Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2007, 09:56 AM

9 posts, read 30,997 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband, little boy and I are moving to Fairbanks in September. We're coming all the way from Kentucky, and I am relentlessly looking up facts, etc., about AK on the internet. However, ther are some things I'm not able to find out, and at the risk of sounding like a total dumb-ass, I'd love some help from you guys. I'm sure you are sick and tired of the same old questions over and over, but I'm at a wall and am in desperate need of some help over....
My husband's job will be at the airport, and I can't seem to figure out what neighborhood that is near, therefore, i can't really find an apartment or figure out which school to enroll our 6 year-old in.
I'm also haveng A LOT of trouble finding an apartment. We've found very few sites that offer any infor about what they have to offer and where they are...I'm in such a bad spot with so little time to fix it. I would really appreciate any advice about decent places to live, schools, stores...all the stuff that only locals could help me with.....thanks so much....
KAtie

Last edited by katiemr1; 07-02-2007 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Not fineshed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 10:15 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,523 times
Try starting here:Fairbanks Convention and Visitors Bureau
1-800-327-5774

just tell them you are relocating, they'll probably send you a visitors packet, and if you ask nicely, maybe even last Sunday's paper.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:58 AM

144 posts, read 744,255 times
Hi - I moved up here with my now 7yo boy two years ago! You can PM me if you'd like for additional info or whatever!
If he's working at the airport, I would say University Park gradeschool is going to be your best bet. Woodriver or Joy would also be a good choices. The other schools I have heard the best things out of are in the other direction - Pearl Creek for example. The tricky part is going to be getting an apartment in the school district, and if you are trying to get into a *good* school (like U-Park), it is very competitive and you just about have to be in the district. I would check the paper for apartments, then call and ask what district they are in. You probably noticed that the Borough took the district map down from the website which makes it very inconvenient!
Getting a temporary apt might be a nice way to go - a 30 day rental at any of the properties at Fountainhead would be fine (FOUNTAINHEAD HOTELS in Fairbanks, Alaska. ) until you take a look around and find an apt where you would be comfortable... but the school district thing is going to be difficult. The fountainhead apts are all fine, but I can't think of one that is in any of the districts I mentioned.
Private schools have a good rep. - have heard great things out of Fairhill and Immaculate Conception Sch.
Good Luck!

Old 07-03-2007, 01:03 AM

69 posts, read 321,003 times
Look for places off of Dale Rd. Thats right by the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks