Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 11:10 PM

863 posts, read 2,076,829 times

Advertisements

Moving up in December may be a bit rough (I'm assuming you're driving). Unless we're having a warm spell, with lows above zero, you'll probably want to get your car winterized well south of Alaska. Shops in the upper midwest and rocky mountain states should be familiar with freeze plug block heaters. Switch to synthetic oil and get winter tires (or maybe good all seasons).

About clothing, you don't need anything specific to get you through, though you'll figure out what's most convenient when you get up here. Wool socks, any sort of boots, two layers on bottom, two coats or sweaters on top, gloves, and a wool hat for everyone is plenty. Plus lots of blankets in the car in case of emergencies.

We don't have Verizon up here per say, but they have a deal with Alaska Communications, and I've known several people who kept their Verizon plans after they moved up here.

I've never really heard anything terrible or spectacular about the schools in Fairbanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 05:48 AM

25 posts, read 71,322 times
My son is currently stationed at Ft. Wainwright... I am currently in Florida but we did move our family to Alaska in 2007. We drove from Florida in April. I do not see a great trip for anyone in DECEMBER! The Army will transport your vehicle and fly you and your family there. It seriously takes over 2 weeks to drive there from down south and that is in the Spring. To drive it, in Dec. you will likely find a lot of road closures and no gas stations that are operating.
Luckily my son had already lived in Alaska and knew what to expect. There was no "cold weather" briefing or anything like that. They put him on a plane and off he went. He lives on base and I can assure you that if you live off base, you will pay a lot more for food and housing. Try to buy clothing before you go and let the Army pay to ship it. And plan on doing a lot of your shopping online once there. And yes, take your vehicle in to be winterized beforehand. Block warmer, auto starter etc.. You'll need it. But most of all, embrace the experience. Alaska is an amazing experience that few will ever have. It is beautiful and exciting. You will walk away a stronger person. I guarantee it!

Old 09-29-2012, 09:28 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
If a company would ship my stuff and fly me up there... That's what I would do.

I loved my drive and wouldn't trade it, but I didn't have to make it by a certain date for a job and have to worry about moving in somewhere. AND it was during the summer, not the winter.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. It will be an adventure either way!

Old 09-29-2012, 12:43 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMomof5 View Post
My son is currently stationed at Ft. Wainwright... I am currently in Florida but we did move our family to Alaska in 2007. We drove from Florida in April. I do not see a great trip for anyone in DECEMBER! The Army will transport your vehicle and fly you and your family there. It seriously takes over 2 weeks to drive there from down south and that is in the Spring. To drive it, in Dec. you will likely find a lot of road closures and no gas stations that are operating.
Luckily my son had already lived in Alaska and knew what to expect. There was no "cold weather" briefing or anything like that. They put him on a plane and off he went. He lives on base and I can assure you that if you live off base, you will pay a lot more for food and housing. Try to buy clothing before you go and let the Army pay to ship it. And plan on doing a lot of your shopping online once there. And yes, take your vehicle in to be winterized beforehand. Block warmer, auto starter etc.. You'll need it. But most of all, embrace the experience. Alaska is an amazing experience that few will ever have. It is beautiful and exciting. You will walk away a stronger person. I guarantee it!
Sometimes the persons at the military Personnel's Office do not provide you with the information you need before departure from one place to the next. But when I was in the AF I was always provided with a point of contact (sponsor) at the new air base ahead of time. I usually had two or three weeks before departure to communicate with my sponsor via telephone, or mail. Besides that, I had a briefing relating to traveling through Canada in relation to the following: cash at hand I needed for emergencies, laws relating to firearms, passport, and so forth. Then when arriving at the new location I would call my sponsor, and he or she would be my guide for a few hours, but only if that's what I wanted. Once I would process through, then I would receive briefings relating to the new military installation, weather, clothing, travel and other rules, and so forth. I also had the options to take my dependents through some of the non-military briefings that related to dependents.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Quote:
To drive it, in Dec. you will likely find a lot of road closures and no gas stations that are operating.
Open year round lodges on the Alcan:

Jake's Corner, also open year round.
Continental Divide Lodge.
Teslin, Yukon.
Twenty miles south of Watson Lake is a place called Contact Creek, it claims to have fuel cheaper than Watson.
Toad River
Liard River Hot Springs,
Buckinghorse Lodge, BC.

Alaska Highway Travel, Road Log and Highway Maps

Old 09-30-2012, 09:06 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
I was given advice that here in southern lower 48 they dont know how to winterize the proper way and to get it done in pacific nw or alaska

Quote:

Old 09-30-2012, 02:12 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
How to Drive to Alaska in the Winter - ExploreNorth

Old 09-30-2012, 05:07 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
I was given advice that here in southern lower 48 they dont know how to winterize the proper way and to get it done in pacific nw or alaska

I can attest to that... Most shops in the Southern US do not even know what a block heater is, much less how to install it. AND that is just the tip of the iceberg on cold weather prep...

Old 10-01-2012, 11:01 AM

25 posts, read 71,322 times
Default It's a challenge no matter what time of year...

I have driven to and from Alaska to SW Florida twice. It is a challenging trip in April. Experienced road closures, avalanches, difficulty finding fuel, etc... I just don't want anyone thinking that the trip is going to be a breeze with a nice rest area every 20 miles, Flying J truck stops or Holiday Inn Express. It just isn't like that. And for the record, Canada is expensive! And it will take you 5-7 days to get through it. Make sure you have cash on hand. It is required. I think it was 500.00 the last time I went through customs. Declare any weapons, and make sure you have one. A quick potty break at a ?porto potty? and there was a dead bear laying next to the door. Make sure to have extra fuel at all times. This tidbit saved our butts twice. Preparation is the key. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,902 times
We just found out we will be relocating here as well next year. In the winter..im thinking Brutal. Can anyone enlighten me on what to expect? Do you know how good the Sprint phone service is in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks