Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 05:09 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times

Advertisements

What if thats snot possibe?

I guess you don't shake bare hands all that often up there either... BUT if it means keeping your fingers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 07:11 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,652,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
What if thats snot possibe?

I guess you don't shake bare hands all that often up there either... BUT if it means keeping your fingers.
Do a web search on "paradoxical undressing" before you assess statements here on what leads to that activity.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:43 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,056 times
I'm pretty sure Alyfaye isn't going to be living on the pack ice for months or eating raw caribou meat to stay warm.

I grew up in North Texas and moved up here last summer. I just spent five days in Fairbanks (and all the cold places on the way there and back) during their first real cold snap of the winter. It was 25-35 below most of the time we were in town, with almost no wind. There was a bit of a breeze yesterday morning, which was pretty miserable, but when it's calm, it's really not bad. You probably won't spend a lot of time standing around outside at those temps if you don't have to, and all I needed going to shops and friends' houses was typical winter stuff: long underwear (if it's too tight to be warm you're wearing the wrong size), a fleece sweater, a jacket, jeans, and winter boots. Mittens/gloves and a hat are nice too, but most of the time I didn't bother with a hat and just put my hands in my pockets if they were cold. About half the time I was going to or from the truck with my jacket unzipped and no hat. Definitely have good cold-weather gear in your vehicle in case of breakdowns or whatever, but you don't necessarily want to be dressed like the abominable snowman when you're out and about, because you'll be miserably hot when you're inside.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:10 PM

26 posts, read 52,601 times
Wow, thanks for the help guys! I will be in Fairbanks taking full advantage of the heated indoors and vehicles, so hopefully the frozen raw meat won't be necessary. But, I do have plans to visit some of those areas while I'm there. Hearing what you guys do (and don't do!) to keep warm really helped. I was so nervous about risking frostbite every time I step outside, but I feel a lot better now. And if I can manage I'm sure my dogs will be fine too. I'm getting really excited for this big move now!

I was talking to a friend who flew his dog to Texas from Mexico and had to wait until September because it was too hot. Does anyone know if this applies to cold temps as well if I wanted to fly my dogs in November? The difference from Texas to Fairbanks would be something like 70-80 degrees. I can't seem to find any info for different airlines.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:59 PM

Here's info from American and Alaska Airlines:

Traveling With Pets | American Airlines Pet Policy On AA.com

Alaska Airlines / Horizon Air Traveling with Pets

Old 12-20-2010, 05:38 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,261 times
[quote=tigre79;17073914]I'm pretty sure Alyfaye isn't going to be living on the pack ice for months or eating raw caribou meat to stay warm.

I grew up in North Texas and moved up here last summer. I just spent five days in Fairbanks (and all the cold places on the way there and back) during their first real cold snap of the winter. It was 25-35 below most of the time we were in town, with almost no wind. There was a bit of a breeze yesterday morning, which was pretty miserable, but when it's calm, it's really not bad. You probably won't spend a lot of time standing around outside at those temps if you don't have to, and all I needed going to shops and friends' houses was typical winter stuff: long underwear (if it's too tight to be warm you're wearing the wrong size), a fleece sweater, a jacket, jeans, and winter boots. Mittens/gloves and a hat are nice too, but most of the time I didn't bother with a hat and just put my hands in my pockets if they were cold. About half the time I was going to or from the truck with my jacket unzipped and no hat. Definitely have good cold-weather gear in your vehicle in case of breakdowns or whatever, but you don't necessarily want to be dressed like the abominable snowman when you're out and about, because you'll be miserably hot when you're inside.[/quote]

That is funny and so true about Fairbanks, people go out shopping in lightweight jackets even when it is -30. Most of us do not want to look like the abominable snowman! Gloves are good for opening metal car doors, so your fingers don't sting.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Ahh, I feel a little dumb. But thank you! My dogs are too big and they won't accept bulldogs or pit mixes, which is what one of my dogs is. That stinks! Not sure how I'm going to get them from Texas to Fairbanks :/

Old 12-20-2010, 06:36 PM

Alaska airlines seems to have much more reasonable restrictions. Has anyone ever flown a bully breed dog? I wasn't aware it was dangerous. Is it really something to be concerned about?

Old 12-20-2010, 06:48 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,725 times
Although it appears the Eskimos in the upper region of the arctic do it, it's usually a good idea to wear something other than cotton. Cotton holds moisture and takes a long time to dry.

The climate has changed since the pipeline days but there was a time when Texan's weren't very well received in Fairbanks. You may want to wait on wearing your ten gallon hat, cowboy boots and that big shiny belt buckle until you can see what's what.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyfaye View Post
Alaska airlines seems to have much more reasonable restrictions. Has anyone ever flown a bully breed dog? I wasn't aware it was dangerous. Is it really something to be concerned about?
They tend to have respiratory problems and don't heat or cool themselves as effectively as other dogs due to their short noses and mouths, so they're more likely to suffer from heat or cold stress than other breeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks