Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 02:51 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnhow View Post
Alaska makes me want to cry. Just looking at the immense wonderland around you. Those pictures were gorgeouos. I live in vermont and its beautiful here but nothing in comparison to even one sunrise or sunset in alaska.I hope to return and explore some more.Ii did alot of hiking and soul seaching in the 7 short months we stayed. I have two children now and the possibility of living there, now seems out of reach.Enjoy every moment. I wish I could be there. We even visited a hot spring for a few days while we were up there in september and they were the most amazing things I had ever experienced as went along with many of my experiences up there.

Jess in the green mountains of vermont
There is beauty in every place you live. I have lived across Lake Champlain (across Vermont), and have driven all around the Northern shores of the lake numerous times. Winters and Falls are quite beautiful on "your side of the pond." Sometimes I miss the maple trees during the Fall.

That said, every now and then I see a small pockets of land that remind me of the foliage around the Northern Vermont, but not exactly the same without maple trees

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 08:08 PM

13 posts, read 21,482 times
Winter Alaska, captured my imagination. Unfortunately, I had only a small camera .

Old 08-11-2013, 04:21 AM

26,144 posts, read 19,692,695 times
A small camera??

THOSE WERE BEAUTIFUL (Not small at all)

Thank you for sharing them!!!

Old 08-11-2013, 06:24 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,882,303 times
A friend of mine and me were caravanning up to Mile 101 of the Steese as I work there for the Yukon Quest and she was run off the road. It was during a blizzard so I caught some film of it. While sitting there I got a flat.

Waiting for the snow plow to pull Carol out of the ditch. - YouTube

The DOT guy told me to stay in my vehicle and that his buddies in full gear was going to come change my tire, which they did, because they are awesome.

Blizzard on 12 Mile Summit. - YouTube

Old 08-11-2013, 12:44 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times
Driving the Steese during the winter can be quite difficult, specially past mile 101 toward Eagle Summit. I fell sort for some of the folks by Central, but most stock-up with foods and other supplies for winter ahead of time. It gets quite foggy at Eagle, even during the summer. When that happens one can't see the road. I remember a few years ago while driving through there having to slow down to 15 MPH. Could hardly see the road in front of me, so I drove slowly with the lights and flashers on.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:17 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,882,303 times
Yep, last year 3 seperate members of our crew ended up in the ditch on their way up there. Everyone was ok. The DOT keep really busy that time of year because they know all the handlers, vets, judges, and volunteers are driving it. Oh not to mention the media.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:16 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,229,657 times
Glad everyone was OK. That looks like quite a storm. I got to Central in January on what happened to be a very quiet day. Saw a few caribou and fewer vehicles. Folks at the Steese Roadhouse (now 'Central Corner') said they hadn't seen that many people there in a long time.

Winter pictures....  (fairbanks... arcticthaw?)-alaska-2013-sony034a.jpg

Winter pictures....  (fairbanks... arcticthaw?)-alaska-2013-sony036a.jpg

Winter pictures....  (fairbanks... arcticthaw?)-alaska-2013-sony038a.jpg

Winter pictures....  (fairbanks... arcticthaw?)-alaska-2013146a.jpg

Winter pictures....  (fairbanks... arcticthaw?)-alaska-2013147a.jpg

Winter pictures....  (fairbanks... arcticthaw?)-alaska-2013152c1.jpg

Winter pictures....  (fairbanks... arcticthaw?)-alaska-2013157a.jpg

Old 08-11-2013, 10:19 PM

13 posts, read 21,482 times
Quote:
Thank you for sharing them!!!
My birthday in 2010, I celebrate in a small bar on the road, just south of Anderson. By the end of the evening, all visitors were my friends.
I love Alaska, for what it is.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks