U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,875 times

Advertisements

Hello I am in the military and I have orders to PCS to Fort Wainwright and I am just trying to get a little information before I start making my transition to move there with my family.

Q1: I have read previous posts about cold weather clothing, that I should buy them when I get there but what would I need to get for my family and myself to help us stay a little warm since we are coming from Fort Hood, TX.

Q2: Where are some good places to get your car winterized, I will be getting the correct antifreeze mixture in my car before that but what else can I do before I get there. Should I get an auto start on my car before I get there or wait until I arrive.

Q3: What are the schools in the area like over there.

Q4: I have seen threads and comments about cell phone service but I did not see anything mention anything about Verizon Wireless, does anyone know if Verizon offers service there because that is who I am currently with and I am on contract with them until at least Oct 2013.

Thank you for all your comments and your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 01:23 PM

15,695 posts, read 25,308,395 times
Being stationed @ Fort Wainwright.

Fort Wainwright questions

moving to ft wainwright from ft hood (to fairbanks from texas)

Fort Wainwright Bound

Possible Fort Wainwright Move, Need to know anything and everything?

Old 09-26-2012, 03:16 PM

4,986 posts, read 7,894,961 times
Just out of curiosity, does the military provide any special educational resources to those relocating to Alaska? I remember when I used to PCS (back in the 80's) I would just get my orders with a date and location and the move would be largely up to me. I would need to fill out some forms to get reimbursed for the expenses if I drove, but how I actually made the trip was largely unsupervised.

I would think the military would provide some special guidance to those relocating up here. Particularly if driving, and espescially in the winter. But of course, this is the Government we are talking about here...

Old 09-26-2012, 03:52 PM

21,337 posts, read 30,935,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
I would think the military would provide some special guidance to those relocating up here. Particularly if driving, and espescially in the winter. But of course, this is the Government we are talking about here...
That would cost us taxpayers a bunch of money, remember they pay 10,000 for a toilet.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
That would cost us taxpayers a bunch of money, remember they pay 10,000 for a toilet.
Yep, probably $5,000 for a copy of the Milepost!

Old 09-26-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, does the military provide any special educational resources to those relocating to Alaska? I remember when I used to PCS (back in the 80's) I would just get my orders with a date and location and the move would be largely up to me. I would need to fill out some forms to get reimbursed for the expenses if I drove, but how I actually made the trip was largely unsupervised.

It should be the same way as you have done before. One has a predetermined amount of time to arrive at the new destination, military pay/or expenses for the trip (lodging, travel miles, etc.) are provided ahead of time by the military, and if one incurs in additional expenses related to the move, the military reimburses you if it's an allowable expense.

But before a PCS move the military provides details relating to traveling through Canada, from issues as firearms, and everything else. Also, if one asks, they can provide points of contact at the new destination relating to the same questions asked by military members and their dependents in this forum. If one is planning to live on post or not, details about housing and the rest can be provided by the Housing Office at the new destination, too. All it takes is a phone call or E-mail, etc., and can be done from one installation to the other using military telephones or computers that are set-up for this purpose at the Personnel Offices.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:26 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,232,767 times
I have verizon wireless and I also brought along an ATT phone on my recent vacation which included going thru Fairbanks. Verizon worked just fine -- assuming there was any cell phone service to begin with. Typically they either both worked or both did not work. In/around Fairbanks and other towns I had service, sometimes even the highways between the towns had service.

HOWEVER, straying from civilization was when service was sketchy, which is easy to do in AK.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:33 AM

1,121 posts, read 1,143,393 times
Also have a Verizon dumb phone and it worked very well in Fairbanks and on Cleary Summit.

A smart phone would be fun, but I can't justify the extra cost.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
But before a PCS move the military provides details relating to traveling through Canada, from issues as firearms, and everything else. Also, if one asks, they can provide points of contact at the new destination relating to the same questions asked by military members and their dependents in this forum. If one is planning to live on post or not, details about housing and the rest can be provided by the Housing Office at the new destination, too. All it takes is a phone call or E-mail, etc., and can be done from one installation to the other using military telephones or computers that are set-up for this purpose at the Personnel Offices.
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of some kind of mandatory safety briefing/orientation for the Service Member (and even dependents) about living and travelling in Arctic conditions.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of some kind of mandatory safety briefing/orientation for the Service Member (and even dependents) about living and travelling in Arctic conditions.
I retired in 1994, but back then the AF did have such orientations, although it was not mandatory for dependents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks