Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Exotics and High-End Luxury Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:14 PM

85 posts, read 317,158 times

Advertisements

Hi friends,

I hope everyone is doing well. I am located in Houston, TX, zip 77070.

I am seriously considering purchasing an USED LR2 Land Rover from an Auto Nation dealer here in the area. The details are:

Year: 2012
Mileage: 16.545

Carfax 1 owner

In good condition, no visible dents, damage, etc. Has passed an Auto Nation 125 point inspection (It is being sold an Auto Nation owned dealership)

It has all the features that come standard with the car as well as a HSE package. It is a black on black trim/interior.

Asking price at the dealership is $30,991 plus TTL.

Any idea if this is worth pursuing?

I can provide any additional information that you would like.

Thank you,
Andrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 10:24 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
There are better choices for a midsize SUV than a Land Rover. You can find SUVs that are faster, will tow more, and be more reliable, for less money.

A Land Rover would be one of my LAST choices for an SUV.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
I wouldn't. LR have atrocious resale value. In 5-6 years you'll be literally giving it away. Besides a LR2 new is what 36-37k? I also feel LR is a killer on service. And if its keeping in tradition with British cars its gonna be expensive to maintain. I would rather get a Grand Cherokee over a LR.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:46 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Don't walk run from this deal.
My gut tells me that your going to buy it anyways, so enjoy

Old 05-30-2014, 11:17 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
Why are you considering a Land Rover? What are your needs? Is this a status car?

If you have to buy it, have it inspected by another LR mechanic. The 120 point inspection means nothing.

I had a friend who bought a 2006 in 2008, CPO with warranty and maintenance coverage. It was back to the dealership at least once a month. There were some electronic issues that even the dealer could not figure. He got rid of it around 60K miles. I just feel these cars are a lot of headache for someone who wants to show it off to others.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:26 PM

Thank you for replies, much appreciated.

I think I will refrain from this deal...however...my fiancee, is looking for a mid/compact SUV that sits high up (don't ask me why, she feels it is more comfortable!)

Any thoughts on which model(s) to go for?

Excellent safety, comfortable and good value for money...

Any thoughts please?

Thank you!
Andrew

Old 05-31-2014, 12:22 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I would have her take a look at the Lexus RX and the Acura RDX if she wants a mid-size SUV with luxury appointments. The LR2 was a renamed Freelander, and that model was not without problems, so I would definitely say do not pay $30k for that vehicle. If she wants a non-luxury smaller SUV, she could get a new CR-V with leather and AWD for less than the used LR2.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-31-2014, 12:27 AM

I forgot to add that it is still under the original manufacturer's warranty.

There are ~34,000 miles or 36 months remaining on the manufacturer's warranty.

Thanks!
Andrew

Old 05-31-2014, 04:42 AM

414 posts, read 930,545 times
Negative. Land Rover/Range Rover is a cavernous money pit. People buy them as status symbols and to "keep up with the Joneses".

If you're even ASKING this question, it means that you aren't checking out reliability ratings (although after checking Consumer Reports on this vehicle, they actually don't have enough consumer feedback to even provide reliability data..BUT that might also tell you something right there about the LR2).

With so many solid choices in the SUV market, I'd steer clear of the Land Rover.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:01 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,971,758 times
All great advises and opinion above, but I jus want to add my .o2.

The one post about land rover and porsche SUVs compare to a Japanese SUV. Cost of ownership and reliability is like day and night.

The last time, I gave my advise on CD about cars I got barked at.
25 year old guy want to spend 55k on a bmw 528i. Not 535i or 550i. But a 528i
I said "don't do it". Man I got barked at.

So this time, I will say, "do it"

Out of all the cars in houston, you choose this?
That tells me, you are going after the status symbol, on a low level.

All land rovers/range rovers are money pits.
But if you re gonna spend that money and going for status symbol.
Find a used Range Rover Sport supercharged. Not HSE version. At least you would impress some people. And you ll have fun in it. It's in the 30s.
After you own it for about two years. Come back. Let us know. Your thoughts of ownership.
And don't forget the extended warranty. You ll need it.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Exotics and High-End Luxury Brands