U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:55 PM

1,675 posts, read 5,555,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icthy View Post
True, but I once lived in a bad neighborhood where you could hear gunshots every night, and didn't walk around after the sun went down. It really sucked.

I also grew up in a town with gangs, and I was afraid most days in high school. I don't want that for my kids.

And I like to walk and bike on the street....so hopefully I can do that in Fairbanks.
Well the only shots I normally hear on occasion is when the air is real cold I can hear the gun range. There are lots of places you can walk or jog in and around Fairbanks, I do see most women have a dog along or with someone. There is a small gang problem here but mostly wannabees. WE still have bicyclists out even in the cold. Those are some hardy individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 09:27 PM

15,695 posts, read 25,302,452 times
Quote:
True, but I once lived in a bad neighborhood where you could hear gunshots every night, and didn't walk around after the sun went down. It really sucked.

I also grew up in a town with gangs, and I was afraid most days in high school. I don't want that for my kids.

And I like to walk and bike on the street....so hopefully I can do that in Fairbanks.
You won't believe the number of street bikers in fairbanks and vicinity, even in the middle of the winter. Thee are people jogging on the streets at the University and in Fairbanks from HS kids to old timers who can hardly move.

Crime statistics, specially the "per-capita" ones may be useful, but quite often and for whatever reason, are misused. Take a look at the data in the link I posted a page back, and read the explanations by the persons who created the tables. That will give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:08 AM

13 posts, read 107,617 times
Thank, everyone. I gather, after further research, the crime rate is raised by two factors. The first is that Fairbanks serve a much larger community than its official population, so the crime rate should probably be reduced by a factor of 2 - 2.5 to adjust for that. Also, I'm told there is some crime associated with the large-ish number of service people in town.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:05 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,073,451 times
Quote:
Thanks, that's good to know. Although I prefer not to die of the cold...
Having never really died of cold, that experience eludes me thusfar. But... several years ago, duck hunting in January, was cold (well.... for N.C. it was cold about 15 degrees w/ a brisk wind) about an inch of ice on the swamp. I was about waist deep breaking the ice to retreive a mallard drake, I noticed a clear spot and thought this would be the easiest path, WRONG, I knew that the clear spot meant deeper water, but wasn't thinking clearly, went in over my head, kept my shotgun dry, I was dunked. backed out of the hole and eventually my body heat warmed up the water in my waders. I continued hunting, got two more ducks, another mallard and a wood duck. I couldn't get up the hill to get out of the swamp, the water in my waders got heavier as I climbed out, so, took off my waders and crawled up to the railroad tracks that crossed the swamp. Bad move, my clothes froze. Oddly enough, I wasn't at all cold. The guy I was hunting with (never duck hunt alone) helped me get back to my truck, he drove, the heater was doing no good for me at this point. I was quite comfortable, cheerful, not cold, could not move or speak quickly, just tired. Wanted to go to sleep, quite peaceful, no fear at all, perhaps one of the most serene moments I have ever had. Obviously I survived the hypothermia, took me three days to thaw out....slowly, I slept a lot, friends made sure I ate and walked some each day, kept my wood stove going and talked with me to insure I understood where I was, said they knew I would survive when I started getting lippy.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:34 AM

4,053 posts, read 6,480,995 times
One thing to remember about Alaska and Fairbanks in particular is the demographic for young men in their 20's and 30's is a lot greater than the figures for that same demographic in the lower 48. Add to a volatile situation another demographic. . . the same age group of Women is drastically lower. Concentrations of sexually frustrated Men in those age groups means TROUBLE. The preceding was just a Wild Ass Guess onmy part. However if anyone takes the time to look up the facts and finds that I am wrong, please feel free to correct me.

GL2

Old 12-21-2007, 10:36 AM

4,053 posts, read 6,480,995 times
Question for Dusty Rhodes: Are you the same Dusty Rhodes that used to post on one of the Trucking Newsgroups?

GL2

Old 12-21-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Question for Dusty Rhodes: Are you the same Dusty Rhodes that used to post on one of the Trucking Newsgroups?

GL2
Nope, sorry, tis not I. It seems that a lot of us Rhodes end up with a "Dusty", I am a 5th generation one. The Wrestler, (he's the one I hear most about) was really named Virgil Runnels, can understand why he wanted to wrestle under my name, not his own. First degree name thievery it was!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 01:30 PM

15,582 posts, read 33,172,081 times
We had a Dusty Rhodes down my way that had the most awesome lodge out in Funny River area. Made the best meals. Unfortunately the lodge burned down and Dusty has since moved on to the other side. Which has absolutely nothing to do with crime in Fairbanks. But it is almost a crime that the lodge is no longer there to enjoy.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:39 AM

1,252 posts, read 635,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
We had a Dusty Rhodes down my way .....since moved on to the other side.
Are you sure Dusty 'moved on to the other side', as you call it?

Old 12-22-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
Are you sure Dusty 'moved on to the other side', as you call it?
Y'all talkin' about me in the third person is makin' me a bit nervous. Perhaps I really have moved on to "the other side" and am just too dense to notice. Am also surprized that y'all have heard about my cookin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks