U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 03:29 AM

434 posts, read 350,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
WOW! I'm surprised Irene lived as long as she did. Due to her disfigurement, demeanor, she appeared
much, much older. Thanks for the links...going there now!
Interesting sites. The only one I was unable to access was the Clara Rust interview (perhaps
it is/was an issue in navigating the webpage). It was touching that the old cemetery was reopened
to accommodate Irene's' remains, she certainly qualified as a "pioneer".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 02:36 AM

Default The Ladies who worked at Clear?

In the early - mid 60's there were a number of ladies who "worked" as "hostesses" near Clear, who would occasionally "vacation" in Fairbanks. These ladies, most originally from various parts Outside the interior, did like to party! In the early '60's, many of them also kept apartments in the Polaris building, a few in the Northward.

I'm informed that several eventually gained respectability by marrying men from Fairbanks, ( Brenda, Val, are you still there?.

If anyone knows any of these ladies, have them DM me here. It would be interesting to chat with them.

Thanks

Old 08-30-2014, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,514 times
Quote:
Seems most of the post on this thread relate to moving to Fairbanks, housing, shopping, etc.

Are there any old timers who lived in Fairbanks when AK became a state, or shortly thereafter, still
around? Anyone pre-dating the 1960's Chena flood?

Such as, Wien Alaska Airlines, before they had jets? Alaska Airlines had one jet ( a Convair 880, which
Alaska Airlines promoted as "Four Jets To Alaska", as it had four jet engines )! Red Boucher was their
Fairbanks sales manager.

The often debated myth that the bars in Fairbanks had seating for the entire population of Fairbanks?
( In retrospect, this may not have been a myth)!

The only high rise structures were the Northward and the Polaris?

Or, to the seamier side, Renee Starr at the Western Inn? (Now this should get some ones attention)!

If anyone recognizes any of the above, let the later arrivals hear about it.
Anyone out there recognize the name Miss STARR Bright? 60's 70's? was a singer/performer/dancer. I know she played some clubs in Anchorage. Fairbanks? I found some promotion pictures of her. Would like to know more about her and her act

Old 09-17-2014, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,460 times
Have enjoyed reading..Just stumbled onto this site while looking for possibly contacting some pictures of Two Rivers Community.My daddy was in the AF & stationed at Ladd before it changed to Ft.Wainwright.We moved to Fairbanks in 1955/56, lived on O'Conner Rd. & used to walk up to Kramer Field(dairy farm at time)to catch school bus. I started 1st grade at Main Elementary.We homesteaded at the 19 or 20 Mile maker off Chena Hot Springs Rd. in Two Rivers Community.The McKee family at that time was the end of the grated road,anyone living past there lived on what we called the sled road.We lived in town,while cutting & peeling logs off our property for our cabin(on weekends & living out in a tent or out buildings durng the summer).My 2nd grade year I attended Nordale Elementary & rode the bus from homestead 25 miles to school.My next to the youngest sister of 6 children was born in Fairbanks. we have movies of the Golden Days Parades, Eleanor Moses (Miss Alaska) old road equipment etc.I'm sure this isn't what you wanted posted but I was so very excited to find a sight where someone may have pictures of Two Rivers Community & our cabin,which I understand burned down in the early 70's. we only have one short clip of our cabin front on our movies & was hopeing to find some others. You are my first attempt of locateing. Thank you for your time & look forward to hearing from somebody who may have known stuff during 1955 thru 1962 when we moved back stateside.My email address is crystalm1019@gmail.com. Look forward to hopefully some bites.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:07 PM

Shelly,

Glad you found the thread. Sadly, my knowledge of Fairbanks is limited to the 1961 - 64 period, although I did keep
in touch with several friends after that period. Unfortunately, I don't have any information regarding the time period you are looking for. Other than perhaps referencing some of the tips offered here by others, I'd suggest contacting the Alaska History department at UAF. They might be of some assistance. Good luck..

Old 10-06-2014, 07:26 PM

946 posts, read 1,580,176 times
Quote:
I'd suggest contacting the Alaska History department at UAF.
Shelly, as a follow-up to the above comment, you can visit Alaska's Digital Archives to access a number of digital archives for Alaska. It has a search function you can use to try to find anything of interest. You can click on the UAF collection link on the main page to access/search just that collection or run the search on all collections from the main page of the archives.

Another organization to potentially contact would be the Tanana-Yukon Historical Society (see website at Fairbanks History, Tanana-Yukon Historical Society). Perhaps they might be able to help. The Contact menu item on the website provides contact information for them.

Rich

Old 10-07-2014, 02:16 AM

Thanks, Rich, those were the locations/sites I was referring to...

Old 09-10-2015, 06:38 PM

Default ..all the old timers gone? It appears so...

Seems this thread has run aground! Are all the old times nodding off, forgetting to sign on, or simply no
longer interested?

In times past, youngsters were eager to learn from the experiences of the earlier generations. Is it possible
the younger generation relies exclusively on popular culture for their intellectual stimulation? Does People magazine represent the premier source of societal information? If so, we are doomed!

...just an old guys opinion.

"So, junior, go ahead, taste the yellow snow...might be a lemon snow cone!"

Old 09-10-2015, 08:04 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,892,521 times
My Great Aunt Janie lived in Fairbanks... mostly in the summer and she traveled to FL for winter. She was awesome!!

Old 09-11-2015, 10:08 PM

946 posts, read 1,580,176 times
I'm still monitoring the thread but seems like Fairbanks old timers aren't active on it. Too bad, I'd love to hear more stories from back in the day. Guess that means I'm getting old.

Maybe it's just that the current Fairbanks isn't anything like the old Fairbanks. Hard for youngsters to relate to something that is completely foreign to them.

I definitely wish that I had gotten my dad talking more about his growing up there. He lived there all his life, from 1914-1996 and hardly ever was away from the area. He's been gone almost 20 years now and I'd love to know more about what it was like for him as a kid, young adult and later on in life in Fairbanks. He gave me just enough hints at what must have been some great times. (He referred to the grandfather of one of the kids my son knew as the one who forged all their excuses in high school.) Really really wish I had taken the time to sit down with him and chat about the old days.

If you haven't read it yet, I would strongly recommend reading Boom Town Boy, a true story about growing up in Fairbanks in the 1930s-1950s - Boom Town Boy: Coming of Age on Alaska's Lost Frontier: Jack de Yonge: 9781935347064: Amazon.com: Books. I found it fascinating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks