U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:30 AM

933 posts, read 1,520,919 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm a fountain pen user and collector. Are there any shops in Fairbanks that sell fine pens, ink, paper and paraphernalia? All these things can be purchased online, with better savings than buying at a brick-and-mortar store, but I would like to support local businesses as much as possible. Thanks

Old 11-27-2011, 09:46 AM

4,321 posts, read 3,215,232 times
Forget it! Stick with online. I'm also a collector of very fine expensive Calligraphy type pens such as Pelican.

Anchorage has a place called Blaines which is adequate for all of that, but in Fairbanks I'm not too sure what is available at all.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:39 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,115,981 times
Actually there is a wonderful one! It's called If Only. It's run by my former boss who was the ED of the Adult Learning Programs of Alaska. I'll look for their webpage.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:42 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,115,981 times
Yes most of us prefer to shop local when possible.
If Only

Beauty, quality, style, and cost are all important factors to us as we choose our pens and ink. We like to write with a pen that feels good in our hands and is pleasing to the eye. From titanium to lacquers, acrylics and leather, we have the color and style to fit your lifestyle. We feature quality pens in a huge price range from the precision-made functional Lamy, to the nature mosaics of Libelle and the ultra-rich resin colors of Recife and Jean Pierre Lepine. We carry Italian made Aurora pens as well as Monteverde, Noodler’s, Laban, and Retro 51. Italian and German hand blown glass pens excite and delight pen enthusiasts who enjoy calligraphy and lettering or just want the feel of laying a line of wet ink onto paper.

Fountain pen ink, calligraphy and drawing ink come in rich colors to express subtleties in mood and passion. We carry Herbin, Lamy and Aurora ink in bottles and cartridges, and Noodler’s Ink, Aladine and Private Reserve in bottles. We carry a variety of papers to compliment our inks and pens. (See Journals section for more information).

Personal Service

We love to introduce people to the joy of pens and inks. That means we work with you to find the pen best suited to your hand, penmanship, and individual style. We’re here to provide inspiration whether you are a seasoned pen aficionado or a first timer 8 year old. Hands-on is what pens are all about, so we encourage you to test drive our fountain pens, roller balls, jell pens and ballpoints. Call or e-mail us for an appointment, and we will provide you with individualized service and undivided attention. Whether you are choosing a pen for yourself or a friend or are interested in corporate gift giving, we have the information and expertise to assist you in making informed and admired choices.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:18 AM

41 posts, read 35,248 times
seeing as how i dont live there i cant say but i do make variety pens on wood lathe using anything from different types of wood arcylic and other material. its a fun hobby as well as rest woodworking. and surprisingly they can be sold for quite a bit.

I dunno if they have a woodcraft store in alaska but could be fun thing to get into and learn if woodworking is something you like.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:25 AM

1,926 posts, read 3,711,488 times
In Anchorage there are usually a few booths in the walkways of the Malls with local artisans selling handmade pens. Perhaps there are some in Fairbanks as well.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:45 AM

4,321 posts, read 3,215,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder396 View Post
seeing as how i dont live there i cant say but i do make variety pens on wood lathe using anything from different types of wood arcylic and other material. its a fun hobby as well as rest woodworking. and surprisingly they can be sold for quite a bit.

I dunno if they have a woodcraft store in alaska but could be fun thing to get into and learn if woodworking is something you like.
Sounds like you should create a new thread How To: w/photographs!

Old 11-28-2011, 01:27 AM

41 posts, read 35,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Sounds like you should create a new thread How To: w/photographs!

lol well seeing as i no longer have the tools and equipment or shop to do it now i cant exactly do a how to with photos and progress

Old 11-28-2011, 01:59 AM

868 posts, read 1,054,609 times
This is totally off-topic, but I dreamed last night about using a fountain pen. My horrible, chicken scratch penmanship was transformed.

There is something very romantic, I think, about a letter on fine paper, written with a fine pen.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:03 AM

4,057 posts, read 8,249,005 times
What a coincidence! I used to have nice penmanship but not any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks