Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 07:39 AM

370 posts, read 878,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
$600 to $800 per month? I have heard the $200 to $300 number thrown around bout not $600 to $800.
Hi,

Oh yeah, when I first read that in another post on another thread it motivated me even more to find a place to rent with utilities included.

Very grateful for information on this forum, (that is, when you get to it!)

Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 12:56 PM

20,256 posts, read 36,954,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Hi,

Oh yeah, when I first read that in another post on another thread it motivated me even more to find a place to rent with utilities included.

Very grateful for information on this forum, (that is, when you get to it!)

Jen
$600 to $800 per month would be for heating one's home of a size around 1,700 square feet of living space, plus a garage (if you can keep the thermostats in the house perhaps at 67 degrees or so). If the house's insulation is not good, then you end-up paying a lot more than that. All depends on how expensive heating fuel is.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:32 PM

355 posts, read 504,871 times
I have also heard that keeping a pot if boiling water in the stove helps keep the house warmer and keep the humidity up. Does this allow mold to grow is that a lower 48 problem not as prevalent in AK?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL2AK4job View Post
I have also heard that keeping a pot if boiling water in the stove helps keep the house warmer and keep the humidity up. Does this allow mold to grow is that a lower 48 problem not as prevalent in AK?
That's a good idea only if you use a wood stove in addition to the boiler that heats the house. The air is naturally dry during the winter months, but inside the home it's not too dry, unless you use a wood stove. The heat from the stove dries the air, therefore having a pot of water boiling returns moisture to the air. But don't forget to turn the stove off when you go to bed

Old 10-16-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That's a good idea only if you use a wood stove in addition to the boiler that heats the house. The air is naturally dry during the winter months, but inside the home it's not too dry, unless you use a wood stove. The heat from the stove dries the air, therefore having a pot of water boiling returns moisture to the air. But don't forget to turn the stove off when you go to bed
Yea that is the absolute wost part of winter for me is the dry air! Even where i am now i have to have a pot boiling or a room humidifier going to keep my nose from getting cracked and bloody, or my skin from chapping like crazy!

Where i live now is similar weather conditions being hot (not uncommon to reach 105+ with 85%+ humidity) but not nearly as cold in the winter (lows around 0 with less than 15% humidity) so the "type" of weather is not going to be the shock,it will be the loss of around 20-30° averages! Wich really excites me in some "abnormal way" according to most of my friends. They just dont see the beauty in the summers up in AK they all focus on the "its dark all the time and 40 below!"they totally miss out on the midnight fishing and other outdoor activities in the summer! Wich is a huge bonus in my book!

Old 10-16-2011, 10:20 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,808,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
And heck, I get light-headed when I go into one of those awful Fred Myers stores in town. I'd much rather have a smaller store where I can find things and not battle the crowds.
lol, yeah, I have to psych myself up before I go shopping in Fairbanks or Anchorage. Prior to moving to Alaska I'd spent most of my adult life in major cities, but nowadays I'm not used to seeing more than a dozen people in one place at one time, and Fred Meyer's/Safeway/Walmart/etc. is kind of a sensory overload.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:53 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,849,059 times
It's especially bad at Fred Meyers West. They've been remodeling for at least two years, and in some spots you can hardly push a cart, like around the book and women's clothes sections.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
lol, yeah, I have to psych myself up before I go shopping in Fairbanks or Anchorage. Prior to moving to Alaska I'd spent most of my adult life in major cities, but nowadays I'm not used to seeing more than a dozen people in one place at one time, and Fred Meyer's/Safeway/Walmart/etc. is kind of a sensory overload.
Yea i have aleays lived in a small town 800 people to be exact. However i work in a major city which somewhat makes me a bit nervous about walking around on my lunch break! When i first got the job it was culture shock because i have never spent any amount of time in the city before. Apparently it makes one more "cultured" to spend time in the city.. however i prefer the small town feel and the more "laid back" life it provides.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL2AK4job View Post
Yea that is the absolute wost part of winter for me is the dry air! Even where i am now i have to have a pot boiling or a room humidifier going to keep my nose from getting cracked and bloody, or my skin from chapping like crazy!

Where i live now is similar weather conditions being hot (not uncommon to reach 105+ with 85%+ humidity) but not nearly as cold in the winter (lows around 0 with less than 15% humidity) so the "type" of weather is not going to be the shock,it will be the loss of around 20-30° averages! Wich really excites me in some "abnormal way" according to most of my friends. They just dont see the beauty in the summers up in AK they all focus on the "its dark all the time and 40 below!"they totally miss out on the midnight fishing and other outdoor activities in the summer! Wich is a huge bonus in my book!
Yes, we have a lot of things going on during the winter. For example dogsled races such as the Yukon Quest, right here through Fairbanks and North Pole, plus a lot of other smaller races through the winter, the Arctic Man at Summit Lake, the Chatanika Outhouse Race, ice fishing at numerous locations, etc.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:20 AM

Yea i have seen clips of arctic man on tv and I also enjoy ice fishing.

Most people in the lower 48 (atleast those i have talked to) believe that Alaska shuts down in the winter because of the extreme cold. Im sure some people do but it seems from what i have seen on tv and read here as well as elsewhere, that Alaska, at least to some extent, (pardon the pun) "fires up" during the winter months
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks