U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:49 PM

2,492 posts, read 4,002,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I'm guessing it's this?
Living to Tell the Story: Book Review ~ The Encounter

This Steve Arterburn is apparently some kind of preacher. Someone should probably inform him that plagiarism breaks one of the Big Ten.

I know, I know, "ghostwriting," but seriously. There's having someone put your dictated memoirs into book form or whatever, and then there's outright having someone else write the book.
This is extremely common. I have relatives in publishing and a lot of the books that are supposedly written by famous people are not really written by them at all. They a ghost written and then reviewed by the "author" to make sure it's at least close to factual. Then they are published under the "author's" name. Obviously, you would be more likely to buy a book authored by Bill Gates than by joe schmoe.

Not saying it's right. It's just a fact that a LOT of the books on the market are not really written by the "author".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 07:02 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,875,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post

It's just a fact that a LOT of the books on the market are not really written by the "author".
Just don't try and tell me the literary giant Dingy D. Dingbat didn't author every single word of every single sentence in every single page of her book.

Not gonna believe it.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:53 AM

4,045 posts, read 5,440,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
As an update on Mr. Pence's book he was asking assistance on from here on the Alaska Forum, he finished it this last fall.

I obtained a copy of it a few days ago and read it. For a guy that isn't from Alaska, he did a pretty good job of it. It's a pretty good read, took me an evening to go through it. He was writing it as a Ghost Writter for another Author, which makes no sense to me since Mr. Pence wrote it, but was still good to see a story base in Fairbanks.

The book is called "The Encounter", no idea where to get it, but I suppose on line?

Anyway, for those that helped out, it seems it was very worthwhile!
Did you help him out? Glad to hear it was done well! He never asked me for help. I was born in Fairbanks but most of my knowledge of the city has been from a consumer's perspective.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:26 PM

2,492 posts, read 4,002,234 times
Read reviews of the book. Is it a true story?

Old 12-30-2011, 01:45 PM

6,271 posts, read 8,038,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Did you help him out? Glad to hear it was done well! He never asked me for help. I was born in Fairbanks but most of my knowledge of the city has been from a consumer's perspective.

Yes, whenever I could. I assume others did as well.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:53 PM

6,271 posts, read 8,038,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Read reviews of the book. Is it a true story?
No, not the story persay, but the general events of two main events were married together and it make for a good read.

He wanted to make the book read so that locals would relate to the places in town, he did pretty good, but being the critic that I am, there was a few points I picked out that were borderline! But I'm not going to point them out, you got to read the book! LOL

Old 12-30-2011, 05:20 PM

3,786 posts, read 1,772,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
By the way, I don't actually remember when James Michener came up to do research on his book "Alaska", but I remember hearing stories of it. One in particular about how Mary Cary cussed him out because she thought it was a friend of hers making a prank call, and it really was him. Anyway, it's my understanding that quite a few locals were happy to talk with him and I highly doubt anyone asked for payment. Those kind of people typify Alaska much more than some bitter ex cop who trolls the internet looking for people to take his anger at the world out on.
I read that novel.. Great novel once it got going but the beginning was a little slow.. Toni the tiger and Millie the Mastodon for the first couple of chapters was well.. It was necessary but not that many chapters worth :-)

Sorry, I digress back to your regularly scheduled novel writing.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:36 PM

8 posts, read 4,071 times
Default Thanks, everyone!

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to drop in and say "thanks" for helping me with the book. I tried to do this a few months back, but I couldn't find the original thread (and I hadn't left any bread crumbs behind). When Mark posted yesterday, it triggered an e-mail notification, and I was able to find my way back here.

Yes, the book is finished and was released on November 5th (The Encounter - Stephen Arterburn). And, as you've noticed, it was a ghostwriting gig. That felt kind of strange, particularly when I got my copies and saw someone else's name on the cover. But I can't complain. The publisher was good to work with and I knew going in that I wouldn't get cover credit. Steve Arterburn did acknowledge my contribution near the end of the book.

It was a fun (and challenging) book to write. I was given two true incidents from Steve's life and asked to build a novella around them. One of the incidents actually happened in Fairbanks, which is why he wanted that to be the book's setting.

I hate it when a novel references a real place but the details are all wrong, so it was very important to me for the setting to be authentic, which is why I came here for help. As Mark mentioned, there are some mistakes--no, I won't tell you what they are, either--but hopefully they are minimal. So, again, thank you!

As I said in my first post on this thread, a trip to Alaska is definitely on my bucket list, and researching this book just confirmed that I want to come up there for a visit. And after 72 days of 100+ degree temps this summer here in North Texas, I'm hoping that will be sooner than later.

If you have any questions about the book or the writing and publishing process, shoot them my way and I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks again,
James H. (Jim) Pence

Old 12-30-2011, 05:42 PM

4,045 posts, read 5,440,432 times
You would love summer around Fairbanks, it's nice and warm with plenty of wild flowers and long hours of daylight. Bring bug spray!

Old 12-30-2011, 10:13 PM

8 posts, read 4,071 times
That would definitely beat the summer weather here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks