chase care pulls over a Porche for speeding do they get a 10 thousand dollar fine and sent on their merry way?

Old 04-12-2013, 07:16 AM

832 posts, read 2,509,310 times
I guess they justified it with this statistic (taken from article) :

"According to recent figures, 15% of traffic fines issued in Dubai are for driving at speeds in excess of 130 mph"

Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 AM

3,502 posts, read 7,737,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post

"According to recent figures, 15% of traffic fines issued in Dubai are for driving at speeds in excess of 130 mph"
Great so now instead of one reckless driver they have one reckless driver and a bunch of reckless police chasing the driver. Once you get into the 100 mph speeds, no driver is well trained enough to avoid much slower traffic and pedestrians. They should do what our police do, once pursue speeds exceed a certain speed the police pull back and let a police helicopter keep track of the reckless driver, when they stop the police move in and pounce. The money is far better spend of police helicopters then fast sports cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
So once the Lamborghini chase care pulls over a Porsche for speeding do they get a 10 thousand dollar fine and sent on their merry way?
The think the problem has more to do with all the royal wealth Dubai attracts. If your connected to a royal family, your pretty much above the law, they just pay the fine and they are on there merry way. If you got caught speeding in the United States, trying to outrun the police with your fast car, there is more involved than fines, your talking jail time. The problem wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't that many royals, in Saudi Arabia, the royal family is composed of 15,000 members. There are twenty royal family in the Middle East, if you a member of any one of them, you would have to commit a serious crime before you see any time behind bars.

Last edited by TechGromit; 04-12-2013 at 08:13 AM..

Old 04-12-2013, 08:03 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Yah I heard that report yesterday. It does not offer Dubai any real status - just more contempt for a city built on disposable Arab cash...I guess they need a Lamborghini to chase down the speeding German imports. So once the Lamborghini chase care pulls over a Porche for speeding do they get a 10 thousand dollar fine and sent on their merry way?
Racist much?
Later in the article, it says that Italy already uses them for cop cars.

10,567 posts, read 12,760,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post

Wow- that is fast. Seeing Dubai is so small I guess that their super rich like to get from one side of town to the other for lunch in a hurry?

2,341 posts, read 11,967,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Great so now instead of one reckless driver they have one reckless driver and a bunch of reckless police chasing the driver. Once you get into the 100 mph speeds, no driver is well trained enough to avoid much slower traffic and pedestrians. They should do what our police do, once pursue speeds exceed a certain speed the police pull back and let a police helicopter keep track of the reckless driver, when they stop the police move in and pounce. The money is far better spend of police helicopters then fast sports cars.
Exactly.

They bought this car because they wanted it, and had the money - not because it is practical in any way.

I got ten bucks says that they car is destroyed within a year.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:49 AM

5,994 posts, read 19,878,204 times
As far as I'm aware a helicopter costs a good bit more than $500k. It would also be more costly to get a pilot even with any additional police training taken into account.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:11 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,101,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
As far as I'm aware a helicopter costs a good bit more than $500k. It would also be more costly to get a pilot even with any additional police training taken into account.
Chasing in a helicopter is much safer to the public than vehicle pursuit - barring a chopper crash.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:27 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,878,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Chasing in a helicopter is much safer to the public than vehicle pursuit - barring a chopper crash.
Yeah but its not nearly as fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Exotics and High-End Luxury Brands