U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-17-2012, 05:01 PM

48 posts, read 37,237 times

Advertisements

Thanks everybody for all the good tips!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 07:41 PM

13,048 posts, read 14,664,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaNana View Post
Also check out yard sales, especially during Jun-Aug as that's when the Military does most of their PCSing (Permanent Change of Station, ie. moves). Can get great deals when peolpe are moving since most don't want to move the weight. I had Verizon in Tok, but ACS was the local provider so I had no internet or picture messages. I was told ATT worked also but don't know since I have had Verizon for 9 years. I did have ACS 10 years ago for home and internet and had no problems other than having to wait a long time to get installation. I am gone from home so often I need my cell, mainly because of my mom right now but also because my son-in-lawis in the USA and deployed.
Excellent points about garage sales and such, and also about shopping around for the cheapest Internet or cell phone provider.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:05 AM

9 posts, read 7,199 times
You'll be fine on 55k! I moved here from Texas 9 months ago and was making slightly less than that, with a $500 car payment and haven't had any problems. I was also a recent college grad so was already accustomed to the "minimalist" lifestyle and was able to make the transition with relative ease. Don't get me wrong though, on 55k you can't buy a house here. Even rather modest cabins can cost $200k+, and yes, can cost hundreds to heat in the winter. None of the decent apartments that I looked at in Fairbanks allow pets. I have a one bedroom apartment in one of the nicer complexes and pay about $1,000 per month which includes heat and cable TV. Internet is $65 per month. AT&T works fine.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPea2011 View Post
You'll be fine on 55k! I moved here from Texas 9 months ago and was making slightly less than that, with a $500 car payment and haven't had any problems. I was also a recent college grad so was already accustomed to the "minimalist" lifestyle and was able to make the transition with relative ease. Don't get me wrong though, on 55k you can't buy a house here. Even rather modest cabins can cost $200k+, and yes, can cost hundreds to heat in the winter. None of the decent apartments that I looked at in Fairbanks allow pets. I have a one bedroom apartment in one of the nicer complexes and pay about $1,000 per month which includes heat and cable TV. Internet is $65 per month. AT&T works fine.
Thanks!

I've done some looking around and I must say, "nicer" apartments seem fairly difficult to come by in Fairbanks. At least looking online anyway. Any suggestions for some of the more decent places? I've pretty much settled on not being able to have pets for the first year or two that I'm there, unfortunately.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:27 PM

4,045 posts, read 5,435,626 times
I was born in Fairbanks and have lived there from time to time....but as a renter, good luck finding a place that will allow pets. I don't know why but it seems to be very strict there.

I lived on roughly that salary in Anchorage, but I have two kids so my expenses are more. I had student loan payments, housing the cheapest I could find, a gas and electric bill, and transportation costs. I had trouble and I didn't have any luxuries or frills but again, I did have kids to feed and also had to rent a somewhat larger place to accommodate them. Keep in mind though that Fairbanks does not have a natural gas line as we did in Anchorage, so you will have to get deliveries made to a tank. Fuel is really expensive up there. You might check out a cabin, but try to find one that is not dry, which means it has no water and and outhouse. Some are not able to get cable though so you might have to get a satellite.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I was born in Fairbanks and have lived there from time to time....but as a renter, good luck finding a place that will allow pets. I don't know why but it seems to be very strict there.

I lived on roughly that salary in Anchorage, but I have two kids so my expenses are more. I had student loan payments, housing the cheapest I could find, a gas and electric bill, and transportation costs. I had trouble and I didn't have any luxuries or frills but again, I did have kids to feed and also had to rent a somewhat larger place to accommodate them. Keep in mind though that Fairbanks does not have a natural gas line as we did in Anchorage, so you will have to get deliveries made to a tank. Fuel is really expensive up there. You might check out a cabin, but try to find one that is not dry, which means it has no water and and outhouse. Some are not able to get cable though so you might have to get a satellite.
Thanks for the info!

Yeah, figured on not being able to have pets until I'm in a situation where I can possibly buy instead of rent. Gonna really suck, because I've had big dogs all of my life. Definitely not gonna do the dry cabin thing. I'm slightly OCD when it comes to washing my hands and cleanliness, so no running water and the outhouse aren't an option

Old 09-09-2012, 02:57 AM

1,303 posts, read 981,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag24 View Post
I've done some looking around and I must say, "nicer" apartments seem fairly difficult to come by in Fairbanks.
Well, given the housing market landlords don't have a ton of incentive to jazz things up; they can rent crumbly places for substantial prices. Plus I'd venture to say that nicer housing in general is less prevalent...you should see some of the interesting places people I know have plenty of money own and inhabit Just not the highest priority for a lot of folks.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Well, given the housing market landlords don't have a ton of incentive to jazz things up; they can rent crumbly places for substantial prices. Plus I'd venture to say that nicer housing in general is less prevalent...you should see some of the interesting places people I know have plenty of money own and inhabit Just not the highest priority for a lot of folks.
Yeah, that's pretty much the impression I've gotten.

What about timing? Is there a particular time of the year where more apartments/rentals come open? The reason I ask is that I'll be moving up in the beginning of October, but I'll have transitional housing for up to 3 months if I need it. My concern is that there won't be much available come December/January when I need to find a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks