Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 07:49 AM

370 posts, read 882,730 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

So, after being in h o t Texas for 4 years I am transferring to Fairbanks in the early part of December, (this upcoming December.)

So, my car is currently a Texas city car and won't be coming with me. Now, I have no warm clothes as the weather here is record breaking triple digits and I've acclimated so much that I need a sweater when it is at 80. Ha.

I am sure it will be good but, I definately need some advice!

I will need to purchase a vehicle when I get there asap and will need to know what sort of warm weather gear I will need so that I can step off the plane!

Thank you very much,
Gen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 09:55 AM

863 posts, read 2,078,082 times
Well, it will be a shock to the system to be sure... On the other hand, you'll probably build it up in your head to be a desperately inhospitable arctic wasteland. Many people who visit in winter comment that it's "not as bad as they thought."

Anyway, about cars. Although there are a lot of 4wd pickups and SUVs here, many people drive perfectly normal cars, just with a few necessary mods, such as a block heater. I get away driving a rear wheel drive pickup (with studded tires), but most say I'm crazy, and I honestly don't recommend it. Front wheel drive cars do fine though, particularly with snow tires, as long as you don't have a steep driveway. So, if you have a reliable car that you like, think twice about getting rid of it.

As for clothing, you probably won't be spending more than 10 minutes outside at any given time your first few days in FBX in winter. So getting off the plane, you should probably have long underwear under normal pants, decent closed toe shoes/boots, a couple sweaters or one fairly heavy jacket, form fitting gloves that you can actually do stuff in (mittens are more for extended outdoor activities), and a warm hat. More clothing of course will be needed to be out of a heated environment for more than 10 minutes, but this should probably be bought up here, with local advice. If you end up driving up, that sortof a different story. You still don't need a mountain of clothes, but bring lots of blankets or a very warm sleeping bag in case of breakdowns.

Good luck! Getting off the plane from Texas right before winter solstice will be an adventure, as long as you can stay positive and see it that way.

Oh, and moving in winter sucks. Be prepared for significant discomfort...

Old 09-22-2011, 10:59 AM

455 posts, read 743,728 times
Heathen's right on. I would agree that a regular ol' front wheel drive car will do you just fine. I'm not sure what a "Texas city car" is but you can throw a winter package on most cars.

I'd ease your way into the clothing situation. Come prepared with layers and then after awhile you'll have a better idea what you need an can drop by WalMart, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc. to expand your wardrobe.

It's going to be very cold--but as Heathen said it's not that bad. You'll get used to it quickly. It is, in fact, very dry and not as penetrating as you might imagine. The cold tends to "burn the skin" but not get "down deep" I guess is the best way to describe it.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:13 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
Just bring some warm layered clothes. If you have some fleece jackets and a windbreaker over the top along with a warm hat it will get you from the house to the car OK. It will do a lot better than that except for when it's REALLY cold.

If you are an outdoor person you will need to pick up some good winter clothing when you get here...you will pay through the nose for it, but at least it will be the right stuff if you go into the outdoor stores and tell them what you want to do.

I like to have super warm clothes so that I can go outside at -50, lay in the snow and be comfortable. It almost never gets that cold here in Palmer but I still have that cold weather gear and carry it in my car in the winter.

Craigslist sometimes has some warm stuff...here is one new heavy-duty goose down parka, tan (http://anchorage.craigslist.org/clo/2602697823.html - broken link)

Old 09-22-2011, 11:15 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
I would get some basic warm clothes to get by, when you are here there is places you can buy the right Arctic gear. Buying something warm in the states may only work as a first layer at -50.

Should be and adventure for you!

Lots of winterized used cars for sale, or a dealer will sell you a new one that is as well!

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
Well, it will be a shock to the system to be sure... On the other hand, you'll probably build it up in your head to be a desperately inhospitable arctic wasteland. Many people who visit in winter comment that it's "not as bad as they thought."

Anyway, about cars. Although there are a lot of 4wd pickups and SUVs here, many people drive perfectly normal cars, just with a few necessary mods, such as a block heater. I get away driving a rear wheel drive pickup (with studded tires), but most say I'm crazy, and I honestly don't recommend it. Front wheel drive cars do fine though, particularly with snow tires, as long as you don't have a steep driveway. So, if you have a reliable car that you like, think twice about getting rid of it.
...Oh, and moving in winter sucks. Be prepared for significant discomfort...
Hello,
Thank you for replying...I'm pretty sure I will need another car. I have a 96 geo metro with 160K miles on it and it is dubious to make the drive from Texas to Fairbanks in mid Dec.

I am glad to read you and will definately try to find a more normal car that is made safe for Fairbanks, but, I will want to find it in Fairbanks.

Gen-I'd say more but, I am about to have some lunch just now!

Old 09-23-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Just bring some warm layered clothes. If you have some fleece jackets and a windbreaker over the top along with a warm hat it will get you from the house to the car OK. It will do a lot better than that except for when it's REALLY cold.

....Craigslist sometimes has some warm stuff...here is one new heavy-duty goose down parka, tan (http://anchorage.craigslist.org/clo/2602697823.html - broken link)
Hi all,

I think I wasn't clear enough.

I have no sweaters, no fleece, no jacket, barely a windbreaker, layers is relative...

I know in Chicago when it was cold out I needed more than just layers, I needed a quilted windbreaker pant over my pants and I had more than just a jacket I had three layers worth of jackets but, that feels like a million years ago. Wait! I do have "a" cotton sweatshirt.

See, 'good boots' is relative too because well, there is a wide variety among boots. Remember I was trying to be clear that I have nothing now and need a sweater-shirt when it is down to 80.
Thanks!
p.s. I have not driven in snow in abotu 5 years and I've heard that the ALCON is not just a ride down the road so I am starting to suspect that y'all don't get what I am trying to ask.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:40 PM

863 posts, read 2,078,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
p.s. I have not driven in snow in abotu 5 years and I've heard that the ALCON is not just a ride down the road so I am starting to suspect that y'all don't get what I am trying to ask.
Hmmm, no not really. I think you'll find that most Alaskans are pretty laid back when talking about the challenges - and even dangers - of living and traveling here. I think everybody would recognize that this'll all be really new and strange for you (like it was for most of us at some point), but we like to assume that people have good heads on their shoulders and can recognize and solve problems as they come up. Is it a good idea to hop in your Geo and cruise on up the Alcan in December? Well maybe, maybe not. If you'll get all bent out of shape when you find it's not at all like driving on a southern interstate, then probably not. If you recognize that you'll have to get it winterized (best to wait till you're in the upper midwest, where mechanics have experience with that sort of thing), that it's not really safe to do much night driving, that the days in December are very short, that you need to allow lots of extra time for slow driving, snow storms, and possibly extreme cold, that you need to be self reliant and have enough survival gear for a night out in extreme cold, then yeah driving up the Alcan in December can be perfectly reasonable. I've done it in February, and it was no big deal.

Yes the clothes I mentioned are what you should buy BEFORE getting on the plane. You'll want more once you're here.

If you want to get a new car, they're MUCH cheaper in the lower-48. Some people up here in fact fly out, and drive a new car back up, though the economics of that don't usually quite add up. Selling your car outside and planning to buy a new one in Fairbanks doesn't make a lot of sense though.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:21 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Hi all,

I think I wasn't clear enough.

I have no sweaters, no fleece, no jacket, barely a windbreaker, layers is relative...

I know in Chicago when it was cold out I needed more than just layers, I needed a quilted windbreaker pant over my pants and I had more than just a jacket I had three layers worth of jackets but, that feels like a million years ago. Wait! I do have "a" cotton sweatshirt.

See, 'good boots' is relative too because well, there is a wide variety among boots. Remember I was trying to be clear that I have nothing now and need a sweater-shirt when it is down to 80.
Thanks!
Socks will be important... cabelas or outdoor stores like gander mountain is where I find mine for cold weather. Carhart is finally making women size socks and a blend of wool with a poly propalene for a liner is great for cold... boots you might want to buy in Fairbanks because I'm sure artic weather needs a special kind of boot.... I believe people know what you're asking...

Old 09-23-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
Socks will be important... cabelas or outdoor stores like gander mountain is where I find mine for cold weather. Carhart is finally making women size socks and a blend of wool with a poly propalene for a liner is great for cold... boots you might want to buy in Fairbanks because I'm sure artic weather needs a special kind of boot.... I believe people know what you're asking...
Ah! Good Idea. Good grief, I really had nothing and was not planning or even thinking of this 5 days ago.

This is sudden and I am unprepared.

I had these awesome boots in Chicago, (waterproof, superwarm to like -40 below...wish I'd have kept all my warm clothes!)

Gen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks