U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-01-2011, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 833 times
Default Driving advice needed! Driving from Fairbanks to Illinois in Feb

I was wondering if anyone has made the drive from Alaska to the lower 48 during Feb? I am going to be driving with a 2 year old, cats, a dog and me and my husband. We are looking at getting a new vehicle to make the drive in and want to know what vehicles are good for the drive. Also who has driven with animals and knows the policy for taking animals across the Canadian boarder. Has anyone done it in a FWD truck and if so how did it do? Any information that can be provided for me would be GREATLY appreciated. TIA
Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-01-2011, 03:36 PM

842 posts, read 1,964,854 times
I don't think I have ever seen a FWD truck. As for animals you need to look the current requirements online as they change. But for starters you are going to need health certs. from a vet and shot records.

Dont forget about passports for you and your family as well.

As for the drive make sure you have at least 20 gal of extra fuel with you. A lot of the fuel stops in the milepost are not open in the winter. Speaking of milepost make sure you get one. It tells you every hill, bump, corner, and place to stop that you will need. Walmart sells them in both the book and Alaska section.

Back to your vehicle tire chains or studed tires are going to be helpfull.

Unread 10-01-2011, 04:59 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,889,514 times
Can't advise on animals. If you have EVER had a conflict with the law esp dui you will not be able to cross Canada.

If you are getting a vehicle you may as well get a 4WD head and shoulders above the competition. You must make reservations. Temperatures can be -60 degrees and below with wind chill. Monitor weather conditions closely and ask where you stay they typically will know. I am sure Warpt will post a couple links for driving conditions. Carry a sat phone for your trip. Hypothermic emergencies can happen in 15 minutes. I have made this trip several times Nov-February.

Be prepared. Don't compromise on safety. That said, it can be an amazing trip.

Unread 10-01-2011, 05:10 PM

395 posts, read 247,063 times
You are going to need health certificates from your vet. They need to be done within 30 days of crossing both borders. I might be mixing it up, but I don't think Canada needs them. They only need the rabies certificate. The US wants to see the health certs (which include the rabies info). The reason I might be mixing it up is because neither country checked my dogs when I drove up last month. I guess when you show up with an organized file, they don't worry as much? The guy at the Alaska border only asked if they had all of their shots.

And yes, you and your husband definitely need passports. As of now, all you need is your child's birth certificate, though it wouldn't hurt to get him a passport too.

It is a fabulous drive! Though I haven't done in the winter. The people here really know what they are talking about when it comes to being prepared for it.

Unread 10-01-2011, 05:12 PM

7,020 posts, read 6,063,154 times
few sites for you to read about crossing into Canada....

How to Drive to Alaska in the Winter - ExploreNorth

http://www.city-data.com/gas/gas.php

Passport Requirements at the Canada Border - Do Americans Need a Passport to Visit Canada?

Unread 10-02-2011, 01:34 PM

6,248 posts, read 7,030,037 times
Well if you've been driving in Fairbanks for a few years, your vehicle is already set up for cold weather and I doubt you will hit much colder than Fairbanks gets.

The pet stuff was addressed above so your going from Arctic weather to warmer so I really doubt you have much to worry about except fill up the tank when you hit half, or at least start looking to!

Enjoy your trip and relax, I love the winter drives both ways!

Oh, putting some good Aux. driving lights that shine way down the road are worth every penny!

Unread 10-05-2011, 05:45 PM

8,710 posts, read 19,134,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife531 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has made the drive from Alaska to the lower 48 during Feb? I am going to be driving with a 2 year old, cats, a dog and me and my husband. We are looking at getting a new vehicle to make the drive in and want to know what vehicles are good for the drive. Also who has driven with animals and knows the policy for taking animals across the Canadian boarder. Has anyone done it in a FWD truck and if so how did it do? Any information that can be provided for me would be GREATLY appreciated. TIA
Honestly, the best vehicle for this trip is a jetliner. Failing that, at least use the ferry to get around Canada.

This is what I call a "Lemming Run" - why do you need to do this trip in February?!

Unread 10-05-2011, 06:12 PM

5,071 posts, read 6,183,449 times
I've driven it in Feb. and March. No problems other then not driving the "Alcan" portion after dark. Not even a need to carry extra gas. Just be prepared for the cold. I'd probably lose the cats. Maybe leave them with a neighbor or somethin'.

Unread 10-05-2011, 06:13 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,122,491 times
Thank you... I love these links..

Unread 10-06-2011, 11:54 AM

20,876 posts, read 20,351,635 times
I've never carried extra gas in my truck. Just fuel up whenever it hits a half tank no matter where you are. There are many places open year round. Like Stiffler said, don't drive at night, especially between Watson Lake and Fort Nelson. There are two stops open between the two that have gas available: Liard River Lodge and Toad River Lodge. Between Fort Nelson and Fort St. John you have Buckinghorse Lodge and Wonowon. From there everything is open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks